Hackney bike thieves.

Makes you wonder who is buying them though. I’ve had a couple of bikes nicked over the years but they weren’t expensive. Seemed like a waste of everyone’s time to be honest.

Remember when the police would hammer your number into the frame? Or did I imagine that growing up?
I was in Lewisham the other day at around 10am to make a bank payment. Walked out and there was this 40odd year old bloke wheeling a bike through the market with a can of K cider in his spare hand. The bike was a carbon mountain bike. That's who is buying them.

I was in Lewisham the other day at around 10am to make a bank payment. Walked out and there was this 40odd year old bloke wheeling a bike through the market with a can of K cider in his spare hand. The bike was a carbon mountain bike. That's who is buying them.

That market at Lewisham is a strange one. Everhvstall sells exactly the same things for the same prices.

All I can hear when I'm in the office is 'pound a bowl'

Makes you wonder who is buying them though. I’ve had a couple of bikes nicked over the years but they weren’t expensive. Seemed like a waste of everyone’s time to be honest.

Remember when the police would hammer your number into the frame? Or did I imagine that growing up?

They go on Gumtree and get bought by anyone. If you're buying off there in London there's a very high chance you're buying stolen goods.
My current bike came with a number already on the frame.

Every bike built for the last few decades will have a frame number under the bottom bracket. It's what they use to identify the bike if you register it through the Bike Register.

They go on Gumtree and get bought by anyone. If you're buying off there in London there's a very high chance you're buying stolen goods.

Every bike built for the last few decades will have a frame number under the bottom bracket. It's what they use to identify the bike if you register it through the Bike Register.

Usually selling a £500 bike for peanuts so they sell it quick and can buy some tack.

For security of anything you need to think like a thief not a citizen. I have seen people check a padlock by gripping it between thumb and first finger and pulling it a bit then going that’s that sorted. Bike security is the same. One good bit of advice is if you can’t see it you can’t nick it - for example don’t chain your bike to a fence, rather take it inside your work/house etc. Then chain it to big Pete from accounts.

I guess it’s easy to say but if people didn’t buy them, they wouldn’t nick them.

Back