Happy Trafalgar Day

Collingwoods book is a good read too. Obviously not only about Trafalger but it’s covered at length. His flagship was The Royal Sovereign and was a bit faster so he ended up stuck into them alone for a bit. Worth a read bud.

He was canny for a mag :)
I get the feeling most mags were canny before 1992....

Collingwoods book is a good read too. Obviously not only about Trafalger but it’s covered at length. His flagship was The Royal Sovereign and was a bit faster so he ended up stuck into them alone for a bit. Worth a read bud.

Which Collingwood book marra?

Which Collingwood book marra?

Admiral Collingwood - Nelsons Own Hero

There is another book iirc called Trafalgers Lost Hero - Admiral Lord Collingwood and the defeat of Napoleon.

Over the last few years I started to read a lot into our navy and Admirals. Bit sad but I find it absolutely fascinating, We have a fine history on the sea.

Few other good reads imo.

Empire of the deep - amazing account of the history of the Navy from the very start. Long read but best book I’ve read on the navy.

Norfolk’s other admirals

Admiral Lord St. Vincent – Saint or Tyrant?: The Life of Sir John Jervis

Man of War: The Fighting Life of Admiral James Saumarez: from the American Revolution to the Defeat of Napoleon

I’m reading The Grand Fleet 1914 - 1916 by Lord Jellicoe. He commanded the fleet at Jutland.

Lord Fisher is worth reading about too. He basically brought us the dreadnought class battleships and modernised the navy. Fascinating relationship with Churchill and a few other notable people.

I’ll stfu now as I’ve gone full ship nerd....

Too right mate. The unsung hero of the battle.

There is another book iirc called Trafalgers Lost Hero - Admiral Lord Collingwood and the defeat of Napoleon.

Over the last few years I started to read a lot into our navy and Admirals. Bit sad but I find it absolutely fascinating, We have a fine history on the sea.

Empire of the deep - amazing account of the history of the Navy from the very start. Long read but best book I’ve read on the navy.

Norfolk’s other admirals

Man of War: The Fighting Life of Admiral James Saumarez: from the American Revolution to the Defeat of Napoleon

I’m reading The Grand Fleet 1914 - 1916 by Lord Jellicoe. He commanded the fleet at Jutland.

Lord Fisher is worth reading about too. He basically brought us the dreadnought class battleships and modernised the navy. Fascinating relationship with Churchill and a few other notable people.

We were obliged to attend Naval History lectures when I was Midshipman at Dartmouth. I t was the only time the whole intake was jammed in together in a lecture theatre. Every one of us was utterly knackered due to lack of sleep, basic training etc etc. The lecturer had the most soporific manner, the subject matter was dreadful (it wasn't any of the stuff you've highlighted) so the opportunity to kip was too much. About halfway through the course he suddenly announced failing the exam would mean failing overall! He was clearly aware half of us were asleep during his dull meandering about "72 gun frigates & how increased freeboard helped manoeuvrability"
I'll catch up with some of the stuff you've mentioned as they're either the names of long gone Naval establishments I trained at or a part of said establishment.

Norfolk’s other admirals

Dan snow did a great mini series on the history of the RN it was absolutely fantastic

Thoroughly enjoyed the visit to HMS Victory in Pompey - I could live on that ship.

That “kiss me hardon “ or summat threw me a bit though.

Back