Having a pop at the Manager

I refuse to watch the pressas mate.
went off them with Moyes
even if we win I don't need to hear a load of words tbh. Actions speak louder imo
seems a sensible approach mate. i'd much rather let the players feet do the talking. I actually stopped paying heed mesel mate under moyes but then i tuned in again to give mesel a bit of hope to cling to amid all the draws and missed sheets. but the gaffer there with his voice with his dour droning voice mate, it's a anathema to us.

Is it really acceptable and can it also be justified, that people have a pop at any team manager/coach having won his/hers last three games. I personally think not, Thoughts!

The results v Pompey and Rochdale could easily have gone the other way.
I am delighted we have won the last 3, but fook me the football is not good to watch. Last night was crap - the passing was poor again, the lack of crosses in to the box for Charlie when we had chances to do so, giving the opposition far too much space etc etc.
We had a, decent spell v Pompey, but still didn't make their keeper have to make a save 2nd half.
It's just poor but it should be better with the players we have got.
I would be genuinely amazed if we got top 2 with Ross as I just don't think has what it takes but hope to be proved wrong.

I refuse to watch the pressas mate.
went off them with Moyes
even if we win I don't need to hear a load of words tbh. Actions speak louder imo

No offence but your first sentence makes no sense

It was in response to his first question defining.

Is it really acceptable and can it also be justified, that people have a pop at any team manager/coach having won his/hers last three games. I personally think not, Thoughts!

Who lead us to our worst position in the clubs history and couldn't get us promoted from an extremely easy league? Absolutely!

Think your missing the point TS, they didn’t so I’m not dealing in fairytales. Do you personally think it’s warranted. Forget that we may well get beat next game and then it’s business as usual I suspect for some on here, I’m interested in the points and circumstances I’ve stated.

At this precise time GG is my point, do you think you have the right at this moment in time.

Forgive me mate I don’t 😀
Was JR's criticism of the club's fans warranted when he talked of their 'expectations' ? They way he sets up teams, the fact that we play turgid football at times then inevitably he will get some pelters. He should get into a mindset of lets f***ing have a go at this league rather than ultra cautious. Imagine if he took the fan base with him rather than constantly trying to dampen down their expectations

The owners said 100 points.. We're on target for that as it stands. Honestly don't get this whole witch hunt against the boss. I'm not his biggest fan, but as long as he's Sunderland manager I'll back the bloke.. Play shite and win games 2-1 for all I care. Wins are wins.

This for sure.

Just take it to the extreme.
What if we win every game 1-0 yet don't actually do anything with the ball, but for some reason the opposition keep scoring own goals.
We don't have a shot and barely touch the ball in opposition half, we have 50 shots against us and are generally playing really badly, yet we win somehow.
Would it be ok to say that we were playing badly and the the manager might not be great or because we are winning that its all ok and nothing can be said?

As has been said above nothing is ever black and white and its clear we haven't been playing well so far this year. We are all waiting for us to kick on as we can see it work in fits and starts.

So yes I believe you can criticise a manger after winning 3 games on the bounce.

If a manager had that Midas alchemy formula (be it extremely lucky beyond belief as you suggest) then you would be pretty rash to change it surely. Mate I’m under no illusions that it’s not perfect, yes we were excellent against Pompey and perhaps average and lucky for the away team at Spotlands. Sunderland rolling into Rochdale is one of their biggest if not biggest games this season, barring a big cup draw(assuming they progress) it wasn’t pretty but the result was. That’s your opinion, I think it’s harsh and wrong.
Who lead us to our worst position in the clubs history and couldn't get us promoted from an extremely easy league? Absolutely!

Why is it extremely easy when we have similar calibre players.

Last edited:
This for sure.

If a manager had that Midas alchemy formula (be it extremely lucky beyond belief as you suggest) then you would be pretty rash to change it surely. Mate I’m under no illusions that it’s not perfect, yes we were excellent against Pompey and perhaps average and lucky for the away team at Spotlands. Sunderland rolling into Rochdale is one of their biggest if not biggest games this season, barring a big cup draw(assuming they progress) it wasn’t pretty but the result was. That’s your opinion, I think it’s harsh and wrong.
I always said it doesn’t matter as long as we win. However it feels like we are underperforming.
I’m also not sure you could say we excellent against Portsmouth.
I’m not Ross out but I can understand why some people aren’t too impressed.

This for sure.

Why is it extremely easy when we have similar calibre players.

Biggest budget in the league and he's the first manager to fail in our recent history to get promotion in their first season, after a takeover and player overhaul....Do your homework before responding with utter shite.

Biggest budget in the league and he's the first manager to fail in our recent history to get promotion in their first season, after a takeover and player overhaul....Do your homework before responding with utter shite.
Biggest budget to replace over half the squad who had left after successive relegations..

