Handing in notice just after starting new job

Other thing is I have a months notice to work at new place, so if I leave/put notice in first week I will hatta do a month with the people that I piss off :lol:

I have a friend who was in a sort of similar position, years ago. He was working on the shop floor at a foam company in Aycliffe and had just been offered a promotion to foreman. At the same time, he was offered an office job at the same company.

The Forman job paid more.

HE was sure he wanted to take the foreman job but we persuaded him over a few beers to take the office job as it would give him a better career path. He took it.

He's now CEO of a massive printing company.

Anyone done this?

Being made redundant from current job and applied for loads of other jobs got interviews and got offered one that I will walk straight into the day after I leave my current job

The job did quite excited me and inacceoted it straight away but now i have the chance to start at the job that I really wanted out of all of them.

Waiting for a start date but their is a chance it might not be until after I start my new one, i will then have to put my notice in on new job after one been there a couple of weeks.

Anyone ever done this? Going to feel like a reet shithouse on the new company but I don't feel like I can turn the job down that I have wanted to do for years

Just look after yourself mate - honestly.

They would soon get rid of you without a second thought

This

I have a friend who was in a sort of similar position, years ago. He was working on the shop floor at a foam company in Aycliffe and had just been offered a promotion to foreman. At the same time, he was offered an office job at the same company.

The Forman job paid more.

HE was sure he wanted to take the foreman job but we persuaded him over a few beers to take the office job as it would give him a better career path. He took it.

He's now CEO of a massive printing company.

They don’t take prisoners at that level.

It's not like they won't be able to find someone else to do the job. Plus if the boot was on the other foot, they wouldn't think twice about getting shot of you after a few weeks if they lost a contract or something. Use them until something better comes along and don't give them another thought. They'll have had people walk after a few hours so I wouldn't worry too much about it..

Anyone done this?

Being made redundant from current job and applied for loads of other jobs got interviews and got offered one that I will walk straight into the day after I leave my current job

The job did quite excited me and inacceoted it straight away but now i have the chance to start at the job that I really wanted out of all of them.

Waiting for a start date but their is a chance it might not be until after I start my new one, i will then have to put my notice in on new job after one been there a couple of weeks.

Anyone ever done this? Going to feel like a reet shithouse on the new company but I don't feel like I can turn the job down that I have wanted to do for years
In the first month of a new job, one week's notice is not uncommon. We had one lad do similar as the money was too good with the new job, he couldn't say no. So do what's right for you.

If you do get a start date beforehand, the knock the job you're due to start immediately if only to allow them to offer it to one of the other candidates if they are still available. If you start then quit, it's a whole new recruitment process meaning they have to start from scratch.

If it's an agency recruitment, that means two lots of fees to the agent, first for you then for your replacement. This happened with a job I went for.

Anyone done this?

I did the papers for one day then told them I was going on the milk.

In the first month of a new job, one week's notice is not uncommon. We had one lad do similar as the money was too good with the new job, he couldn't say no. So do what's right for you.

If you do get a start date beforehand, the knock the job you're due to start immediately if only to allow them to offer it to one of the other candidates if they are still available. If you start then quit, it's a whole new recruitment process meaning they have to start from scratch.

If it's an agency recruitment, that means two lots of fees to the agent, first for you then for your replacement. This happened with a job I went for.

My contract says 1 month notice so I assume if hatta do that

I started a job down Thornaby, 3 days in I got a phone call to say I’d been successful in interviewing for a job which I’d been chasing for 18month. Double the pay and only work 5 month a year, I felt a bit shit telling them I was away but the bloke was sound and said he couldn’t blame me and to give him a shout if it didn’t work out.

My contract says 1 month notice so I assume if hatta do that
See if you can get a start date out of your preferred job before you start the other, so you're not seen as dicking people about (at least the company).

That said, go with the job you want. Fuck the agency if one is involved as more often than not, agencies behave like complete dicks.

They would sack you in a heartbeat if it suited them. Companies will look after their own best interests, as they have to, so you should do the same.

Not always, there are fewer dickhead companies than employment agencies. You treat your employees like shit and it's high turnover time.

I couldn't start a job knowing full well i was off in a couple of weeks as it seems like more than a bit of a piss take. Just take the hit for a couple of weeks pay and enjoy the time off in the knowledge that you are not a shithouse.

Is there any training involved ? Just be careful in case there’s anything in contract about them recouping those costs as in that case you’d be better off not starting at all and just having a bit time off.

Have you explained situation to the (hopefully) new employer ? I’d maybe just try and hurry them along

Good shout, tell them you really want the job but have other offers and needs must. Not an unreasonable question and definately woth a go.

Last edited:
I couldn't start a job knowing full well i was off in a couple of weeks as it seems like more than a bit of a piss take. Just take the hit for a couple of weeks pay and enjoy the time off in the knowledge that you are not a shithouse.

Might not have a choice mate, seems like waiting frame for a start date for openreach is anywhere between 2 weeks and 4 month.

I've emailed them asking but just waiting on a reply

Anyone done this?

Do you even need to give notice? Aren't you in a trial period so can just tell them it's not working out for you and leave, means you go straight to your new job.

(sorry this already been answered by others)

Anyone done this?

Happens all the time mate, just be honest about it.

Back