Has anyone on here just upped and walked out of their job?

I don't blame anyone who walked out at 2touch. I was there for 2 weeks while waiting for my industry placement to start for uni. 1st week was classroom training which was abysmal. Then second week listening in on the phones on the floor and that was just excruciating. I only lasted more than the 1st week due to knowing when I was starting the placement. Didn't turn up on the Monday and they were absolutely fuming. Wankers.

I also once got sent by an Agency to Nissan. Told to turn up at 6pm or something. No idea what it was for and I was 18yr old and a bit we behind the ears. Got there to find it was cleaning the floors. Bloke said I did really well and could get to use the machine the next day. Didn't go back.

Only time I've ever upped and walked out mid shift was in Sydney working for a company who do the phone calls for charities trying to get you to sign up to donate. 1st campaign was all people who had donated previously so was fine. But then they asked me to cold call and that was just f***ing horrendous. After 2 hours I just said it's not for me and walked.
I did that in Brisbane, lasted just one full week on the phones, thankfully left as got offered a better job

Obviously it wouldn't be advisable to just get up and walk but has anyone on here ever felt so trapped in their role that for their own sanity they just need to pack their bag, hand their laptop over and say 'see ya later'?
I'm so close to that point at the moment but aged 40 with a very young family which involves nursery school fees and a mortgage it probably wouldn't be one of my better moves, had job interviews recently which have gone to rat-shit. Been thinking about possibly trying to find a franchise to invest in and go self employed... it's not a lot of fun to be in this situation that's for sure.

i feel exactly the same at the minute its very close

Obviously it wouldn't be advisable to just get up and walk but has anyone on here ever felt so trapped in their role that for their own sanity they just need to pack their bag, hand their laptop over and say 'see ya later'?
I'm so close to that point at the moment but aged 40 with a very young family which involves nursery school fees and a mortgage it probably wouldn't be one of my better moves, had job interviews recently which have gone to rat-shit. Been thinking about possibly trying to find a franchise to invest in and go self employed... it's not a lot of fun to be in this situation that's for sure.
Have you thought about just taking an easy low paid job to tide you over until you find something. If you're that pissed off it might be worthwhile.

Once. Used to work at a well known fish place on the sea front. 8am-5pm, sometimes made you work 9/10 days in a row and certain staff would get the same 2 consecutive days off every week. Everyone was on min wage, then some lass started and demanded she was on more money. They paid her more than everyone else, cue a kick off from everyone else. The animosity between everyone, plus the outrageously high staff turnover made it a horrible place to work. Walked out, phoned a pal and started new job the same day.

Its a tough call for the fellow that wrote the OP.
The real issue is how are you going to manage if you do sling your hook.
Obviously the jobs not right for whatever the reasons behind your disquiet and you could well do yourself and others harm sticking with it.
Perhaps persists with interviews elsewhere till into the new year at least and evaluate the situation again and in the meantime level out till then by, maybe, slowing down your pace at work irrespective of the consequences and place that energy into the family.
Don't put extra pressure on yourself just yet by walking out and then saying "now what", I would keep a lid on it till January and then if no improvement with a slight change of work plan then hand over the lap top.
3 months where you are now wont hurt if you work it through constructively.
As you said yourself there is much riding on this decision, age, kids, financial commitments, bite the bullet for the time being and then go and kick them in the nuts first day back after the N-Y, because you'll have you mind in the right place by then.

I was skipper in the Merchant Navy for years and in my mid thirties and under similar constraints at home to yourself but because of the crap condition onboard a particular ship (crew/safety/cargo/lack of shore based office support etc.), I left the rust bucket tied up in some shit-hole port in Asia advised the Flag State Administration and Underwriters of the ship condition safety wise, payed all the crew 21 days wages from the safe and flew home the next day,...…... self-funded.
What to do next was the immediate question but to be off that dreadful ship was an absolute blessing as it turned out and was fortunate to find a reportable Scandinavian Company where I stayed for over 15 years before coming ashore.
I'm sure there are lots of us that want to chuck it in but best advise it to do it by thinking it through and not on impulse.

Good Luck Mate.

