Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

TheWanderer

Striker
I've agreed to do the 10 mile Tough Mudder in July this year, now as most on here know I'm not the most active, sit in an office chair all day and enjoy loads of drink and bait.

I've basically got 20 weeks to get into some sort of shape to tackle this course, this will act as a catalyst towards a healthier lifestyle.

I'm 43, about 16 1/2 stone, can probably run 5k with effort, and looking for advice f
rom any of you which have done something similar.

My current thoughts are to spend the next 8 weeks doing cardio in the form of spinning and dusting the running shoes down and getting out on the streets (3 days spinning, 3/4 days running) cutting calories, and trying to lose as much weight as possible, and then from week 9 start resistance training, dropping the spinning and continuing the running with the aim to build upper body strength which I understand is needed to get round this course.

Does that sound like a decent enough plan, is it possible to go from pretty much zero to being in a decent enough state to finish this course in 20 weeks?

I've agreed to do the 10 mile Tough Mudder in July this year, now as most on here know I'm not the most active, sit in an office chair all day and enjoy loads of drink and bait.

I've basically got 20 weeks to get into some sort of shape to tackle this course, this will act as a catalyst towards a healthier lifestyle.

I'm 43, about 16 1/2 stone, can probably run 5k with effort, and looking for advice f

My current thoughts are to spend the next 8 weeks doing cardio in the form of spinning and dusting the running shoes down and getting out on the streets (3 days spinning, 3/4 days running) cutting calories, and trying to lose as much weight as possible, and then from week 9 start resistance training, dropping the spinning and continuing the running with the aim to build upper body strength which I understand is needed to get round this course.

Does that sound like a decent enough plan, is it possible to go from pretty much zero to being in a decent enough state to finish this course in 20 weeks?

I would probably add in some core training mate, squats, planks etc, that help ward off any injuries you might get going from zero to 6 times a week efforts.

I think you need to be mindful that you have not been very active. 6 or 7 days days a week doing spinning/running would be considered over training for a gym fanatic that has been at it all their life, for a person who isnt active its a recipe for disaster. As somebody who has done several mudders/similar events I can tell you that cardio isnt all that important. Yes it would be beneficial if you had the lung power of an African elephant but its not really essential. Unless you are in one of the front groups there is a fair bit of waiting around at each of the obstacles, and generally teams are happy to plod around between them ensuring the conserve energy prior to the next obstacle. The only time its really worth moving fast is when you get out of Arctic Enema.

I would suggest the two most important physical attributes you work on are 1. staying injury free and 2. getting your weight down. Getting the weight down is down to better nutrition and less boozing. Remaining injury free is achieved through a sensible training plan and listening to your body. You also need to think about mental burn out, its a tough routine doing 6 or 7 training sessions a week.

In short I think you would be better off really cleaning up your eating habts and trying to lose as much padding as possible and perhaps 3 training sessions a week to begin with, 1x spin, 1x weights and 1x light jogging and then perhaps moving to 4x a week in a couple of months by adding another spin class. You can complete (most of) the course if you are unfit, you will not be able to if you are injured though.

Last edited:
I think you need to be mindful that you have not been very active. 6 or 7 days days a week doing spinning/running would be considered over training for a gym fanatic that has been at it all their life, for a person who isnt active its a recipe for disaster. As somebody who has done several mudders/similar events I can tell you that cardio isnt all that important. Yes it would be beneficial if you had the lung power of an African elephant but its not really essential. Unless you are in one of the front groups there is a fair bit of waiting around at each of the obstacles, and generally teams are happy to plod around between them ensuring the conserve energy prior to the next obstacle. The only time its really worth moving fast is when you get out of Arctic Enema.

I would suggest the two most important physical attributes you work on are 1. staying injury free and 2. getting your weight down. Getting the weight down is down to better nutrition and less boozing. Remaining injury free is achieved through a sensible training plan and listening to your body. You also need to think about mental burn out, its a tough routine doing 6 or 7 training sessions a week.

In short I think you would be better off really cleaning up your eating habts and trying to lose as much padding as possible and perhaps 3 training sessions a week to begin with, 1x spin, 1x weights and 1x light jogging and then perhaps moving to 4x a week in a couple of months by adding another spin class. You can complete (most of) the course if you are unfit, you will not be able to if you are injured though.
Ive not done a tough mudder but given what you say about the waiting and “plodding” it sounds like following a 10k plan might be a good idea and enough to get someone around? Sure there are a few of those that could work within the timescale given.

In direct answer to your question though absolutely not IMO you haven’t bitten off too much, it sounds like a good challenge so best to get started now :)

i did it 4/5 years ago with next to no training bud, one of the lads pushed himself all the way(ex army) and 3 of us(fatties) basically power walked our way round having a proper laugh. It’s really good craic(didn’t like the electric shock things mind but still funny af) and there’s no pressure on you to get going at any particular pace.

I wouldn’t be doing 6-7 sessions of anything a week. Personally I’d train for running by running. I’d ease myself in, say 2x2.5kms the first week and build up from there. Other people might think otherwise, but I don’t think resistance training will really help in such a relatively short space of time. It’s a better use of time to vary your running and fit in more sessions, for example one stamina run a week, one speed session, one hill session, one easy session and so on. I’d also save a session for yoga or Pilates once a week. Diet wise, you’ll get quite far just cutting down beer and empty calories/replacing crisps etc with more nutrition. Worth looking a a carb/protein recovery drink at a 2:1 ratio and things like fish oil for your joints.

Don't jump in to that sort of frequency with any sort of crazy exertion.

Remember the three variables to control across the board are intensity, frequency and overall volume. When one changes, there should be an adjustment to one of the others. A high intensity, frequency and volume training program is walking a tightrope above a tank of various potential injuries.

That said, you shouldn't have much issue if you simply get competent at a variety of fitness components. A base level of strength, aerobic fitness and some lactate threshold training should see you through fine. That could lead to a higher number of sessions per week, but just be cautious of trying to progress to hard at all different components of fitness/different energy systems.

Have you not thought about gym classes with a mixture of weights & cardio? I do body conditioning / circuits & kettlebells at the gym. Warm up to get the heart rate up then do various activities that include weights, body weight & elements of cardio. A lot of compound excel uses so you’ll challenge all muscle areas whilst you’re getting fitter.

:lol:

Monkey bars are difficult if your technique is wrong.

Wide gap - learn to swing your body.

Close gap - move hands quickly and ‘pedal’ with the legs.

Everything will be easier if you are stronger and less heavy.

I did Fast800 and trained 6 days a week from doing nowt. Quite enjoyed it apart from a back injury which meant I had to miss back day for a couple of weeks.

Still train 6 days a week - 4 days splits and two days full body, with a variety of circuits and cardio thrown in to relieve the boredom.

Looking forward to seeing you at the Silky or Herra parkrun mate. ;)
I had a look actually, both on a Saturday and our lass works so I’ve got the kids to look after unfortunately.
I'm going to get a drone and follow him round, whilst dropping burgers and hotdogs down for him at 15 min intervals. He couldn't do a lap of his garden man.
Only time I’ve seen you run was when you got chased by that 16 year old down Boro who gave you a clip! Like Mo running towards the coppers for help!
Aww, haway man mate. Don't give him an excuse to fail ffs. Let it naturally happen of its own accord.
That’s the motivation I need lads, keep it up!
I really hope he does it mate, honestly. He can train all he wants, it's the bait that will fuck him. The blokes like dusty bin.owt goes in.😀
My demons!!! Tasty f***ing food all owa!!! 😈

Last edited:

Back