Had a tick hanging out of my leg..

My old Springer got about 5 of them when rushing about in fern undergrowth formerly occupied by sheep. The Vet had a handy little plastic tool that you hooked around their neck and yanked them out. Its important to remove the whole thing.

Also the Lyme disease thing is pretty nasty so do get it checked out. It's important prevention so you won't be wasting anyone's time they are nasty insects.

Went for my second jab today and used it as an opportunity to quiz the nurse. She said that it looked like I'd got everything out but to keep an eye out for any swelling or redness (or flu like symptoms, which I suppose could be a possible reaction to the vaccine?).
She also said that it's important to tell the doctor where I'd been as some regions are hot spots for Lyme disease.

She also couldn't believe how I never even flinched when she stuck the needle in, said I was very brave.

Good stuff. they’re easy enough to remove fully. My dog has had about 14
Those twist sticks are the best

that said if you do it wrong the head of the tick snaps off and is left inside the body

get the twist stick over the tick and spin it til it all comes out

Last edited:
My old Springer got about 5 of them when rushing about in fern undergrowth formerly occupied by sheep. The Vet had a handy little plastic tool that you hooked around their neck and yanked them out. Its important to remove the whole thing.

Also the Lyme disease thing is pretty nasty so do get it checked out. It's important prevention so you won't be wasting anyone's time they are nasty insects.
Awful things. The dog got a load on him last summer. Covered in them he was, poor bugger. Took about an hour with the little tool to get them all out. Some of them were massive anarl

Awful things. The dog got a load on him last summer. Covered in them he was, poor bugger. Took about an hour with the little tool to get them all out. Some of them were massive anarl
Try doing that to a cat, massive one next to paw........the cat would have literally glassed me if it had a pint pot and thumbs...it was foaming.
but the plastic tool is essential like..

I remember watching Animal Hospital once and Rolf Harris showed us a cat with ticks around its neck. He had a big drawing of a tick on the wall and it looked like a freaking combine harvester. He said "I think most living things are beautiful but ticks are disgusting they make my skin crawl". Pretty ironic in view of what he turned out to be.

Back