Harry and Meghan's home renovations cost taxpayers £2.4m

girojim

Striker
Royal expenses out today.

Not sure how anyone can justify this

Harry and Meghan's home cost taxpayers £2.4m

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex's home was renovated with £2.4m of taxpayers' money, royal accounts show.

Excluding money transferred to reserves for future building work at the palace, the Queen's official expenses last year were £67m, a 41% year-on-year increase, the figures show

Massive increase in royal spending "outrageous" say campaigners

Anti-monarchy campaigners have called for a full parliamentary inquiry into royal spending after the release of this year's finance report.

The official report, which ignores most of the £345m annual costs, shows the core grant increasing by £3.6m. Spending on travel for Prince Charles has jumped by a third to £1.33m.

Meanwhile the taxpayer has been hit with a £2.4m bill to create a new home for Harry and Meghan in Frogmore Cottage.

Hasn’t Charles took on loads of stuff from the Queen and that’s why his expenses have gone up?

Also I don’t think it’s an enormous amount of money. I bet Andy Carroll likely lives in a more expensive house.

They also bring in a huge amount of money to the country.

"And a consultancy called Brand Finance estimated in 2017 that the monarchy’s annual contribution to the UK economy to be around £1.8bn a year, drawing in an additional £550m of tourism revenues a year, and an increase in trade, from the Royal Family acting as ambassadors, supposedly worth £150m a year."

Why have they moved out of Kensington Palace? Not big enough?

I dont doubt that the royals overall bring in a certain amount of revenue (largely to London) but converting four houses into one, at that cost? When they were already living in a palace is just ridiculous

"And a consultancy called Brand Finance estimated in 2017 that the monarchy’s annual contribution to the UK economy to be around £1.8bn a year, drawing in an additional £550m of tourism revenues a year, and an increase in trade, from the Royal Family acting as ambassadors, supposedly worth £150m a year."
So they provided no actual proven and reliable data to back any of these claims up then.

Hasn’t Charles took on loads of stuff from the Queen and that’s why his expenses have gone up?

Also I don’t think it’s an enormous amount of money. I bet Andy Carroll likely lives in a more expensive house.

Andy Carroll doesn't live in a tax payer funded house

where do they get these figures from?

Andy Carroll doesn't live in a tax payer funded house

where do they get these figures from?

They made a good amount of them up, an example of figures they used -

For example, the report estimates the monarchy contribute £50 million towards the media industry by providing the inspiration and “mystique” for TV shows like The Crown and plays like King Charles III.

Now that is stretching it for me

For example, the report estimates the monarchy contribute £50 million towards the media industry by providing the inspiration and “mystique” for TV shows like The Crown and plays like King Charles III.

Nobody gives Hitler credit for all of the inspiration he's provided to the media industry.

It's almost like it's a massive pr exercise

Other businesses (Premier League?) bring money in to the country, but don't expect a kick back on taxes on the strength of it.

Last edited:

Back