Have we got a rat problem?

Needs reporting that mate, disease ridden things, spreading illness ...

When we were walking through it didn’t seem to surprise people when we spotted one..a woman walked past us with her two kids and we heard her say ‘look there’s one on the fence’..they were in the little waterfall just along from the play area..we saw a few more in the bushes as we walked along to the bandstand..on the long walkway back along to the kids play area they were on the path
about 20ft in front of us..they scarpered into the bushes when we got close..about 6.30 yesterday evening we saw the big one in the play area..it disappeared under the big slide..horrible.

When we were walking through it didn’t seem to surprise people when we spotted one..a woman walked past us with her two kids and we heard her say ‘look there’s one on the fence’..they were in the little waterfall just along from the play area..we saw a few more in the bushes as we walked along to the bandstand..on the long walkway back along to the kids play area they were on the path
about 20ft in front of us..they scarpered into the bushes when we got close..about 6.30 yesterday evening we saw the big one in the play area..it disappeared under the big slide..horrible.
Rats, kiddies play area, rats Pissing over everything they come into contact with..., not a good combination .

Got to be so careful as once you have an infestation it really is difficult. I live abroad and we've a small olive grove. Last year we couldn't take the crop to the mill because of covid restrictions so we didnt harvest them and just had to let them fall. Big mistake, we had an invasion of the ferks.
The dogs, and we've two terriers and a spanish water dog, were frantic and couldn't cope. We tried about half a dozen humane traps which when we caught any we'd take them down to the river and release them. Then one day we got pulled over by the dreaded Guardia Civil and they found three traps with live rats in the boot. The conversation that followed was one of the most interesting I have ever had. You can maybe imagine.
Eventually as they seemed to have no fear I had to put down poison. Six stations dotted around and I've no doubt the poison you get here probably isn't allowed back home. Then someone pointed out that if you have dead rats lying around that have died of poison the next thing that results is that the carrion birds, and vultures here are a protected species, eat the dead rats and you end up, quite rightly , copping fines as well as messing up the ecosystem. So best of luck back home but it took me a good 6 months to sort out. I havent spotted any signs recently.

Back