I always said it doesn’t matter as long as we win. However it feels like we are underperforming.
I’m also not sure you could say we excellent against Portsmouth.
I’m not Ross out but I can understand why some people aren’t too impressed.

I thought the result and game management against Pompey was excellent. I was next to a Pompey fan watching it and he said we mugged them off and were more business like astute. Again my point of wanting his head even after three wins on the bounce. Do you personally think this is right.

Your petty response is probably part the reason we have had as many managers in as many years. Player overhaul, do you seriously think these players bar one or possibly two, are better than the ones we were forced or had to get rid of. Homework Hmmmm.
failed to make it 3 relegations in a row? However, we certainly turned a corner and were very unlucky not to get promoted at first time of asking, despite having to replace over half a squad..

Don’t worry mate he’s done his homework apparently, who’s talking shite.

Last edited:
I thought the result and game management against Pompey was excellent. I was next to a Pompey fan watching it and he said we mugged them off and were more business like astute. Again my point of wanting his head even after three wins on the bounce. Do you personally think this is right.
Personally I don’t think it matters if it’s 3 wins in a row. When does it become acceptable to criticise?
People are pointing out that we aren’t great, and haven’t been for a while.
Wins are great but are they just papering over the cracks.
Usually I’m more than happy to give managers time, I’d have stuck with loads of the previous managers probably incorrectly but I thought they were mostly short changed.
I think the issue most have is that Ross promised so much, he came and said all the right things. He came with a positive outlook and seemed to make positive changes. Slowly as the season went on that all changed.
Still annoys me that he doesn’t play 4-3-3 with a high press though, but as long as we are slowly progressing forward I’m happy enough to give him time.
Do I think other managers could do better, probably.

Was JR's criticism of the club's fans warranted when he talked of their 'expectations' ? They way he sets up teams, the fact that we play turgid football at times then inevitably he will get some pelters. He should get into a mindset of lets f***ing have a go at this league rather than ultra cautious. Imagine if he took the fan base with him rather than constantly trying to dampen down their expectations

You have a valid point TS in your first sentence which I take on board. Regarding your latter paragraphs you are right, but it bounces back to all of SAFC staff,players and fans aligning and progressing it to take it to the next stage. I don’t think this can ever be achieved however when a manager gets berated having won three on the bounce.
Personally I don’t think it matters if it’s 3 wins in a row. When does it become acceptable to criticise? Possibly after a month of straight defeats.
People are pointing out that we aren’t great, and haven’t been for a while.
Wins are great but are they just papering over the cracks.
Usually I’m more than happy to give managers time, I’d have stuck with loads of the previous managers probably incorrectly but I thought they were mostly short changed. were you?
I think the issue most have is that Ross promised so much, he came and said all the right things. He came with a positive outlook and seemed to make positive changes. Slowly as the season went on that all changed.
Still annoys me that he doesn’t play 4-3-3 with a high press though, but as long as we are slowly progressing forward I’m happy enough to give him time.
Do I think other managers could do better, probably. Coleman, Grayson

Last edited:

In case it's slipped your attention, this manager, with by far the biggest resources available FAILED to get SAFC out of the Turd Tier of English football, LOST both Wembley finals, managed to draw over 15 league games against piss-pot opposition and "managed" SAFC to it's WORST EVER POSITION IN IT'S ENTIRE HISTORY.

Are you blind or absolutely dense, lad?

He should have been sacked last year. He had one objective to achieve and failed DISMALLY.
its perfectly acceptable to discuss the match, our tactics, individual performances, the opposition etc.. whether they be in praise, or criticism, or somewhere in the great grey area between the two

problem is with posts like the OP, and many other dimwits, is that things always need to appear black and white, either clap or boo, think we are amazing or proper shit. then there is the majority of normal posters who just like to discuss the game, the manager etc... positives AND negatives.

and last night there were plenty of both. the scoreline shouldnt dictate which ones we can talk about

In the Turd Division..... that is just laughable, we're a f***ing national embarrassment and in this shit-house league for a 2nd consecutive season

Last edited:

It's not right to criticise any team / manager / tactics until 10 games have been played.

The systems simply haven't bedded in until that point

Of course, it’s a message board for opinions

My opinion after the play off final was he deserved a chance this season.

Pre season and the opening couple of games had me worried that I’d been wrong in May. It wasn’t the results. It was his process. The formation, isolating our better players while moving too many others out of favoured positions. Too timid.

A few wins has certainly settled things, although I’m still worried how he’s setting us up. We need to be bolder and try and control games. We need to take a game by the scruff of the neck and see it out. We need to keep a clean sheet.

We backed him in the summer and it’s too early to be sacking him. We’ve got to give him at least 10 games or so.
Genuinely hope it works. I’m sure all fans do. If it does then we’re having a good season. I also like him, just not overly convinced he’s the right man.

Over to Ross and the players

Last edited:

Back