Halfway House pub Southwick

Typo home not gone and likely to no likito

Yeah, I understand that really. Needs a lot of work doing to it though and pubs are sadly closing all the time

I just think wherever possible we should try to save pubs. You are right though, they are closing and will continue to do so, lots of reasons, the most recent and most brutal one IMO is lifestyle changes. There has been a discontinuation, where young people hardly ever or don't even think or want to go to the pub, the older drinkers are dying off and not being replaced. Pubs, apart from those in city/town centres and glorified restaurants masquerading as pubs will all but cease to exist with 15 years time. Dry pubs in villages and the middle of nowhere will be a thing you tell your grandkids about.

Also, as mentioned elsewhere on this thread, even if the pub in question was saved, the poor people living in the area wouldn't and couldn't use it, because they couldn't afford to pay 4 quid a pint. Most poor people drinking in pubs these days, drink cheap John Smiths and Fosters generally in shitholes, the very pubs that have been closing or are likely to close over the next 15 years or so, beer drinking in a pub unfortunately has become a middle class occupation. I imagine most poor people now drink at home.

Last edited:
Even though I hardly go in, still be sad to see that go as least in a pub form. Used to one of the places along with The Albion (RIP) further up that we’d go in on matchdays in the early SOL days. It’s like a shrine to SAFC inside as well.

Even though I hardly go in, still be sad to see that go as least in a pub form. Used to one of the places along with The Albion (RIP) further up that we’d go in on matchdays in the early SOL days. It’s like a shrine to SAFC inside as well.
I went in for first time in years last season and it was a dump serving crap beer. Not surprised at all to see it closed.
I just think wherever possible we should try to save pubs. You are right though, they are closing and will continue to do so, lots of reasons, the most recent and most brutal one IMO is lifestyle changes. There has been a discontinuation, where young people hardly ever or don't even think or want to go to the pub, the older drinkers are dying off and not being replaced. Pubs, apart from those in city/town centres and glorified restaurants masquerading as pubs will all but cease to exist with 15 years time. Dry pubs in villages and the middle of nowhere will be a thing you tell your grandkids about.

Also, as mentioned elsewhere on this thread, even if the pub in question was saved, the poor people living in the area wouldn't and couldn't use it, because they couldn't afford to pay 4 quid a pint. Most poor people drinking in pubs these days, drink cheap John Smiths and Fosters generally in shitholes, the very pubs that have been closing or are likely to close over the next 15 years or so, beer drinking in a pub unfortunately has become a middle class occupation. I imagine most poor people now drink at home.
Like everything, pubs need to move with the times.

Serving food and / or craft beer is the future. Very few successful places don't do one of these. And they generally serve crap beer at low prices to people I don't want to associate with. Places like the blandford and beehive.

Last edited:
I have little doubt - make that no doubt - that CAMRA wouldn't invest however many thousands upon thousands of £££££ in the place.
Why would or should anyone else?

There are undoubtedly some prime areas for a good craft beer / bistro / restaurant to start up. Southwick doesn't immediately spring to mind as a destination......

You would have to be off your tits to open a restaurant in Suddick
Italian Kitchen is always busy when we get in mind. The Scullery is the same over Silky way and that doesn't look the greatest area. Good places get a good reputation and people will travel there.

The Halfway House building looks shot to bits though and there's no dedicated car parking - despite there being a big part of the old road nearby, it's all double yellows - so the only parking is outside of houses.

Italian Kitchen is always busy when we get in mind. The Scullery is the same over Silky way and that doesn't look the greatest area. Good places get a good reputation and people will travel there.

The Halfway House building looks shot to bits though and there's no dedicated car parking - despite there being a big part of the old road nearby, it's all double yellows - so the only parking is outside of houses.
Italian Kitchen is as far out of Suddick as you can get before it becomes Fulwell and Silky is like Beverly Hills in comparison

Sad but very true.

The only problem i have with Italian Kitchen is how loud it is inside.

Back