Hamburg, Cologne & Hannover

• Thread starter Deleted member 7190
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7190

Oh wise SMB, I'm after a few suggestions..

Next month the missus (no) and I are spending 8 days in Germany, visiting Hamburg, Cologne and Hannover (with a brief diversion through Herford as I used to live there and it has been years since I've visited the place :))

The last time I visited these places was when I was a young child, so I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on what to do in these cities, that would be excellent. I've had a quick look on TripAdvisor, but I find this place more helpful.

For Hamburg I doubt the 'usual' in the Reeperbahn would cut it with the missus (just before it gets mentioned ;))

We are hiring a car for part of the trip from Hannover as well.

Thanks in advance. :)

Next month the missus (no) and I are spending 8 days in Germany, visiting Hamburg, Cologne and Hannover (with a brief diversion through Herford as I used to live there and it has been years since I've visited the place :))

The last time I visited these places was when I was a young child, so I'm wondering if you have any suggestions on what to do in these cities, that would be excellent. I've had a quick look on TripAdvisor, but I find this place more helpful.

For Hamburg I doubt the 'usual' in the Reeperbahn would cut it with the missus (just before it gets mentioned ;))

For Hamburg:
-Miniatur Wünderland is surprisingly good, a scale model of the entire city (mini planes also take off from the airport!)
-Speicherstadt is a nice area where all the old warehouses have been kept and turned into museums.
-Landungsbrücken is very touristy but pretty cool, plenty of boat trips along the Elbe. Next to this is the old Elbe tunnel where you can walk through to the other side.
-City centre is just a nice place to be, boat trips on the Alster are decent. Old church of St. Nikolai is the remains of a bombed cathedral from WWII.
-If the missus is a football fan you’ve got St. Pauli and Hamburg (depending on when you go the Stadtderby is next month for the first time since 2011 so it’ll be a class atmosphere!)
-Altona, St. Pauli, Sternschanze all grotty but in a hipster/chic kind of way. All are safe and nice to walk about.

Can’t help you with the other places but Hamburg is one of my favourite places so if I can help further just shout!

Hamburg
International Maritime Museum - there's a little bit of Sunderland history there.
Miniatur Wunderland - Model railway for the kid that's still in you.
Chocolate Museum
Get the U or S-Bahn to Landungsbrucken for a cruise on the river. You'll also get great views of the docks. Doesn't sound much but the scale of them is awesome.
Visit St Pauli's ground. Its at one end of the Reeperbahn so you can plead ignorance with the missus.

Cologne
The Dom is a must visit.
Not really done much else but eat & drink whilst there but have a look around the Alter Markt area and along the riverside.

Only been to Hanover for a few hours when we played them in a friendly a few years ago.

Many years since I worked there, but I thought Cologne and Hannover was shite. Prefer Dusseldorf and Frankfurt.

I’m in Hamburg next month with work. Tell me more :lol:

It's awash with ladies of the night. ;)

Many years since I worked there, but I thought Cologne and Hannover was shite. Prefer Dusseldorf and Frankfurt.

I thought of Duesseldorf as being somewhere you go out on the lash with the lads.
Might well spend a day there as well to be fair.

Hamburg
International Maritime Museum - there's a little bit of Sunderland history there.
Miniatur Wunderland - Model railway for the kid that's still in you.
Chocolate Museum
Get the U or S-Bahn to Landungsbrucken for a cruise on the river. You'll also get great views of the docks. Doesn't sound much but the scale of them is awesome.
Visit St Pauli's ground. Its at one end of the Reeperbahn so you can plead ignorance with the missus.

Cologne
The Dom is a must visit.
Not really done much else but eat & drink whilst there but have a look around the Alter Markt area and along the riverside.

Only been to Hanover for a few hours when we played them in a friendly a few years ago.

Cheers! :D

I shall have a look at those.

For Hamburg:
-Miniatur Wünderland is surprisingly good, a scale model of the entire city (mini planes also take off from the airport!)
-Speicherstadt is a nice area where all the old warehouses have been kept and turned into museums.
-Landungsbrücken is very touristy but pretty cool, plenty of boat trips along the Elbe. Next to this is the old Elbe tunnel where you can walk through to the other side.
-City centre is just a nice place to be, boat trips on the Alster are decent. Old church of St. Nikolai is the remains of a bombed cathedral from WWII.
-If the missus is a football fan you’ve got St. Pauli and Hamburg (depending on when you go the Stadtderby is next month for the first time since 2011 so it’ll be a class atmosphere!)
-Altona, St. Pauli, Sternschanze all grotty but in a hipster/chic kind of way. All are safe and nice to walk about.

Can’t help you with the other places but Hamburg is one of my favourite places so if I can help further just shout!

Thanks.

Unfortunately I'll not be in Hamburg on the weekend, we'll be moving on.

I've realised I'll be there during the anniversary of German unification so I guess there maybe parties.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m in Hamburg next month with work. Tell me more :lol:
Check out the reviews on trip advisor.

My favourite says something along the lines of "if a 12 year old boy and a dirty old man had a collaboration it would be the reeperbahn" says it all really

Thanks all, I'll certainly look into the suggestions. I may can Hannover and go to Duesseldorf as well, stopping off in Herford on the way for a quick look.

Hamburg and Cologne are lovely cities.

As others have mentioned, the Miniatur Wünderland is very good. I was skeptical about going in there but really enjoyed it. The river tour around the docks is good, they're huge. St. Petri Kirche (St. Peter's Church). offers some good views of the city if you can get up the tower.

Awesome food and beer (Kölsch) in Cologne. The Lindt experience and sports and olympia museum are next door to each to spend a few hours. You can get the U Bahn to Phantasialand if you want to go to a theme park, or you can stay on the same U Bahn and head into Bonn.

Hamburg and Cologne are lovely cities.

As others have mentioned, the Miniatur Wünderland is very good. I was skeptical about going in there but really enjoyed it. The river tour around the docks is good, they're huge. St. Petri Kirche (St. Peter's Church). offers some good views of the city if you can get up the tower.

Awesome food and beer (Kölsch) in Cologne. The Lindt experience and sports and olympia museum are next door to each to spend a few hours. You can get the U Bahn to Phantasialand if you want to go to a theme park, or you can stay on the same U Bahn and head into Bonn.

I'd forgotten about Bonn, the old capital.

Back