Headland, Hartlepool.

No, still work all over Hartlepool, was on the Oakesway Industrial Estate last week so drove past Bruce Crescent (which incidentally another poster called a shithole as well - see above).
Tbh my Nan ( R.I.P.)was brought up in Sandsend Crescent and did very well for herself. Several of my uncles were also brought up in that street, one of them got me into S.A.F.C. by taking me to Roker Park when I was six years old. One of those Uncles passed away last year and his house in another part of town is currently for sale for £400k not bad for a Sandsend boy.
Anyway, the walk around the Headland prom and the beaches are pretty good wouldnt you agree ?

Never been to the Headland. Go to Seaton all the time, and always think "I need to go over <there> one of these days". 41 years and counting lol

Yep. It's still decent enough and it is still limited in opening times.
The one further down northgate is canny as well. It didn't used to be too clever from what I remember, years ago but me and our lass got one about 2 years ago and it was nice.
Verrills do proper mushy peas and their curry's decent.
99% of the time I would get a half lot with scraps and a carton of mushy peas.
On my greedier days I'd add a carton of curry to that and a bun or a savoury patty to share with my wife. All washed down with a can of fanta or sunkist or sprite or coke, depending.

Oh, I do go on a bit. :)
If your calling at Verrills or The Pot House pub, you can also check out the ANDY CAPP statue on York Pl. I'll have a walk around there myself next time I'm down Hartlepool for a match, I don't know when that will be though?

Tbh my Nan ( R.I.P.)was brought up in Sandsend Crescent and did very well for herself. Several of my uncles were also brought up in that street, one of them got me into S.A.F.C. by taking me to Roker Park when I was six years old. One of those Uncles passed away last year and his house in another part of town is currently for sale for £400k not bad for a Sandsend boy.
Anyway, the walk around the Headland prom and the beaches are pretty good wouldnt you agree ?

Yeah it's lovely up there. And tbh the kids who destroyed Sandsend probably weren't from Sandsend. It was a shame because they were big houses & pretty decent.

I regularly walk along the prom there. Park at the end of Marine Drive where the road stops then walk the prom, sometimes as far as the fish quay. The beach there is great as well and I walk that in the summer.
We take our dogs along there regularly (until this lockdown).
Love that stretch of beach - always fairly quiet, and i like to wander around the old Cemetery too with my camera (being a grave digging person).

Some buildings with great character, we came close to buying a house on Catherine Street a few years ago.

They haven't 're-named' it.
The original Blue Hall is still called Blue hall, but the other part is known as Norton grange

Yeah but the Norton Grange bit was the rough part of Blue Hall & they re-named it because they were struggling to get people to move there because of it's reputation.

Where/what is Barkers place ?

I just picked a random dtreet near the fishquay to help outsiders mate.

Suprised I dont knoe every fecking street as have my littlest on a pokemon hunt 4-5 nights a week!:lol:

The pot house kitchen is ran by BURGER DING now:lol: must be a roaring success as you cant order a burger till feb ffs!!!

We take our dogs along there regularly (until this lockdown).
Love that stretch of beach - always fairly quiet, and i like to wander around the old Cemetery too with my camera (being a grave digging person).

Some buildings with great character, we came close to buying a house on Catherine Street a few years ago.
There’s a beauty for sale on right move right now. Fantastic views, it’s on South Crescent if you wanna look. Only problem with those houses is they have all back yards, not back gardens.
Is there anything of interest in that cemetery ? Never been in.

Years ago I went there to see a band at a pub on the headland called "The Fish".

Pulled up outside and it looked like the last place on earth you might want to drink. Went in anyway and it was like a scene from a cowboy movie when we walked in. Everyone just stopped. Decided to "have one and leave".

5 minutes later stood at the bar, loads of crack with the locals and a superb night. Completly the opposite of what we expected.
Is there anything of interest in that cemetery ? Never been in.

Nah... its dead

Last edited:
Just got back from a very pleasant walk along Marine Drive to the Heugh Battery on the lower and back on the upper prom . Not rammed at all unlike Seaton when we got back
That’s what we do, upper prom one way, lower prom on way back. Was at Seaton yesterday, it’s getting worse. So busy and no one moving out of the way. Feckin cyclists paying hundreds for their Lycra and thousands for their bikes but can’t afford a feckin bell. Speeding along silently at feck knows how many mph.
None of that on the Headland. Also if you time it right you can dodge the waves on the lower prom.👍
Years ago I went there to see a band at a pub on the headland called "The Fish".

Pulled up outside and it looked like the last place on earth you might want to drink. Went in anyway and it was like a scene from a cowboy movie when we walked in. Everyone just stopped. Decided to "have one and leave".

5 minutes later stood at the bar, loads of crack with the locals and a superb night. Completly the opposite of what we expected.

Nah... its dead
The Fish was my regular for twenty odd years back in the day.

Yeah it was a bit scruffy at the time and that's why I never went in, plus it was talked about as not being up to scratch. But, it changed hands and ended up decent. I don't exactly know what it's like now because it was a couple of years ago and Verrill's is always the one we go to if we decide to have a headland jaunt.

The miers avenue one used to be top notch. They done proper fish patties and what not. It was decent.
It was took over and went down the nick because it turned into an everything fishy and the standard went right down.
It was always close to empty every time I passed it.
Warren Road chippy, is top notch, these days.
They only use beef dripping, to fry their fish 'n' chips in. 👍

Hartlepool ISN'T a shithole . Try getting around the place. Bruce Crescent is not Hartlepool,it's a 4kin street area.All towns have an area that is not up to your standards. More new expensive house whichdoes include Wynyard ,the desired area for prem footballers and affluent people who love privacy.

how can you say bruce crescent isn't hartlepool yet wynyard is?

If I lived near there, you would never get me out of the place. Cracking pub, and proof there is so much more to a pub than the decor or design.

Staff, customers and live music made it. Hope its still as good
Back in the day you could go in there at tea time and have Fishermen , Binmen, Dole Wallers,Policeman, Doctors, Chavs all walks of life putting the World right.
The best pint of Strongarm anywhere helped like.

Back