Hands-free phone ban for drivers 'should be considered'

So basically they are saying talking in a car is dangerous? So are they gan try and stop drivers talking to the passengers too? What's the difference?

I guess when you have a driver, you can tell the people exactly what you want. The fact of the matter is, that driving and talking through Apple CarPlay, or Google CarPlay or even just good old fashioned bluetooth is safer than a passenger, because you tend to look at the person in the car with you.

Without the ability to take calls and make them in my car, my business would be crippled.

I guess when you have a driver, you can tell the people exactly what you want. The fact of the matter is, that driving and talking through Apple CarPlay, or Google CarPlay or even just good old fashioned bluetooth is safer than a passenger, because you tend to look at the person in the car with you.

Without the ability to take calls and make them in my car, my business would be crippled.
exactly. economic hit.

Go on then, show me the evidence that shows it is equally unsafe to drive using a handheld vs handsfree.

It is the equally as unsafe having a conversation with one hand on the wheel vs. 2.
Very happily, someone has in fact already done this:

Very happily, someone has in fact already done this:

Nowhere does that say it is equally unsafe.

Do you really think you're no safer with 2 hands on the wheel? It's nonsense. You're physically less capable of steering the car/changing gear/indicating. It's not the same thing.

Nowhere does that say it is equally unsafe.

Do you really think you're no safer with 2 hands on the wheel? It's nonsense. You're physically less capable of steering the car/changing gear/indicating. It's not the same thing.
"Drivers using a hands-free phone get just as distracted as those holding it in their hand" - so yes it does say that. Exactly that.

How many times do people have to say it? The distraction of a phone is not related to the fact you have 1 or 2 hands on the wheel. It's about your mind being elsewhere.

"Drivers using a hands-free phone get just as distracted as those holding it in their hand" - so yes it does say that. Exactly that.

How many times do people have to say it? The distraction of a phone is not related to the fact you have 1 or 2 hands on the wheel. It's about your mind being elsewhere.

Rage when I see arseholes holding it. More or less every car has bluetooth, if not you have speakerphones.

It's not the same thing.

Not the same statement:

"Texting is equally as distracting when walking as it is when driving"

"Texting is equally as dangerous when walking as it is when driving"

Last edited:
I have recently started listening to podcasts, mainly on the beach of the Roker Rapport Stewart Donald ones. I found a curious thing. If I am also reading something (e.g. a news website) I find that I cannot absorb what I'm reading or, if I'm concentrating on the article, I need to skip back a bit to the part of the podcast I've completely failed to take in.

I've even known it where I have no idea what I've just read or listened to and need to go back to both.

I can fully understand why a conversation in a car, whether by hands free phone or someone in the car, is a total distraction.

If you were delicately shaving your gonads with a cut throat razor whilst concentrating on instructions on how not to slice through your vas deferens, would you really then want to pick up a call from your Mrs asking if you could drop into Sainsburys for some salad & quinoa...

So basically they are saying talking in a car is dangerous? So are they gan try and stop drivers talking to the passengers too? What's the difference?

Hands free is already banned in all ‘company’ vehicles where I work. And/or in work time driving of any kind.

The research and evidence to support it was presented at the time of introduction and it was compelling and seemed well founded. You could probably google it and appreciate the difference between interacting with a passenger and with a device whilst driving ...I don’t recall the detail, only that there was some justification. The evidence was probably very selective but what the hell eh?

Back