Hate Leicester chant

We will follow the Chelsea over land and sea and LEICESTER!!!! We will follow the Chelsea onto victory.

All together now......

A Shed classic of the 70s and early 80s.

I'm quite certain it started after there was absolute hell on when we played at Leicester in the late '60s.

I remember reading about it years ago in The Echo when they used to review the news from 25 years back.

My recollection (might well be wrong) was that it was added the day of the Liverpool v Leicester FA Cup Semi in 1974.
Back then there would often be alternative chanting of teams involved in high profile games elsewhere. Everyone remembers Celtic - Rangers but there were others such as cup semis and (how times have changed) Oxford - Cambridge on Boat Race day.

That's a good memory if true.

From the banks of the River Wear to the shores of Sicily, We’re gonna fight fight fight for Sunderland til we win the football league. To hell with Man United, to hell with Liverpool. We’re gonna fight fight fight for Sunderland til we win the football league.

Underrated & under-sung that one. :cool:

Remember when the mags sang:
"We hate Man U
cos they beat us 7-2"
:lol:
If you want to be a Magpie Ranger, only live for sex and danger, go left go left, go left right left, go left go left go pick up up a stick go left go left leffft.

As I was walking down Worswick St guess who I happened to meet; I met Supermac, rolled him over and broke his back. We hate Man U, ‘cos they beat us 7-2.

and repeat, one person would sing the lines, the rest would repeat. Supermac has gone to Arsenal and Man U beat us 7-2 in the League Cup. Some great nonsense chants back then.

Anyone remember why we hated Leicester
I think it was around the 80’s with a chant like....

We hate Man Utd, we hate Liverpool too and Leicester, we hate Nottingham Forest but Sunderland we love you.

I remember the ‘and Leicester’ was added with some venom.
Plenty of fans at many other clubs trotted out the same verse mate

Same tune.

I knaa Geordie's fatha
Geordie's fatha knaa's me
AND LEICESTER
I knaa Geordie's fatha
And Geordie's fatha knaa's me.
Proper songs when we were all Geordies. None of this Mackem shit (insult) . Proud to be a Geordie . If anyone called me a makem I'd laugh in their face and know they were bairns . Pathetic

Think it was something to do with the Bear accompanied by some of our hardnuts getting rounded on and knifed in the late sixties, early seventies. Memory's a bit shot that far back for any further details like.

Think it was something to do with the Bear accompanied by some of our hardnuts getting rounded on and knifed in the late sixties, early seventies. Memory's a bit shot that far back for any further details like.

Leicester were well known for their stabbings, I knew of a Chelsea fan about a decade a go who said he would never go back to Leicester as the last time he was there he was just glad to get out alive the soft shite.

Leicester were well known for their stabbings, I knew of a Chelsea fan about a decade a go who said he would never go back to Leicester as the last time he was there he was just glad to get out alive the soft shite.
There’s a thread on one of our sites at the moment about Bootboys etc and I’ve just asked about Sunderland at ours late 60’s
Bentleys Roof for those interested

i’m sure it was a common song back in the day,with a few slight variations for different clubs fans...don’t really think the ‘and leicester’ meant anything...it just fit.
60s, always Nottingham Forest, mainly Liverpool 2nd and an interchangeable 3rd team again mainly Man Utd.
Great song, needs to be brought back along with our version of the Blaydon Races.

Last edited:

Back