Just did it the other week. Supposedly was temp to permanent after a month. After three months (and no holiday because I lose money) my boss said I could work another three and possibly get a permanent job there.

I got the office manager to sign off the hours I'd already done (told her I was taking the rest of the week off) because I've been screwed over my pay in previous jobs.

Left at lunchtime and said "See you later."

Emailed the boss and the owner of the company "Unless it's in a beer/ice cream testing capacity, I don't do six-month trials." and never went back. :lol:

Called the agency and said if they want someone to beg for a job they can get someone else.

Have you thought about just taking an easy low paid job to tide you over until you find something. If you're that pissed off it might be worthwhile.

Yeah mate I have thought about that but at the moment my nursery school fees tip £800 per month (the norm around here in Manchester unfortunately) and to be honest, for the hot air I've blathered about getting up and packing it in it ain't going to happen unfortunately, I'll just have to put up with the shit a while longer. Been in the company for five years like, another job interview tomorrow which would be a huge pay rise for me if it comes off but not particularly confident it will but hey-ho!

Its a tough call for the fellow that wrote the OP.
The real issue is how are you going to manage if you do sling your hook.
Obviously the jobs not right for whatever the reasons behind your disquiet and you could well do yourself and others harm sticking with it.
Perhaps persists with interviews elsewhere till into the new year at least and evaluate the situation again and in the meantime level out till then by, maybe, slowing down your pace at work irrespective of the consequences and place that energy into the family.
Don't put extra pressure on yourself just yet by walking out and then saying "now what", I would keep a lid on it till January and then if no improvement with a slight change of work plan then hand over the lap top.
3 months where you are now wont hurt if you work it through constructively.
As you said yourself there is much riding on this decision, age, kids, financial commitments, bite the bullet for the time being and then go and kick them in the nuts first day back after the N-Y, because you'll have you mind in the right place by then.

I was skipper in the Merchant Navy for years and in my mid thirties and under similar constraints at home to yourself but because of the crap condition onboard a particular ship (crew/safety/cargo/lack of shore based office support etc.), I left the rust bucket tied up in some shit-hole port in Asia advised the Flag State Administration and Underwriters of the ship condition safety wise, payed all the crew 21 days wages from the safe and flew home the next day,...…... self-funded.
What to do next was the immediate question but to be off that dreadful ship was an absolute blessing as it turned out and was fortunate to find a reportable Scandinavian Company where I stayed for over 15 years before coming ashore.
I'm sure there are lots of us that want to chuck it in but best advise it to do it by thinking it through and not on impulse.

Good Luck Mate.

Wise words mate and to be honest it's the road I'll be taking, would LOVE to just get up and sack it off though haha!

Aye done it twice, once when 18 me and a mate worked on the Tuxedo Royale one summer, did 6 weeks collecting glasses, mopping up sick and blood, working till dawn most weekends for buttons. Oh and had to wear dickie bow ties an'all. Lovely Friday summers night in the beer garden in The Nelson in Jarra all the lads looking forward to an evening in the sun on the piss we decided 'right, time to fuck the boat off'. We went up, told them we were done and wanted our wages (brown envelope, cash in those days). Supervisor kicked off, busiest night of the week blah blah, stuck to our guns and he coughed up. Told us if we ever went back on there the bouncers would sling us overboard. Had a great night in the Nelson.

Joined HMRC at Longbenton after doing a piss easy job in London for nigh on 20 years. Stitched me up and put me in the contact centre. Did the training for 2 months, lasted 2 weeks on the phones, (inc a couple of sickies) went in on a Friday and asked for a transfer, lino said no, i said well here's my notice. He said when can you work till, i said i'm away now and wont be back. Took the summer off and watched euro 2016, found a much better job in the September.

Much easier to do with no commitments though.

Good luck the OP whichever way you jump.

Aye done it twice, once when 18 me and a mate worked on the Tuxedo Royale one summer, did 6 weeks collecting glasses, mopping up sick and blood, working till dawn most weekends for buttons. Oh and had to wear dickie bow ties an'all. Lovely Friday summers night in the beer garden in The Nelson in Jarra all the lads looking forward to an evening in the sun on the piss we decided 'right, time to fuck the boat off'. We went up, told them we were done and wanted our wages (brown envelope, cash in those days). Supervisor kicked off, busiest night of the week blah blah, stuck to our guns and he coughed up. Told us if we ever went back on there the bouncers would sling us overboard. Had a great night in the Nelson.

