Hartside cafe fire

Lots of memories of that place, though I’m sure it has lots of memories of it’s own going all the way back to 1910.
Wonder what the bikes and trucks looked like then ? Those that could make it up there that is.
My Father was one of the original bikers who called in there on his old Sunbeam Motor cycle back in the 1920s.
I have some negatives of it on glass plates that he never got round to developing.
I have little doubt that it will be rebuilt, back to its former glory.

Lots of memories of that place, though I’m sure it has lots of memories of it’s own going all the way back to 1910.
Wonder what the bikes and trucks looked like then ? Those that could make it up there that is.
My Father was one of the original bikers who called in there on his old Sunbeam Motor cycle back in the 1920s.
I have some negatives of it on glass plates that he never got round to developing.
I have little doubt that it will be rebuilt, back to its former glory.
It’s a bit of an institution really, tho not the mental kind.
There was some great books of old prints of the cafe and its former customers on the window sill by the log burner, all gone now no doubt.

Probably reopen as a Mc Donald’s drive through , you can just see those Golden Arches at the top of that hill !

Could see into Scotland on a clear day, the north coast of the Solway Firth,
suppose you still can, though without the burgers.
Maybe they can fix a picnic spot until such time as it’s rebuilt.
Shouldn’t take long if they use prefab construction, though that might depend on the planners and elf and safety.

Was up there a week gone Sunday, early blast up , pot of tea and some toasted homemade bread , geet lush as owt.

Always wondered how they made it pay as a year round business.

No doubt the insurance company will like to see the accounts ....

Seeing as it’s always blowing a gale up there, a can’t imagine any fire having much trouble taking had once the windows went.

Must have been like a beacon visible from miles away,
on the other hand if it was foggy....

Back