Harry Pearson’s The Far Corner

It’s a fantastic book, my favourite footy book by miles.

I would love him to do a follow up, it must be 25 years since the original and lots have things have changed. We were still at Roker and Boro were still at Ayresome Park for starters.

Sunderland skinheed

And our fans on the train who split words with swear words....railway f***ing station:)

I had a female friend in York who went on to buy my house in the pub, who was an expert at that, " you want to see our Gaz's motorfuckinbike" was a particular favourite.
I worked with a lad liked to eat mushfuckingrooms

Bought a copy of this a few years ago and forgot all about it.

Just started reading it but already it’s canny funny.

Lad I know is in it. Played for Whickham, he describes him as orange and loves himself in the warm-up, but when he played he was mint. I told him and lent him the book - never got it back :)

The Durham City forward with the manner of a rampaging wildebeest. Fantastic stuff.

Not ashamed to cite it as an influence on 'Ancients & Mariners' my book about the Northern League a couple of seasons ago, available on all good kindle devices courtesy of Amazon.
I've never gone down the route of writing non-fiction yet apart from blogs but have always wanted to write like Harry Pearson or Bill Bryson. The way they manage laugh out loud observational humour without being offensive to the people they are observing is a true skill.
I might well give it a bash once this novel and a couple plays are out of the way.
The Far Corner is definitely up there with my favourite books. Just downloaded yours, look forward to giving it a read.

Haven't read it for years, used to be one of my favourite books.

I did a course at Sunderland university about Sunderland it’s history and the football club, it was based at the stadium of light. Harry Pearson came to give us a talk , he mentioned something about Raich Carter and how difficult it must have been to be called Horatio in Spennymoor :eek: I was too nervous to correct him but of course Raich was a Sunderland lad and a graduate of Hendon Board School :cool:

Last edited:
the mrs got me it for christmas years ago but never got round to reading it. it's been lent out to everyone in the family and they all say it's brilliant. going to have to read it now :)

I've never gone down the route of writing non-fiction yet apart from blogs but have always wanted to write like Harry Pearson or Bill Bryson. The way they manage laugh out loud observational humour without being offensive to the people they are observing is a true skill.
I might well give it a bash once this novel and a couple plays are out of the way.
The Far Corner is definitely up there with my favourite books. Just downloaded yours, look forward to giving it a read.

Thanks. I'm the complete opposite with my writing - can't do fiction at all. Dialogue sounds false, all the characters end up sounding like me. Enjoyed what I've read of your work, though - will keep an eye out for the next one.

Bought a copy of this a few years ago and forgot all about it.

Just started reading it but already it’s canny funny.

Great book , great time to write it. Think we can all see 25 years later how life has, changed, for some better for most worst, ( especially if sleeping in a doorway and using a foodbank). Football has improved for the better in a lot of ways, but the matchday experience isn't as good, but then I'm a traditionalist, who likes corner end pubs etc.

Last edited:
Written at the time Keegan was changing the dynamics of North East football and there are references to that-the local shopkeeper who loses all sense of reason at the very mention of his name. But the point isnt laboured throughout the book and overall its an affectinate lament on a game which is taken far too seriously up here. And I dont mean that in a bad way.

Because we have nowt else up here, the only reference up here is the past, sad but true.

Sunderland skinheed

And our fans on the train who split words with swear words....railway f***ing station:)

I had a female friend in York who went on to buy my house in the pub, who was an expert at that, " you want to see our Gaz's motorfuckinbike" was a particular favourite.

The Reading fan on his way to Hartlepool, we've all done that, hotel, breakfast, excited as fook, pub at 11am across from the opposition station...

Last edited:

Back