Have the James Bond films always been shown on ITV?

Sky had repeats for a year according to this 2012 article and UK premieres since 1990s

BSkyB has broken ITV's almost 40-year hold on James Bond films, striking a deal to air the full 22-strong franchise in high definition. Sky Movies has struck a deal with MGM to air all the Bond films, including Daniel Craig's latest outing in Skyfall which is due to premiere on pay-TV next spring, from October.

Bond films have been a staple of ITV's movie output since 1975. Sky has held pay-TV rights to new Bond movies since the 1990s, giving the satellite broadcaster the UK TV premiere of each. Until now ITV has held the rights to repeat old Bond movies and broadcast the free-to-air premiere of new films in the franchise.

However, Sky now appears to have acquired all UK TV rights, shutting ITV out, although it is understood that the deal is only for one year.

Last edited:
I wasn’t doubting it’s on ITV now, it was originally on BBC though. I am doubting it’s the best Bond film though, mental statement, doesn’t even have the Bond theme!
The fact it's not a prope Bond is probably what makes it. It has none of the silly trappings of the Moore era for a start

It's a decent plot - Thunderball rehashed.

Connery's the best Bond. The ageing over the hill angle really works.

Basinger is one of the best Bond girls ever.

The villain's one of the better Bond villains, and played by a proper actor.

The action sequences are quality. The bike chase is mint.

I think it's a proper enjoyable Bond film me - was always one of me faves growing up.

Back