Happy Trafalgar Day

I had dinner on HMS Victory. It was the one good night in an absolutely shite two years down south. Apparently I gave a convincing lecture on why the cannons were the shape they were to a few people on the tour we got. I remember nothing, because I was monumentally pissed before I turned up, as were all the ex Scottish contingent.

He was an admiral. They have captains under them. The captain ran the flag ship. The day to to day sailing admin etc the admiral was in strategic command of all the ships allocated to his flag. Hardy was his flag captain. It was Collingwood that brought the fleet back into Gibraltar through a huge storm. The ship that brought news of the Victory/death was called HMS Pickle.

He was an admiral. They have captains under them. The captain ran the flag ship. The day to to day sailing admin etc the admiral was in strategic command of all the ships allocated to his flag. Hardy was his flag captain. It was Collingwood that brought the fleet back into Gibraltar through a huge storm. The ship that brought news of the Victory/death was called HMS Pickle.

Can you recommend any books on the battle and the period around it? About to finish something and feel like a history book is next.

Back