Has anyone digitised their CD collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
50,000 now see https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1143668?hl=en-GB

Personally I sync my music with Google Music for work and on the go, I also have my music in a library on Kodi for the rooms it's installed in. I need to explore an option for re-using an android phone as a dedicated music player for listen to tunes in the garage. Again will probably use Kodi for this.
Blimey well I only got to about 12,000 anyway but that is tremendous

I ripped all my CDs and DVDs onto a NAS and have Plex Media Server installed, i then have the Plex App installed on most my devices and the TV so i can access everything through that at any time.

Update:

Popped into Richer Sounds to ask a few questions about compatibility, set-up options n that ... ended up with staff bickering in front of me. Kinda put me off.

Spoke with Peter Tyson hi-fi shop in Carlisle who was enthusiastic about my choice of streamer and offered to send the model he had to the store in Kingston Park. Drove all the way through for a demo and the manager bloke wouldn't even show me the machine. He'd much rather talk about more expensive machines and his top-notch after-sales service blah blah blah.

I made the mistake of mentioning value-for-money. His reply was, "well we're talking about 2 entirely separate things, now. Value-for-money ... and quality"

Once I do spend my hard-earned, it won't be there!

Update:

Popped into Richer Sounds to ask a few questions about compatibility, set-up options n that ... ended up with staff bickering in front of me. Kinda put me off.

Spoke with Peter Tyson hi-fi shop in Carlisle who was enthusiastic about my choice of streamer and offered to send the model he had to the store in Kingston Park. Drove all the way through for a demo and the manager bloke wouldn't even show me the machine. He'd much rather talk about more expensive machines and his top-notch after-sales service blah blah blah.

I made the mistake of mentioning value-for-money. His reply was, "well we're talking about 2 entirely separate things, now. Value-for-money ... and quality"

Once I do spend my hard-earned, it won't be there!

Terrible that - RS is usually really good :(

Terrible that - RS is usually really good :(

Yeah, been my shop of choice for 25 years. I think the staff were just having an "off-day".

Frustratingly, they don't stock the bit of kit I'm after, nor do any other of their stores.

Suppose it gets back to "read independent reviews" then

That's what I'd done.

Read loads, wanted to buy a sound base for my TV to sit on.

Found one - not a well known manufacturer - but scored way higher than all the Sony's, Samsunngs etc...and was about half the price.

The spent 40 mins trying to get me to buy a Sony one - before they just gave in.

Pathetic really.

Oh, don't buy a sound base. Rubbish. Just amplifies your TV but adds little depth.

Surround sound system is the way forward.

That's what I'd done.

Read loads, wanted to buy a sound base for my TV to sit on.

Found one - not a well known manufacturer - but scored way higher than all the Sony's, Samsunngs etc...and was about half the price.

The spent 40 mins trying to get me to buy a Sony one - before they just gave in.

Pathetic really.

Oh, don't buy a sound base. Rubbish. Just amplifies your TV but adds little depth.

Surround sound system is the way forward.

A few people (lasses) are generally put off by the extra boxes and cables n that.

With some forethought, a decent surround system can not only transform your viewing/listening experience, it can look dead smart as well.

Hmm... the generic "hi-fi" type places are now getting ripped apart by "modern" music on the go via phone etc.... trouble is they need to shift kit!. ... a lot of folks really don't care about the quality of the sound and just want something they can listen to to pass the time when they're on the endless drag into work and home again... that's fine.... but then you only need a reasonable quality when all you can hear is the train wheels rolling around etc etc...
Just need to be clear what you want.... and where you want it.... and yes, a lot of vendors are selling essentially simple "computer components" (disks plus GUI) for ridiculous amounts - but stupid people seem all to keen to pay for it!
Plenty of alternatives out there that are great value for money and give you so much more flexibility in how to access.. not going to repeat myself, but record to flac and the world is out there for ya... oh, and no, it's not expensive by any means....

