Hair of the Dog

In general there is a different drinking culture between northern and southern Europe. With southern Europe being drinking less and more often and with food, there are still big problems with alcoholism but they're more hidden. Northern Europe has more of a culture of going out to drink and public drunkenness is more acceptable. Here people might go out for a couple of drinks or aim to get pissed. In my experience young Americans aim to just get drunk as quickly as possible where Brits will take their time.
Thanks for that, it's interesting to see how the attitude about drinking varies from place to place. I appreciate it.

Thanks for that, it's interesting to see how the attitude about drinking varies from place to place. I appreciate it.

An interesting read.
Is Spain an “alcoholic society”?
As I understand it the Spanish drink more than Brits, but as previously mentioned it’s usually spread out through the day

Another interesting link.

UK vs. Spain: a boozy comparison | Sepia

Also Binge drinking amongst young Spanish has become fairly common in recent years, especially at Botellons where they all bring along their own booze and go hard at it all night.

These are not always in public places and as a result it’s not uncommon for kids as young as 12 to end up comatosed in hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back