Hales and Stokes

Status
Not open for further replies.
New balance clearly believe his actions were not acceptable, hence the reason they have stopped the deal.

I would imagine the top people at the company are quiet intelligent and not idiots in any shape or form,

To be fair, they'll have made a decision purely on how (they predict) the public perceive the incident - after all, that's how sponsors work and business work.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to offer balance (no pun intended), I don't believe Multi-million pound sports firms have a moral compass in the grand scheme in honesty.

Edit: @Bri worded it better than me above in fairness.

As I've said I'm not particularly bothere by any of the incidents, I just want to see the best players playing for England, their personal lives mean fuck all to me but objectively its impossible to make a case for him, it was obvious he was fucked as soon as video was released. I just don't see point in trying to play the nothing to see here card, it's not going to make any difference to what happens with Stokes.

"impossible to make a case for him" - based on what? - nobody knows what went on in that nightclub. from what i've seen, someone is waving a glass bottle about outside, he deserves a clip.

Lets see if he is charged.

If he isn't then he obviously hasn't, despite your desperation

Again, I will repeat, I will try and smash a bottle over your head, and see what happens.
He's not going to the Ashes regardless by looks of things and hes lost his sponsor so he's obviously done something wrong, out at 2.30 in morning pissed up and scrapping isn't going to
Sit well with employees I'm afraid. If the ECB frown
Upon name calling in a text they'll be inconsolable over this!
What desperation? I want stokes there as I've said countless times but me burying my head in sand isn't going to make it happen.

Lets see if he is charged.

If he isn't then he obviously hasn't, despite your desperation

Again, I will repeat, I will try and smash a bottle over your head, and see what happens.

That's not necessarily true of course. If there is a prospect of an assailant facing charges himself then that could result in no charges being brought. There have been charges dropped against many people that have done bad things for many reasons.

Nobody 'wants' Stokes to get in trouble on here. There is no better site in cricket than him playing well with bat or ball and we are all huge cricket fans. As a cricket lover i'm desperate to see him play against Australia It doesn't stop me or others saying what they think is right.

As I've said I'm not particularly bothere by any of the incidents, I just want to see the best players playing for England, their personal lives mean fuck all to me but objectively its impossible to make a case for him, it was obvious he was fucked as soon as video was released. I just don't see point in trying to play the nothing to see here card, it's not going to make any difference to what happens with Stokes.

If the Police and CPS say no further action - that statement will look very silly.

I'm not suggesting he'll get off with it, but he hasn't yet been charged with any crime.

"impossible to make a case for him" - based on what? - nobody knows what went on in that nightclub. from what i've seen, someone is waving a glass bottle about outside, he deserves a clip.
The last 20 seconds cripples him. Lads were on their bike and he went and craked him anyway. Not going to get awat with that I'm afraid.

If the Police and CPS say no further action - that statement will look very silly.

I'm not suggesting he'll get off with it, but he hasn't yet been charged with any crime.
No it won't as its cost him his Ashes place. That in itself should tell you there's an issue regardless if charges are made.

Last edited:
He's not going to the Ashes regardless by looks of things and hes lost his sponsor so he's obviously done something wrong, out at 2.30 in morning pissed up and scrapping isn't going to.

I'm interested how you've reached this conclusion of 'obviously'. Many ex-players and those close to or who have been within the system aren't ruling him out so surely as you......?!

As has been covered, sponsors only react with how the public reacts. They're protecting their image. I wouldn't be surprised if they Harvey Price thing damaged his image more than the punches thrown.

As for being out at 2:30am, I tend to go along with Mark Butcher's view on this - three days before a game it's of little concern. Almost to the extent it's been done hundreds of times before. Furthermore, Butchers overall opinion of the whole charade...... "A load of bollocks".

You laughed when GM mentioned 'character assassination' - I took that to mean you didn't believe there had been one. I'm saying there absolutely has.
I’m saying there hasn’t.

I don’t agree with holding back a story, and it’s clearly been used to damage. But that isn’t character assassination, as it tells it’s own story.