Hmm... the generic "hi-fi" type places are now getting ripped apart by "modern" music on the go via phone etc.... trouble is they need to shift kit!. ... a lot of folks really don't care about the quality of the sound and just want something they can listen to to pass the time when they're on the endless drag into work and home again... that's fine.... but then you only need a reasonable quality when all you can hear is the train wheels rolling around etc etc...
Just need to be clear what you want.... and where you want it.... and yes, a lot of vendors are selling essentially simple "computer components" (disks plus GUI) for ridiculous amounts - but stupid people seem all to keen to pay for it!
Plenty of alternatives out there that are great value for money and give you so much more flexibility in how to access.. not going to repeat myself, but record to flac and the world is out there for ya... oh, and no, it's not expensive by any means....

Thanks for that.

To be honest, until I have a FULL understanding of the technology ... I won't be spending anything.

Considering the lack of moving parts (everything is solid state) and the fact that of many of the component parts are mass-produced as parts of computers, it still seems a bit of a rip-off.

I'm going from ONE unit that plugs into my amp ... to FOUR bits of kit (NAS / router / streamer / amp) AND the possible need to subscribe to something like Spotify while I convert my CDs to FLAC files or whatever. Bit pissed off to be fair.

Thank God for the SMB, eh!?

It sounds like the answer that weird fucker at work (we all know one) would give that one time you first yourself and ask him what he did at the weekend.

"Digitised my CD collection."

Thanks for that.

To be honest, until I have a FULL understanding of the technology ... I won't be spending anything.

Considering the lack of moving parts (everything is solid state) and the fact that of many of the component parts are mass-produced as parts of computers, it still seems a bit of a rip-off.

I'm going from ONE unit that plugs into my amp ... to FOUR bits of kit (NAS / router / streamer / amp) AND the possible need to subscribe to something like Spotify while I convert my CDs to FLAC files or whatever. Bit pissed off to be fair.

Thank God for the SMB, eh!?

No probs... and understand you want to know what you're doing and how to get to what you want before you launch into it all....

I spent a lot of time reading the forums on this place: https://www.whathifi.com .... before I started.... there used to be some excellent resources there to tell you about what formats, software, settings to use etc etc....

... and no, you don't have to go to 4 bits of kit..... I bought an Archos-5 over 6 years ago.... has something like 250Gb space and is portable!... plays flac and something like a 6hr battery life!!.... with a "base" (total cost unit + base about £160 then??...) it connected to wi-fi too, and plugged into a hifi with RCA and/or optical cables!... and it played video too!! Magic box! and as I worked abroad a lot it went everywhere I did!.. Sadly didn't catch on... but I still have it and it still works... just have a "think" about what you want and you will probably be able to find something that will do the job... without paying a fortune, and without making things too complicated....
PS: Look at the new Naim Uniti stuff for all the current types of options out there: https://www.whathifi.com/promoted/all-new-naim-uniti-hi-fi-streaming-fit-future# ... bit pricey, but others will follow this in time and be a lot cheaper...

Good luck!!... but get involved!... :)

Spotify man FFS. There's absolutely no point to recorded media anymore, unless you live in a no internet area.

Are you being serious? :lol:

Worse sound quality, and you need a data plan where you won't hit the limit. Not everyone has that. You also need a decent signal.
I have about 60Gb of my ripped songs on my iPad, all high bit rates and FLACs. I can play them anywhere I want and it costs me nothing. How on earth does Spotify render that pointless?

Ripped all mine to Itunes then synced them with Google Music so they are all cloud based and accessible from anywhere.

CD player has given up and I realise I have to "go fully digital" which apparently means converting my c. 400 CDs to 16-bit FLAC (better than MP3, allegedly), then transfer said files to a NAS drive.

No allegedly about it, it is better, period. It should be as good as the source. The only question us whether you can hear the difference. Some can, some can't tell the difference between a top end system and a wax cylinder. Unless you need lossy compression because you have little storage space, avoid MP3. The compression artefacts are horrible if you listen through decent gear, unless you use 256k, or preferably 320k bitrates. With FLAC you don't have to worry about degraded sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back