Hayes being touted for Chelsea job ...!

But why do they get the chance? They've never coached.
That's because rightly or wrongly they are almost guaranteed instant respect. A players respect for the coach will effect how much effort they will put into the game, you just have to look at many other clubs to prove that, for example Mourinho at Man Utd, there's no denying he's qualified for the job, but he lost the dressing room.

Whereas a manager from the women's league isn't likely to get respect from a lot of the players in the squad, same as if a league 2 manager took over at Chelsea.
With the Women's game being at such a low level compared to the men's then there's a discussion to be had whether that coaching experience is worth much to Chelsea in the first place.

She should start lower imo. She may gain the respect of the players at Chelsea if she joined, but it's far more of a gamble than I think Chelsea would be willing to take.

Last edited:
Ex players get jobs without any coaching experience. How does that work?

Well they've worked at top clubs before with top players and worked under top coaches, I don't even think you believe what you are saying

It you'd rather we appointed Emma Hayes than Frank Lampard in the sumner, then good luck to you.

It looks like Frank Lampard is in the running for the job and is the favourite. One coaching at Derby County in The Championship. Emma Hayes has been managing and coaching since 2001. But yet no one would bat an eye lid if ex-Chelsea & England player Frank Lampard got the job over a person who has 18 years of coaching experience under their belt.

I don't think Hayes will get the job and it's too big of a job for a novice. But when Derby appointed Lampard and Rangers appointed Gerrard people were saying they were great appointments even though they had zero experience. Why shouldn't they start down in the conference or League 2?

That's because rightly or wrongly they are almost guaranteed instant respect. A players respect for the coach will effect how much effort they will put into the game, you just have to look at many other clubs to prove that, for example Mourinho at Man Utd, there's no denying he's qualified for the job, but he lost the dressing room.

Whereas a manager from the women's league isn't likely to get respect from a lot of the players in the squad, same as if a league 2 manager took over at Chelsea.
With the Women's game being at such a low level compared to the men's then there's a discussion to be had whether that coaching experience is worth much to Chelsea in the first place.

She should start lower imo. She may gain the respect of the players at Chelsea if she joined, but it's far more of a gamble than I think Chelsea would be willing to take.

A lower league mens player doesn't get a coaching job without experience

elite football players will always get jobs, nothing to do with women, others have to work their way up

as should Emma Hayes

It looks like Frank Lampard is in the running for the job and is the favourite. One coaching at Derby County in The Championship. Emma Hayes has been managing and coaching since 2001. But yet no one would bat an eye lid if ex-Chelsea & England player Frank Lampard got the job over a person who has 18 years of coaching experience under their belt.

I don't think Hayes will get the job and it's too big of a job for a novice. But when Derby appointed Lampard and Rangers appointed Gerrard people were saying they were great appointments even though they had zero experience. Why shouldn't they start down in the conference or League 2?

Well its pretty straight forward, they demand instant respect from their players for what they have achieved in the game, they've also taken all their coaching badges to elite level and worked under top coaches

it might not always work but theres no chance coaching in semi professional womens football in the early 2000s has much relevance, Lampard and Gerrard's experience of being in European Cup winning dressing rooms is much more relevant.

If Emma Hayes wants a career in the mens game, like other players and coaches who aren't big names, she will have to start lower down.

Jose, Wenger etc, they had to work from the bottom as they weren't big name players, how it works

Big name players have an in.

Last edited:

:lol:

Well they've worked at top clubs before with top players and worked under top coaches, I don't even think you believe what you are saying

It you'd rather we appointed Emma Hayes than Frank Lampard in the sumner, then good luck to you.
Mourinho was a translator at Porto and Barcelona.
Wenger was an amateur footballer.
Benitez retired at 26.
Van Gaal was a PE teacher.

This is not just about being a woman but about ex-players like Lampard and Gerrard walking into big jobs with no experience but coaches who have worked from the ground up getting over looked because they don't have a big name.

Mourinho was a translator at Porto and Barcelona.
Wenger was an amateur footballer.
Benitez retired at 26.
Van Gaal was a PE teacher.

This is not just about being a woman but about ex-players like Lampard and Gerrard walking into big jobs with no experience but coaches who have worked from the ground up getting over looked because they don't have a big name.

eh? :confused:

Thats literally the point I am making, people with non playing backgrounds have to work up from the bottom, ex big name players get a foot in the door because of their experience in top dressing rooms under top coaches

its fair enough like

All of which means, Hayes needs to work her way up

A lower league mens player doesn't get a coaching job without experience

elite football players will always get jobs, nothing to do with women, others have to work their way up

as should Emma Hayes

Well its pretty straight forward, they demand instant respect from their players for what they have achieved in the game, they've also taken all their coaching badges to elite level and worked under top coaches

it might not always work but theres no chance coaching in semi professional womens football in the early 2000s has much relevance, Lampard and Gerrard's experience of being in European Cup winning dressing rooms is much more relevant.

If Emma Hayes wants a career in the mens game, like other players and coaches who aren't big names, she will have to start lower down.

Jose, Wenger etc, they had to work from the bottom as they weren't big name players, how it works

Big name players have an in.
Like Gary Neville?

That's the problem, big names mean more than coaching qualities. There's more to coaching than respect.

Why should Frank Lampard get the Chelsea job ahead say David Wagner or Chris Hughton?

Last edited:

Thats literally the point I am making, people with non playing backgrounds have to work up from the bottom, ex big name players get a foot in the door because of their experience in top dressing rooms under top coaches

its fair enough like

What I'm saying is it's wrong. Ex-players like Lampard should have to earn their way just like Jack Ross has too.

Well does the fact he’s a Chelsea legend not give you a hint?
What experience does he have? Zola is a Chelsea legend. Poyet is a Chelsea legend. Is that all you need now?

its fair enough like

There are no rules about this. It might work, it might not. If not she's got valuable experience and may have to take it to a lower level, but she'll still be better off than someone who doesn't have the experience.

It's a chaotic profession.

Don't tell me what I am and what I am not thinking. You said she needed to coach at a lower level then make her way up. I've simply asked why that doesn't apply to some ex players and why do good managers at a lower level not get top jobs.

I've never once said I preferred her over anyone. Kindly stop making things up.

Back