I do find it amusing that one of those who hates the media for this is part of said media

No it won't as its cost him his Ashes place. That in itself should tell you there's an issue regardless if charges are made.

Says who? Have you spoken to Strauss? Or the CPS?

Last I heard he was suspended until the police make their decision. That could happen next week - it could be NFA.......

I’m saying there hasn’t.

I don’t agree with holding back a story, and it’s clearly been used to damage. But that isn’t character assassination, as it tells it’s own story.

I do find it amusing that one of those who hates the media for this is part of said media

So you don't think there has been a character assassination?

What about the other things I mentioned, aside from the Harvey shit?

What about the 'outrage' over Stokes smoking a tab at the weekend? Front page shit. f***ing barmy. What next, Stokes knocks out a massive turd?!

The vilification of everything Stokes does by vile papers is exactly character assassination. In comparison the 'victim' can do no wrong, he's one of the most heroic, brave, model citizens in this country :rolleyes:.

What do the rags have to do to constitute character assassination in your book?

Google definition of character assassination: the malicious and unjustified harming of a person's good reputation.

That is EXACTLY what certain shitrags have been doing to Ben Stokes.

Last edited:
Says who? Have you spoken to Strauss? Or the CPS?

Last I heard he was suspended until the police make their decision. That could happen next week - it could be NFA.......

So you don't think there has been a character assassination?

What about the other things I mentioned, aside from the Harvey shit?

What about the 'outrage' over Stokes smoking a tab at the weekend? Front page shit. f***ing barmy. What next, Stokes knocks out a massive turd?!

The vilification of everything Stokes does by vile papers is exactly character assassination. In comparison the 'victim' can do no wrong, he's one of the most heroic, brave, model citizens in this country :rolleyes:.

What do the rags have to do to constitute character assassination in your book?

Google definition of character assassination: the malicious and unjustified harming of a person's good reputation.

That is EXACTLY what certain shitrags have been doing to Ben Stokes.
I’ve haven’t seen the “tab”story. What else is there? Genuine question.

As I have repeated, judging by the video (which I recognise is incomplete), he has brought this on himself. He went too far. And whilst we all want him playing for Durham and England, he is at fault.

Sponsor pull plug, stokes apologises and he's not going to Ashes.
All this and people still trying to say he's done nothing wrong :confused:
I'm not saying he's done anything wrong. I'm quite happy to wait for a proper investigation and if he's guilty welcome him back after he's been punished.

What I am not going to do is get my pitchfork out of the cupboard and join a lynching party. Nor am I going to get that worked up about it. There will be due process and I'm happy enough that it does and afterwards happy that Stokes will continue his career entertaining cricket fans (but not too much of that T20 stuff).

I'm interested how you've reached this conclusion of 'obviously'. Many ex-players and those close to or who have been within the system aren't ruling him out so surely as you......?!

As has been covered, sponsors only react with how the public reacts. They're protecting their image. I wouldn't be surprised if they Harvey Price thing damaged his image more than the punches thrown.

As for being out at 2:30am, I tend to go along with Mark Butcher's view on this - three days before a game it's of little concern. Almost to the extent it's been done hundreds of times before. Furthermore, Butchers overall opinion of the whole charade...... "A load of bollocks".
It's been done countless times and will be done again but I don't recall seeing any of our players braying anyone at 2.30 in morning which makes a big difference.
I just don't see this blowing over in time for the Ashes and given how high profile the case is and the evidence I fail to see how a blind eye can be turned to it.

I’ve haven’t seen the “tab”story. What else is there? Genuine question.

As I have repeated, judging by the video (which I recognise is incomplete), he has brought this on himself. He went too far. And whilst we all want him playing for Durham and England, he is at fault.

I'm not doubting he's brought it upon himself - that's not up for debate, so there's no need to change the subject.

With the evidence I presented to you, do you still feel various media outlets have not attempted to assassinate his character?

