Haway then, who was there 33 years ago for the "Rotherham carnival" ?

I was there,without the fancy dress. SYP did their best to try and spoil the party. I was staying with a Leicester fan in Sheffield - he wore his Marco badge with pride though. I arranged to meet my uncle and cousin, the arrangement was, "more or less in the middle" and that worked, no mobile phones then for micro managing the day.

Not saying its big or clever but as drunk an overall SAFC following as there's been-absolute carnage!
Not long after the Miners Strike and lots of Sunderland, Seaham, Easington, Horden NCB lads having some, erm, lively banter with South Yorkshire's finest over the Policing methods of said strike era.
A mad day all round. The Sunderland fan taking the penna summed the chaos up :lol:

Cracking day out, but rather than fancy dress, just dressed in beach wear. Was drinking in the same pub as Rueben, sat next to him. Great bloke who had time for everyone whilst getting hammered like everyone else

Another of my favourite ever away days.

50 odd seater bus full of looneys from Hunwick, Crook, Willington and Brandon. We'd arranged to go to the Groves Club in Conisbrough (as we often did on away trips) before and after the match. Got down there for half 9 and the back door was open with breakfast ready for us. A "couple of pints" later we weaved our way into the car park and off we went. As described above it was carnage from start to finish, the game went to plan and we celebrated like we'd won the World Cup.

Back to Conisbrough. The Club was open and was quite full when we got there. No hassle at all and most just enjoyed watching us make arses out of ourselves. There was a Saturday night 'turn' on and they didn't know what had hit them. Lads getting on the stage and joining in and I have a strange recollection of dancing on stage in a coconut bra and straw skirt :lol:

Anyway, around 10 o'clock one of the lads drags me out of the club and says come with me. There was a pub about 400 yards away and it seemed to get noisier and noisier as we approached. As I entered I saw that it wasn't exactly a lads pub and was for a more refined crowd of couples but they were all either laughing, or shouting at something in the lounge. I went in to be greeted by the sight of a lad called Tony (R.I.P.) sitting playing the piano stark bollock naked, singing his mackem heart out and refusing all appeals to leave / stop. It was a fitting end to a glorious day out. Days like these made it all worthwhile and is why I will always love my club and fellow fans. STID.

Back