Hate the last day of the summer term, even 13 years on. It reminds me that

I remember talking to my sister in the front garden of her house in early 1996. She said she felt ancient because she was 50 and I told her jokingly that she had "always looked ancient to me". She called me a pig and punched my arm but it was all in good fun. A few months later my mam told me my sister had started slurring her speech and shortly after she was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease which killed her 4 years later.

That's awful. Obviously not the ancient joke because that's just siblings but the rest. There are diseases which are just horrible and Motor Neurone DIsease is one of them...

Absolutely horrendous hope your ok. I hate the day before the schools go back I remember secondary school I got a phone call from a friend telling me one of my very close mates had been ran over and died, will never ever ever forget that morning walking into school seeing the teachers in tears themselves consoling us as we walked into the gates.

I remember talking to my sister in the front garden of her house in early 1996. She said she felt ancient because she was 50 and I told her jokingly that she had "always looked ancient to me". She called me a pig and punched my arm but it was all in good fun. A few months later my mam told me my sister had started slurring her speech and shortly after she was diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease which killed her 4 years later.
That’s so sad, I am incredibly close to my little sister and she has had and is going through some very tough times health wise, looking a lot better now thankfully.so sorry to hear that mate, really sad.

You belong here as much as anyone.
I admit some of my posts are stronger than I feel.
Biggest torment is as a kid, and I’m going to sound a bit weak, is that growing up when you think about losing a parent you think you will have your sibling
Thats awful. Life can be cruel.
Today being 20th of July is my birthday and also the day my dad died on my 6th birthday aged 35.
They say time heals Janey, i wish it would hurry up mind.

I sometimes have a dream where I go back to Sunderland and she is OK and I say "I thought you had.........MND" and she says "No it was something else and I got better".
Aww I’m guessing from that you live/work away, bless you, that must be tough xx

Today being 20th of July is my birthday and also the day my dad died on my 6th birthday aged 35.
To lose your dad at that young age. And on your birthday too. :cry:

Last edited:

It sadly never will my friend and I guess what should be a day of celebration becomex a day of deep reflection.
Not alone and separated in spirit.
However you can still feel that love and that will always go two ways between you and your Dad forever. Love is like the floating spirit that only the sense of sight can’t see.
Happy Birthday and connection.

It sadly never will my friend and I guess what should be a day of celebration becomex a day of deep reflection.
Not alone and separated in spirit.
However you can still feel that love and that will always go two ways between you and your Dad forever. Love is like the floating spirit that only the sense of sight can’t see.
Happy Birthday and connection.

Bloody hell mate that’s so sad..hey I honestly think a fresh new era is about to start at SAFC and your dad will be watching..
Thanks for the kind words fellas

Hard to comprehend she was taken so quickly Janey. I suppose you can take heart if possible that her suffering was not drawn out too long.

Hard to comprehend she was taken so quickly Janey. I suppose you can take heart if possible that her suffering was not drawn out too long.
She was asleep for the last week, on life support to try and help the baby.
We were asked if we wanted to lessen her medication so she might wake up. We said no, she was asleep and not frightened and we didn’t need to tell her we loved her, she knew we did( me dad wanted her woken for one more last squeeze of the hand) .
If ever there is a lesson of don’t fall out, don’t have regrets ..

She was asleep for the last week, on life support to try and help the baby.
We were asked if we wanted to lessen her medication so she might wake up. We said no, she was asleep and not frightened and we didn’t need to tell her we loved her, she knew we did( me dad wanted her woken for one more last squeeze of the hand) .
If ever there is a lesson of don’t fall out, don’t have regrets ..

I lost my brother to Leukemia on November the 5th 1969 he was just 9. (there was 364 days between us). Every Bonfire night i recall all the good times we had together ..what he did i did, what he played with I played with, where he went i went etc .. and like you i have no regrets.

I lost my brother to Leukemia on November the 5th 1969 he was just 9. (there was 364 days between us). Every Bonfire night i recall all the good times we had together ..what he did i did, what he played with I played with, where he went i went etc .. and like you i have no regrets.
9 man no age at all.
Just shows, however long, you don’t ever forget, you don’t get over it, you learn to accept and live with it. xx

To all those that are suffering a loss of a beloved parent , child or relation my thoughts are with you. My parents never saw retirement and I often wonder and reflect what if. Things you wished you had talked about but never did for whatever reason. Stay strong .

Me little sister, as a teacher, broke up for her summer school holidays, apparently happy healthy and pregnant.
And an out of the blue brain tumour diagnosis meant that on what would have been her first day back in school in September, was her funeral.

Oh good grief. I feel for you lass. :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

Back