It's been done countless times and will be done again but I don't recall seeing any of our players braying anyone at 2.30 in morning which makes a big difference.
I just don't see this blowing over in time for the Ashes and given how high profile the case is and the evidence I fail to see how a blind eye can be turned to it.

The braying someone is not contestable. It's the 2:30am part that I take issue with - many players who've known the system see no problem with it, that's what I was trying to emphasise. I don't condone the violence but I feel it's unfair to attack him for being out at that time because it isn't that much of a problem within the history of the camp.

Again, they were 'off duty' celebrating a win, three days before the next game and likely 36 hours before having to report in for 'work' next.

That's like you or me going out on the piss on a Saturday night, with work to go to on the Monday.

Last edited:
To be fair, they'll have made a decision purely on how (they predict) the public perceive the incident - after all, that's how sponsors work and business work.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just trying to offer balance (no pun intended), I don't believe Multi-million pound sports firms have a moral compass in the grand scheme in honesty.

Edit: @Bri worded it better than me above in fairness.

Of course they don't I fully agree,however you are dead right,they perceive the majority of the public will find his behaviour over the top and overly aggressive.

Which says it all really.

I'll defend him until the day I die over the Harvey Price video, absolutely embarassing the fake outrage and idiots playing the disabled card for their fake outrage.

- HELLO...............

As for the incident outside the nightclub, i look forward to hearing his version of events in the future, but folk seemingly have him guilty/scum/he started it all without basically knowing anything about it. As I've said if someone was acting a dick towards me waving a glass bottle, I'd clip him as well.

Even if you believe every word of his story his behaviour was over the top.

Last edited:
Of course they don't I fully agree,however you are dead right,they perceive the majority of the public will find his behaviour over the top and overly aggressive.

Which says it all really.

Even if you believe every word of his story his behaviour was over the top.

They'd be wrong to perceive that

Worrying when you starting believing The Sun is the best source to sum up the national feeling

All the major pundits say if he isn't charged then he obviously goes

As I say, lets see if he is charged, if he is he won't go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not doubting he's brought it upon himself - that's not up for debate, so there's no need to change the subject.

With the evidence I presented to you, do you still feel various media outlets have not attempted to assassinate his character?

The braying someone is not contestable. It's the 2:30am part that I take issue with - many players who've known the system see no problem with it, that's what I was trying to emphasise. I don't condone the violence but I feel it's unfair to attack him for being out at that time because it isn't that much of a problem within the history of the camp.

Again, they were 'off duty' celebrating a win, three days before the next game and likely 36 hours before having to report in for 'work' next.

That's like you or me going out on the piss on a Saturday night, with work to go to on the Monday.
Depends how you define it I guess. I’d say the media is being the media, and that’s not a positive thing

Like I say, if you've waving glass bottles about outside you deserve a clip. I fully support Ben Stokes 100% as does the wife.
I can understand your unremitting support for Stokes, and as you say if someone is waving a bottle they deserve *a clip*, I think the problem is that he appeared to lose it and went overboard, he will suffer the consequences and I can guarantee you that he'll tucked away in his ivory tower regretting every single second of it.

They'd be wrong to perceive that

Worrying when you starting believing The Sun is the best source to sum up the national feeling

All the major pundits say if he isn't charged then he obviously goes

As I say, lets see if he is charged, if he is he won't go.

I think it's fair to say the excuctives at new balance are intelligent enough to to make their own mind up, and rightly or wrongly think his behaviour is not what their want to represent their brand as their feel the public at large will also think that,I think what The Sun says has nothing to do with it all, people are also intelligent enough to make their own minds up.

I can understand your unremitting support for Stokes, and as you say if someone is waving a bottle they deserve *a clip*, I think the problem is that he appeared to lose it and went overboard, he will suffer the consequences and I can guarantee you that he'll tucked away in his ivory tower regretting every single second of it.

This totally, this is what I really fail to understand, of course everyone can understand him reacting the way he did at first, who wouldn't in that situation!

However the fact he went on and on and completely lost it going overboard is where his behaviour was way over the top.

In the video his own mate tries to pull him back yet he shrugs him off to have another go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back