Happy Trafalgar Day

I had dinner on HMS Victory. It was the one good night in an absolutely shite two years down south. Apparently I gave a convincing lecture on why the cannons were the shape they were to a few people on the tour we got. I remember nothing, because I was monumentally pissed before I turned up, as were all the ex Scottish contingent.

If you didn't fit in it says more about you than them tbh.

Worth remembering that Great Britain was the first country in the world to abolish the slave trade, and the RN played a huge part in suppressing the Atlantic slave trade. Nelson couldn’t help with that, what with him dying on HMS Victory.

Any slave boarding a RN ship was considered a free man. The RN had a West African squadron specifically tasked with hunting down slavers. On Nelsons Column, a scene depicts the death of Nelson, in it a free African sailor can be seen

Logon or register to see this image

The Black Sailor on Nelson's Column · Look Up London · Revealing secrets above your eyeline...

Love HMS Victory, the history and visiting Portsmouth.
Never lost a ship in the battle and the flint lock enabled the Guns to fire quicker than the enemy.
Horatio a hero to the Nation.

Can you recommend any books on the battle and the period around it? About to finish something and feel like a history book is next.
As interesting as Nelson is I'd recommend reading about Cochrane before him.
Admiral in the British, Greek and Chilean navy (Chileans still have a ship named after him)

Cs Forester based his books on the true story of Cochranes exploits. You really couldn't make them up.

Any slave boarding a RN ship was considered a free man. The RN had a West African squadron specifically tasked with hunting down slavers. On Nelsons Column, a scene depicts the death of Nelson, in it a free African sailor can be seen

Logon or register to see this image

The Black Sailor on Nelson's Column · Look Up London · Revealing secrets above your eyeline...
The British Empire and the Royal Navy destroyed the international slave trade. Fought the French, Spanish, Yanks, Arabs, and Africans to make it so.

Can you recommend any books on the battle and the period around it? About to finish something and feel like a history book is next.

They aren’t directly about trafalgar but the Aubrey and Maturin series by Patrick Obrian are amazingly well researched fiction that teach just as much as entertain about the period. It was truly the First World War the size and scope of the Navy then was staggering.

Back