Hackney bike thieves.

I saw that photo with all the bike and thought it was a police compound where they stored seized bikes from thieves. But its one property where they've all been stashed.

I've seen an almost identical scene (a compound full of bikes) in southern France, but that was a Police compound.

I'd have thought dozens of bemused (ex) cyclists wandering around wearing Lycra would be a good clue to the local police. When does bike theft register as important enough to bother about in a small area. I reckon 100.

Anyway, slap on the wrists will teach them to mend their ways.

I know I’m thinking of getting a new bike in the next couple of years for my long rides and commuting, on long rides, I’m never leaving the bike and at work there are secure indoor cycle sheds, so it should be safe. If I do, I’ll probably keep my current bike as a go to the pub/shops bike just for that reason. It probably is not worth the time to steel it at the moment.
You go to the pub on your bike?

You go to the pub on your bike?

I do too.
Cordless grinders are the tool of choice for them these days. Will cut through any chain lock in seconds.

Aye that's the thing. Even the best D-locks going stand no chance against one of those.

My bike is a bag of shit, scruffy and heavy. No point getting anything better, it just increases the likelihood of it being stolen, and the theft anxiety (which is very real!).

Serious q can you drink and ride a pedal bike. I've honestly no idea I did it once when I was 17 and took the back roads in case thd police were about.
Legally, probably not. I don't cycle if I'm going to have a big session but 2-3, and a few miles away I do. I only ever cycle if there is a route that is mostly off road too. The two main places I'm likely to go have cycle tracks for the majority of it.

Was having a pint in jamesons years ago in the window seat opposite the old museum. My mate says look he's away with that bike. On the corner there was a bloke bolt cropping a bike lock off a bike chained to the barrier. On he jumped and started peddling like fuck towards us. In the meantime a bloke at the bar ran out after him. It was his bike. As the thief got to where we were, the lock chain got tangled in the spokes and he went straight over the handlebars into a heap. The owner caught up and the thief legged it. The owner got his bike back minus a lock, but gained a brand new bolt cropper. Hope it's somebody off here who got his bike back.

Had my bike chained to a drainpipe in the back yard at my old flat and some absolute twat kicked the pipe off the wall to get the bike. Probably them who come round looking over walls off the top of a van.

It wasn't even that good a bike, only worth a few hundred quid, but the insurance wouldn't pay out because it wasn't chained to an immovable object. Since then I've just had a couple of cheap ones I've fixed up a bit. I wouldn't trust an expensive one left outside.

Legally, probably not. I don't cycle if I'm going to have a big session but 2-3, and a few miles away I do. I only ever cycle if there is a route that is mostly off road too. The two main places I'm likely to go have cycle tracks for the majority of it.

Me and a mate used to do it regularly after work. We'd put about 20 miles in before the first stop then add another 10 or so with 2 or 3 other stops. Like you say, mostly on trails though.

It's rife around here. If you've got a good bike and leave it out in public enough it'll be stolen before long. Doesn't matter what you spend on locks, if they want it they'll have it.
Makes you wonder who is buying them though. I’ve had a couple of bikes nicked over the years but they weren’t expensive. Seemed like a waste of everyone’s time to be honest.
Should chip all new bikes nowadays like. Wouldn't be that hard.
Remember when the police would hammer your number into the frame? Or did I imagine that growing up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes you wonder who is buying them though. I’ve had a couple of bikes nicked over the years but they weren’t expensive. Seemed like a waste of everyone’s time to be honest.

Remember when the police would hammer your number into the frame? Or did I imagine that growing up?

Aye they used to de that, i had a stamp set mesel to punch numbers in the frame
More professional stateside.

This is what you want

Logon or register to see this image

Back