Has anyone digitised their CD collection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Gardner

Winger
And that's not some sort of geeky euphemism.

CD player has given up and I realise I have to "go fully digital" which apparently means converting my c. 400 CDs to 16-bit FLAC (better than MP3, allegedly), then transfer said files to a NAS drive.

That's not enough, I then have to buy a f***ing "streamer" to pull the digital FLAC files from NAS drive and covert them to analog sound to push through to me amp.

Am I over-complicating this or is it always a genuine f***ing chew on?

I've learned a whole new language of acronyms in the last day or two, and I'm none the wiser.

Any tips or advice? And yes, I've already formatted the fucker.

NB: I'm not simply replacing the CD player with another one as it won't be long before I move abroad and would rather take a couple of boxes than the whole CD collection. Also, I like "easy access" to my tunes instead of piss-farting around with them jewel-boxes.

[PEDANTIC NERD]
CDs are already digital
[/PEDANTIC NERD]

Pretty much any format is better than mp3. FLAC is best as long as you have enough space.

As for playing from NAS to your amp, I divint knar, but I'd like to know what's the best way to do that too.

And that's not some sort of geeky euphemism.

CD player has given up and I realise I have to "go fully digital" which apparently means converting my c. 400 CDs to 16-bit FLAC (better than MP3, allegedly), then transfer said files to a NAS drive.

That's not enough, I then have to buy a f***ing "streamer" to pull the digital FLAC files from NAS drive and covert them to analog sound to push through to me amp.

Am I over-complicating this or is it always a genuine f***ing chew on?

I've learned a whole new language of acronyms in the last day or two, and I'm none the wiser.

Any tips or advice? And yes, I've already formatted the fucker.

NB: I'm not simply replacing the CD player with another one as it won't be long before I move abroad and would rather take a couple of boxes than the whole CD collection. Also, I like "easy access" to my tunes instead of piss-farting around with them jewel-boxes.

You only need a nas drive if you want to access the music from multiple devices and don't want to have your pc switched on every time you want to listen to music.

I have most of my favourite CDs as mp3 on my pc, which I can listen to on any computer that's in the house at the time as long as my main pc is switched on, just through standard windows network file/folder sharing.

In addition, I have an Amazon Firestick (about £25 or something?) plugged into an hdmi port on my tv, which I can then use to connect to my pc wirelessly using Plex Media Server (a free app I installed on the Firestick), allowing me to play music through my hifi via the TV's audio output.

Also, unless you're a studio sound engineer or highly trained musician who owns thousands of pounds worth of amp and speakers, you're unlikely to be able to hear the difference between a FLAC and a high bitrate mp3, and even then you'd be being a twat if you claimed that the high bitrate mp3 was too poor a quality for you to enjoy it.

Last edited:
just use windows media player to rip the disk and create a library.

the best cd ripper ive used is easy cd-da extractor. can convert to various formats. there is a free trial version

Also, unless you're a studio sound engineer or highly trained musician who owns thousands of pounds worth of amp and speakers, you're unlikely to be able to hear the difference between a FLAC and a high bitrate mp3, and even then you'd be being a twat if you claimed that the high bitrate mp3 was too poor a quality for you to enjoy it.
Two out of three ain't bad. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back