Gyms in Ryhope Area

Seaham Towny

Striker
I'm moving into a house in the new Cherry Tree Park Estate in Ryhope in a couple months.

Does anyone know of any gyms nearby that perhaps aren't listed through a Google search? There were a few where I used to live that had minimal online presence.

Have not yet passed a driving test so we need one easily accessible via walking or public transport for the time being.

What's the gym like in the Raich Carter centre? I'm guessing fairly small standard leisure centre gym. I've got a years everyone active membership active now and thinking about popping along to use it. Will probably be using the Hetton one more but may pop along for a change when just wanting to use the gym

What's the gym like in the Raich Carter centre? I'm guessing fairly small standard leisure centre gym. I've got a years everyone active membership active now and thinking about popping along to use it. Will probably be using the Hetton one more but may pop along for a change when just wanting to use the gym

To quote myself I paid a visit here on Friday and was impressed. Bigger than what a thought and probably twice the size of the gym at Hetton. Will probably use this one as my go to gym from now on rather than Hetton

Moved to Ryhope last year, I would totally recommend Performance Fitness Centre in Leechmere. Best gym I've been a member of.
Not cheap though is it ? Looks a canny set up but more weights and CrossFit stuff and little cardio from what i saw anyway , only went for sports massage few month back

Not cheap though is it ? Looks a canny set up but more weights and CrossFit stuff and little cardio from what i saw anyway , only went for sports massage few month back
I think it's between 33-35 a month (need to check my DirectDebit).. There is plenty of Treadmills / bikes etc for cardio. Has a nice community atmosphere that you don't find in a lot of typical Council / Everyone Active gyms..

Think plans have been put in for a new gym in the old Storeys unit next to B & M at the bottom of Hollycarrside Road. No idea how long before it'll open though.

To quote myself I paid a visit here on Friday and was impressed. Bigger than what a thought and probably twice the size of the gym at Hetton. Will probably use this one as my go to gym from now on rather than Hetton
Was a member there many years ago and found it a nightmare for the times I could go. It was medical referrals during the day and you couldn’t get parked for 5 a side on a night. Staff would follow you around late on switching off the kit around you too. It sounds like it’s maybe changed for the better but once the aquatics centre closes in April I expect all other Sunderland sites to get very busy.
I'm moving into a house in the new Cherry Tree Park Estate in Ryhope in a couple months.

Does anyone know of any gyms nearby that perhaps aren't listed through a Google search? There were a few where I used to live that had minimal online presence.

Have not yet passed a driving test so we need one easily accessible via walking or public transport for the time being.
If you’re driving to any JD is as good and as cheap as anywhere. Better than pure gym other than pure gym’s 24hr opening times.

Last edited:

Back