Have the fanzines cost us out potential?

The fanzines can't take all the blame. 14500 @Donald out tweets and a hell of a lot of these were posted before the fanzines statement

I think most fans look up to the fanzines, especially the RAWA , once the @donaldout tweets started fans followed, but then again, if we are promoted, I don't think Donald can afford what we need to compete.....

I think it's time for a meeting between fans groups and Donald.....

I think most fans look up to the fanzines, especially the RAWA , once the @donaldout tweets started fans followed, but then again, if we are promoted, I don't think Donald can afford what we need to compete.....

I think it's time for a meeting between fans groups and Donald.....
I think it was more a case of the fanzines siding with the fans.
Another meeting.
Can't see it happening at the moment. I think I get where you coming from though, a clear the air meeting?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that simple and straight forward though, is it? We can go round in circles all you like after last night but the fact is the 'club' was valued at £15m. SD has stated that anyone who wants to buy the club will have to buy Madrox, who owe SD/JS £25m? So he wants what he paid and what he's invested. Income is lower and we're not as attractive as he'd hoped we'd be.

Not exactly. It was originally meant to be £15m direct to Short, £25m to Short from the club for club debt, and £25m from SD/CM into the club for legacy transfers and legal costs according to those articles etc we looked at last night. Then (again according to the articles we read last night) because of the Ndong situation not being quite what it was supposed to be, the £15m up front became £5m up front and £10m in installments because SD/CM had to cover the extra £10m difference to what Short had presented them originally. So they still paid £40m to acquire the club. (all according to those articles).

Happy to be corrected if anyone knows of any updates that came later.

Last edited:
I think it was more a case of the fanzines siding with the fans.
Another meeting.
Can't see it happening at the moment. I think I get where you coming from though, a clear the air meeting?

Just about yeh, but the fans need to know if we have a decent budget if promoted, or if this is dependent on investors/takeover.

Not exactly. It was originally meant to be £15m direct to Short, £25m to Short from the club for club debt, and £25m from SD/CM into the club for legacy transfers and legal costs according to those articles etc we looked at last night. Then (again according to the articles we read last night) because of the Ndong situation not being quite what it was supposed to be, the £15m up front became £5m up front and £10m in installments. So they still paid £40m to acquire the club. (all according to those articles).

Agreed. However, in that interview on BBC Newcastle he stated anyone wishing to buy the club would have to purchase Madrox, and in the same interview he stated that Madrox owe him and JS to the tune of at least £25m so anyone wanting to buy will have to take on that debt. If we'd got promoted last season then he's be within his rights to value the club higher, but currently we aren't worth £40m.

Agreed. However, in that interview on BBC Newcastle he stated anyone wishing to buy the club would have to purchase Madrox, and in the same interview he stated that Madrox owe him and JS to the tune of at least £25m so anyone wanting to buy will have to take on that debt. If we'd got promoted last season then he's be within his rights to value the club higher, but currently we aren't worth £40m.

Don't suppose you've got a link to this interview by any chance? I'd quite like to hear the full thing.

Don't suppose you've got a link to this interview by any chance? I'd quite like to hear the full thing.

Hopefully that will work, not sure though as not the best at linking things.

Just about yeh, but the fans need to know if we have a decent budget if promoted, or if this is dependent on investors/takeover.
IMO Donald is praying for promotion so he can get a decent price and funding for next season will be in the hands of the new owners.

We have some toxic fans and quite a few who are posing as fans on forums like this who aren't Sunderland at all.

The fanzines didn't speak for many.

Has it put buyers off? I wouldn't have thought it would have helped attract the right kind.

If they took one look at the way Quinny was treated by some for saying you can't shout for the club to spend millions on players time after time and then sit around the corner from the stadium watching the match on telly, contributing f*ck all towards the finances. It was disgraceful the pelters he got.

But it could help make players minds up in the negative about whether to come.

The fact that we've got more reasonable, supportive fans needs amplifying right now. The type that the Netflix series evidenced so well.

We have some toxic fans and quite a few who are posing as fans on forums like this who aren't Sunderland at all.

The fanzines didn't speak for many.

Has it put buyers off? I wouldn't have thought it would have helped attract the right kind.

If they took one look at the way Quinny was treated by some for saying you can't shout for the club to spend millions on players time after time and then sit around the corner from the stadium watching the match on telly, contributing f*ck all towards the finances. It was disgraceful the pelters he got.

But it could help make players minds up in the negative about whether to come.

The fact that we've got more reasonable, supportive fans needs amplifying right now. The type that the Netflix series evidenced so well.

I‘d be stunned if prospective buyers were put off by a few internet comments. That’s if they’d even be aware of it. Surely anyone looking to buy us would be looking at match day crowds/season ticket sales and be thinking ‘wow, they’re league 1 and this is their fanbase, how good would it be if we made them successful’.

I‘d be stunned if prospective buyers were put off by a few internet comments. That’s if they’d even be aware of it. Surely anyone looking to buy us would be looking at match day crowds/season ticket sales and be thinking ‘wow, they’re league 1 and this is their fanbase, how good would it be if we made them successful’.

Depends what their motivation was. If what drew them to us was what they saw on Netflixs, this latest PR is far from it.

It's a great interview. The "would have to buy Madrox" thing has been on but I haven't heard the "Madrox owes the owners money" bit. I'm probably a bit too tired and tipsy to take this in properly but there's some proper clarification in there about how they bought the club and what the loan from the Americans is all about, what the role of the Americans could be going forward, not just to do with the club but to do with the area as a whole, and putting to bed some of the rumours that were in the papers.

I'll have another listen to this tomorrow, but again it's making me think that a lot of folks on here have just been jumping in with a whirlwind of rumours that aren't true and using them as more and more evidence against the owners in their eyes, but they're actually just repeating each other's unfounded rumours so many times that they're convincing each other more and more in a kind of a snowball effect but based on things that simply aren't true.

Every one of these interviews I've listened to over the past few days have made me like SD more and more and make me more and more suspicious of the arguments to get rid of the owners.

The anti-SD stuff just doesn't add up for me. And the more of these I listen to, the less it makes sense to me that folks want rid of him. I just don't get it.

The fanzines can't take all the blame. 14500 @Donald out tweets and a hell of a lot of these were posted before the fanzines statement

Not all of those retweets will be from Sunderland fans though mate. Also, we all know social media is not a fair reflection of our actual support.

The fanzines will be shitting themselves if we have turned the corner

The price is the reason nee fucker is buying us.
But nah, people have already decided its poor old Donald getting abuse.
Not all of those retweets will be from Sunderland fans though mate. Also, we all know social media is not a fair reflection of our actual support.

The fanzines will be shitting themselves if we have turned the corner
Not really, theres still no future under Donald. Hes been trying to sell for ages and would have planned to whether we stay up or go down. Hes never wanted a long term future at the club.

Last edited:
When will folk learn its always about the money!.......... anybody who thinks donald is selling because of the fans group statement i have a timeshare on the moon for sale ..great view but shit atmosphere and school run is a bit of a hassle though!
Just stick to your negative patter because you aint no comedian.

Back