Has 'Chris Coleman' done a good job overall so far?

Imagine the scores if he came in and did a Carvahal. Come in to a team who had sold it's quality players, been on a slump for a while, everyone thinks they are doomed, yet gets gets 2 points a game. That would be a 9 for me.

He's done better than Grayson in the same way Benitez did better than McClaren. It still was good enough, they were relegated. That's what we need to judge Coleman on

Yes fair comment. Coleman has a bad hand but he's had enough time to save us. And there is enough shite to be better than the worst three.
Time will tell.

Given the circumstances, the fact that he's still here, not getting stick from the crowd, and we've still got a chance of survival then he's been a qualified success.
However that first half display at Bristol City was resignation level brushed under the carpet by the comeback.
I like his honesty which is a refreshing change from Grayson but that might just mean he's not as desperate or delusional as Grayson was.
Coleman can get us relegated and just laugh it off at his next job interview.

Football wise I'd give him a 6, for the work he's doing trying to change the mentality of the playing squad, and the shit he must get from above I'd give him a 9.

We get pelters on here for sticking with Rafa after relegation and yet some are giving Coleman an 8 or even a 9?

Players with low morale playing for themselves - check

No money to rebuild the squad - check

Shocking form and players underachieving - check

Rafa had fewer games and no window and gets pelters. They had to deal with similar scenarios. Both coaches filled tbe fans with optimism that may have overshadowed how poorly they did/are doing.

Rate 'Coleman' out of 10.
7 for me.

He has brought down the average age of the team substantially, never afraid to give youth a chance. If 'Coleman' can get this lot to adapt to the league we will have a very exciting team in a year or two because they should improve being so young. Under the previous manager we'd have brought in some old carthorses from League One for buttons.
Undoubtedly going about things the right way under his leadership.
Considering the circumstances (taking over a team with 1 win in 16/17) and an owner refusing to give him 50p to spend then I'd say he has done a good job so far. Problem is, we need him to do a brilliant job if ie are to survive

Yep. First thing to consider is that a lot of it is out with his control, I don't think any manager in the world would absolutely turn this lot around. How has he done? Well, I've got more confidence than I did with Grayson, he sounds intelligent and, overall, there has been a slight improvement even after losing our main striker. We've not dramatically improved though, but we certainly haven't got much worse. I think a 5 is absolutely fair at this stage, he's not done enough to warrant any more, but equally can't be totally blamed for us still looking poor
Agree with the above post. It's still the VERY early stages of a "work in progress" that involves clearing out the residual underperformers, building a side, avoiding relegation this season, rebuilding home player confidence, all with minimal funding while also trying to clear/trim expenditure. So, at this point, he's doing ok with the situation he was left with really. A 6 would be my score

5 - middle of the road. Still don't think he is getting enough out of this squad and tactics have been questionable to say the least. But he did have a hard job on his hands after Simple Simon's disastrous start to the season and not a penny to spend.

We get pelters on here for sticking with Rafa after relegation and yet some are giving Coleman an 8 or even a 9?

Players with low morale playing for themselves - check

No money to rebuild the squad - check

Shocking form and players underachieving - check

Rafa had fewer games and no window and gets pelters. They had to deal with similar scenarios. Both coaches filled tbe fans with optimism that may have overshadowed how poorly they did/are doing.
Except one took over a squad that had been heavily invested in.

5.5 / 10. Lost our top scorer and inherited a shit side who had zero confidence and had barely won a match, and has had no help from above to improve the situation. But as a manager he will still be judged on results and our position and we still find it impossible to pull away from the relegation zone, often losing matches by 2+ goal margins.

Grayson was probably a 0.2 though so it's still a big improvement and he's got my full support.

Back