Joined HMRC at Longbenton after doing a piss easy job in London for nigh on 20 years. Stitched me up and put me in the contact centre. Did the training for 2 months, lasted 2 weeks on the phones, (inc a couple of sickies) went in on a Friday and asked for a transfer, lino said no, i said well here's my notice. He said when can you work till, i said i'm away now and wont be back. Took the summer off and watched euro 2016, found a much better job in the September.

Much easier to do with no commitments though.

Good luck the OP whichever way you jump.
Here's a lad with his priorities sorted. :lol:

yes I have done it several times. When I had family. I always thought I would get a job - sometimes I did not for a while mind. I got through and now retired and family grown up. Great.

Never, always just started applying for other stuff while taking the piss at my current job and waiting to see if I can manage to get a new job before I got the sack.

It took two years the last time I did it. And they made me redundant on gardening with full pay tax free for three months plus a £7k golden handshake. That was in November last year and I sat on my arse until March this year doing absolutely fuck all.

:cool:

Never, always just started applying for other stuff while taking the piss at my current job and waiting to see if I can manage to get a new job before I got the sack.

It took two years the last time I did it. And they made me redundant on gardening with full pay tax free for three months plus a £7k golden handshake. That was in November last year and I sat on my arse until March this year doing absolutely fuck all.

:cool:

The dream right there :lol:

The dream right there :lol:

It gets better. Company I got a job at in March gave me a £7k pay rise on what I was on, then told me I wasn't being kept on last day of my probation because they'd lost their major client and were making people redundant.

Went freelance for three weeks and earned enough to pay off my credit card debts, then walked into another new permanent job. They gave me a further £5k pay rise.

I reckon by the end of the year based on what's happening so far in the past 12months I'll either win the lottery or my luck will have ran out and I'll be diagnosed with a terminal illness in time for Christmas.

It gets better. Company I got a job at in March gave me a £7k pay rise on what I was on, then told me I wasn't being kept on last day of my probation because they'd lost their major client and were making people redundant.

Went freelance for three weeks and earned enough to pay off my credit card debts, then walked into another new permanent job. They gave me a further £5k pay rise.

I reckon by the end of the year based on what's happening so far in the past 12months I'll either win the lottery or my luck will have ran out and I'll be diagnosed with a terminal illness in time for Christmas.

Sunderland aren't going up now are they? You've definitely got the midas touch by the looks of it

Done it once when driving for one of the fleet operators delivering for Amazon. at 7pm with 41 drops left out of the 182 I was given that morning, I drove back to the office, lobbed the van keys & hi viz vest at them and told them exactly what they could do with their 'job'.

Are you able to take some time off? I would recommend just taking a break and figure out what you want to do, but it wouldn't be a smart move for you to just get up and quit since you have family responsibilities. Keep on the job search until you find something you really like. I will tell you that if you're feeling miserable it will come through on the interview, so prior to going into an interview work yourself into a positive attitude and energy. You will have a more productive interview and start seeing results. If you need any interview tips, send me a PM and I'll be more than willing to help out.

last job, I was drinking on job because of the job (lieing to ext audit) and backstabing for gettin pay rises etc went on sick and didn't go back, wish i did it earlier. was 2 of us that did computers and other lad pissed them right off (deleting valuable data etc ) I was on sick and work allways in contact asking when i'm coming back , allways be a job there for you NO WAY i was going back.

Years ago I walked out of the solicitors I was working in, basically I was 1 week of out my probation period and they said 1 month notice then the owner got involved and said 3 months, I was going Self Employed ( Turned out the best think I ever did) so I told them when I was leaving ie 1 month later, completed my work and when payday came round, my payslip was not there, questioned it and got fobbed off, never got paid, bills, mortgage (no kids back then) so I just left my file open and PC on, got my jacket and walked out, went to the pub, couple of mates came after work and got trollied and then started my new S/E Position. Took the owner to a tribunal and he settled a few days before the hearing, complete tosser rich as fook as well.

Back