Have I bitten off more than I can chew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've agreed to do the 10 mile Tough Mudder in July this year, now as most on here know I'm not the most active, sit in an office chair all day and enjoy loads of drink and bait.

I've basically got 20 weeks to get into some sort of shape to tackle this course, this will act as a catalyst towards a healthier lifestyle.

I'm 43, about 16 1/2 stone, can probably run 5k with effort, and looking for advice f
rom any of you which have done something similar.

My current thoughts are to spend the next 8 weeks doing cardio in the form of spinning and dusting the running shoes down and getting out on the streets (3 days spinning, 3/4 days running) cutting calories, and trying to lose as much weight as possible, and then from week 9 start resistance training, dropping the spinning and continuing the running with the aim to build upper body strength which I understand is needed to get round this course.

Does that sound like a decent enough plan, is it possible to go from pretty much zero to being in a decent enough state to finish this course in 20 weeks?

Will you wake up fitter and stronger than the day before? If the answer is yes don't worry about anything else.

Never knew about this like. Many participants?

I’ve only done it twice, was quieter than Parkrun, probably 50 or so on average, that was a while back though so it might have picked up since. Pre register is similar to Parkrun and it’s free as well, there’s one by Souter lighthouse as well, I’ve never done that one so don’t know if it’s any more popular than Mowbray Park or not.

I've never done one of these but my mate has got himself in great shape at aged 35 by using training for tough mudders as motivation. I think he did 3 last year.

Having something to train for definitely helps keep it up.

Never knew about this like. Many participants?
There's a results bit on that link; only 24 entrants last week with first place in a 21:30+ time...dare say I could turn up and have a chance with that! (provided none of yous turned up to spite like) . Running elsewhere this weekend anyway though

There's a results bit on that link; only 24 entrants last week with first place in a 21:30+ time...dare say I could turn up and have a chance with that! (provided none of yous turned up to spite like) . Running elsewhere this weekend anyway though
I was looking at the times as well and recon I could smash some of them times on my day I can comfortably run at 4:11 pace, a few years ago sub 20 minutes was no problem, before that in Rome when I was 40 17:30 was a regular time for a 5k, I finished first on nearly every run.
I'm Old and love beer too much now.

I've agreed to do the 10 mile Tough Mudder in July this year, now as most on here know I'm not the most active, sit in an office chair all day and enjoy loads of drink and bait.

I've basically got 20 weeks to get into some sort of shape to tackle this course, this will act as a catalyst towards a healthier lifestyle.

I'm 43, about 16 1/2 stone, can probably run 5k with effort, and looking for advice f

My current thoughts are to spend the next 8 weeks doing cardio in the form of spinning and dusting the running shoes down and getting out on the streets (3 days spinning, 3/4 days running) cutting calories, and trying to lose as much weight as possible, and then from week 9 start resistance training, dropping the spinning and continuing the running with the aim to build upper body strength which I understand is needed to get round this course.

Does that sound like a decent enough plan, is it possible to go from pretty much zero to being in a decent enough state to finish this course in 20 weeks?

Looks like you've managed to dodge a bullet here mate.

As long as you’re clever enough not to get stuck in clarts you’ll be fine*. I did the Major Series with a little bit of training and was fine. Did total warrior with zero training though and it nearly killed me

*if we all get better obviously

did you ever do this? :lol:

COVID cancelled it...thank fuck! 😉

And luckily for you your yearly exercise of running away from Boro supporters is cancelled too!
that's twice you've tried to get that in. Must try harder fatty .
must say you tickled me earlier in the thread saying you had the kids so both runs were off limits.. It took me back to them driving lessons on derby day...😁

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back