Have we sacked the ball people?

Wasn’t it the job of the juniors who played for SAFC in the past to attend match days to be ball boys ?
A kind of duty if you want to play for the club, assume them days have gone.

He called someone a f***ing idiot apparently, Cheeky twat.

It's not he ballboys fault either, it looked like we only had one ball throughout the whole game.
I can confirm the last two talkin's meetings I've been too, Bally has been dismissive of the questioner or just rolled his eyes.. There is a problem with the ball boys/girls/non binarys at Sunderland and there has been for years now. Just look at Liverpools Spurs, Chelsea's staff etc or even Bolton Wanderers for those that were there to see how its done to help the team . Its a part of the whole game to help the lads win or not lose at times...

Wasn’t it the job of the juniors who played for SAFC in the past to attend match days to be ball boys ?
A kind of duty if you want to play for the club, assume them days have gone.

They used to be paid staff members so the same ones every week.

Ellis sacked them and now we invite a different team each match. I think that's the problem as each match you have new bairns who are awed by the experience rather than concentrating on getting the ball back quickly. Not the bairns fault as they're only bairns being bairns!

I think a permanent team of ball boys focused on the job benefits us and I would prefer it to go back to how it was.

A few points. Firstly, there were 2 ball boys/girls behind the goal. As they have always tended to be, they are slow to reacting and dont read the game to be prepared for the ball.
Secondly, a lot of the fan's complaining probably didnt attend. If fans attended then we'd of had fans to throw the ball back.
Third, this happened midway though the 2nd half iirc. If the keeper hadn't been so shit and dropped the ball through his legs, he'd not have needed to run into the stand to get the ball as we'd have been able to take our time.

There are bigger issues than a player trying to quickly get the ball back in play. Like the atmosphere around the club at the moment.

Ellis sacked them and now we invite a different team each match. I think that's the problem as each match you have new bairns who are awed by the experience rather than concentrating on getting the ball back quickly. Not the bairns fault as they're only bairns being bairns!

I think a permanent team of ball boys focused on the job benefits us and I would prefer it to go back to how it was.

You are telling me that Ellis Short, a multi-company owning billionaire, was involved in our club to the level of detail of sacking the ball-boys - and nobody, not one single person he delegated power to, might have made the decision instead? Give over...

I agree, a pool of 30/40 boys and girls who do it week in week out. They get told to be aware of the game situation,quick if needed, slow it down when winning etc. Something people around the ages of 12-16 should be able to grasp

Why aren’t the ball boys doing their job though man.
is it a generation thing, as in do they think they’re to cool or something. for years the ball takes a bastard age to get back unless it lands in the crowd. It’s a shite small time thing to moan about I know but it has done my head in for ages as well as a load of my mates.
I know there’s loads more to moan andshout about but it’s so simple to fix.
that today is fuckin embarrassing.
get some kids who want to be there and support the team and like magic they’ll get it back quick as fuck Because they care.
Ive got 2 kids who are 5 and 9 who’d be over the moon to do that.
Simples
You have hit the nail on the head, took the words out of my mouth.

A few points. Firstly, there were 2 ball boys/girls behind the goal. As they have always tended to be, they are slow to reacting and dont read the game to be prepared for the ball.
Secondly, a lot of the fan's complaining probably didnt attend. If fans attended then we'd of had fans to throw the ball back.
Third, this happened midway though the 2nd half iirc. If the keeper hadn't been so shit and dropped the ball through his legs, he'd not have needed to run into the stand to get the ball as we'd have been able to take our time.

There are bigger issues than a player trying to quickly get the ball back in play. Like the atmosphere around the club at the moment.

Can you honestly blame anyone for staying away ?

Can you honestly blame anyone for staying away ?

People can do what they want. They'll have their reasons. But don't then say it's embarrassing when we have to close down stands because your not going. The club needs everyone (especially the fans) to be pulling together. Easy to slag off owners/managers/players, but we're all in this together and need to push together to get out of this league this season

Again,as I have stated on another previous thread...will you please and kindly...FUCK RIGHT OFF WITH YOUR POLITICS....we have enough shit to deal with at our club than having to deal with ' point scoring knobs' like you.
Righty o charlie
You are telling me that Ellis Short, a multi-company owning billionaire, was involved in our club to the level of detail of sacking the ball-boys - and nobody, not one single person he delegated power to, might have made the decision instead? Give over...
That's how ruthless people become billionaires

Last edited:
Is this not just the fact the ballboys weren't that close to this specific section of a large empty stand so Jon decided to jump over and do it himself?

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image
can they not f***ing move like?

also who thought it was a good idea not to have ball boys near the goal. I know our shots go nowhere near the goal but bit presumptuous to assume the oppositions won't.

also who thought it was a good idea not to have ball boys near the goal. I know our shots go nowhere near the goal but bit presumptuous to assume the oppositions won't.
I was going to say surely the ball must have been gone in the stand at another point, but then remembered we have hardly any shots so possibly not from us.

I'm guessing they either weren't paying attention or Jon was simply quicker than them to this empty section. Someone else said one of the ballboys started moving but McLaughlin waved him away.

The ball went in twice prior to this and on both occasions the ball boy/girl went and retrieved the ball, it just took time to run to the stairs, up them and then throw the ball back.

On this occasion, the keeper was closer to the stairs, and decided the quickest way to get on with it was to run up them.

Anyone who was at the game will have seen this.

Whole story is utter bollocks and another excuse to have a go at the club.

Wonder what the Americans thought watching that... hopefully there is some clause so they can take over if SD fail to get us up as I can't see it happening under these lot I'm afraid.

Either more is hopefully going on in background and they are under strict NDA's or we haven't a pot the piss in so the yanks felt sorry for us and gave us 10m...

Which is the equivalent to a tenner to this lot... If SD is true to his word and want's what is best for the club and will walk if he needs to then why does he want to stay on?

Not going to get a better opportunity with people like that those Americans ever again.

Back