Gym Routines

100%. There's a young lad who goes to the same gym as me who's always focused on technique and getting a decent amount of time under tension and his improvements are nuts compared to the ones who are just trying to lift as heavy a weight as possible while sacrificing form. There's one lad who benches for about 5 reps, with 3 of them heavily assisted by his mate, I just don't see the point.

Interesting to hear another suggest higher reps squats, I'm definitely going to give it a try when I finish the plan I'm doing. What kind of speed are you doing them?
Bench is an interesting one too because it’s obviously the lift pretty much everyone loves to do but it isn’t actually a great muscle builder for most people at the best of times (if you’re one of the people it works for, you’ll know it). Similar to the squat, if you’re overloading the weight at the expense of form or reps, you’re going to get even less out of out from a hypertrophy perspective.

This is well worth watching for how Jay Cutler bench-presses and what he has to say about it. It also really highlights the difference between pressing for power and pressing to gain muscle better than any video I think I’ve actually seen. It also really resonated with me because I’ve definitely found far more joy doing incline bench overall. And I have seen more noticeable improvement since I adopted his technique for regular bench than I did in the years before it.

I don’t specifically time it, I try to be slightly slower coming up than going down though. I’d say maybe 1 second down 2-3seconds up.
I’d be interested to see how much difference it made for you if you reversed that and slowed down the eccentric phase rather than doing the reverse.

Nonetheless, slow and controlled is the way to go.

Last edited:

I’m finding 3x12 is giving me the best results I’ve had muscle definition wise in my legs (I can see proper definition for the first time since I was in my 20s and I’m about a stone and a half heavier than back then). I always used to find when I was doing 5x5 that I wasn’t getting low enough and when I was in the weight range to get low enough I could pretty much squat all day.

I’m now doing progression with 3x12 and really seeing the difference. I’m doing a legs/push/pull/hinge routine (all exercises somewhere in the 4x8 to 3x12 range) with light cardio on the 5th session of the week if I manage a 5th visit.
I'm of the opinion that your body gets used to what you do , so you need to change your rep range.
I've always had best results on a 3 day full body workout, changing rep ranges every 4 -5 weeks.
I do 2-5 reps , 5 sets, then 8-12 reps x 3 sets and then 15-20 reps x 3 sets.

If youre doing a 5x5 and can't get low enough then your weights are too heavy!
Days in between I do mobility, like combat stretch etc, to inc my squat depth.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent website to build a gym routine which will help help with weight loss and toning up? Whenever i use the gym I'm a bit aimless, walking about doing a bit here and a bit there on weight machines and concentrating mainly on the cardio equipment.

Its all good and well folk giving 4,5 6 day routines , but for most folk this isn't achievable.
Think how many times you can go a week, for the rest of your life!
you need to be consistent. We can all go when we're motivated , but its going when you're not that's the key!
the majority of people will be most successful on 2 or 3 sessions a wweek. Never 2 days in a row.
In a 2 or 3 day a week gym routine, do the big compound lifts every session

Shoulders - standing overhead press is imo, the best exercise or variations, like Arnold press, z press , seated press, or if you have shoulder mobility then maybe landmine press.

Back- pull ups , rows (barbell or dumbell) , dead lifts (trap bar if you're worried about form )

Legs. Barbell Squats, Barbell backward lunge , Bulgarian squats.

Chest, bench press (either barbell or dumbell)

I love to start or finish with farmers walks.

This is really all you need to do. One from each group, each time you go. Concentrating on form and full range of motion, with a good slow tempo, like 422, (4 secs on the negative, 2 secs on hold and 2 secs on the positive)

Check videos on you tube regularly to make sure you're doing things correctly.

Free weights over machines , depending what's at your gym, but if you're more comfortable on machines, then start with them, but you should always be trying to do dead lifts and squats , 2 of the best exercises for your body telling you you need to put on muscle, and therefore inc metabolism.
Interesting to hear another suggest higher reps squats, I'm definitely going to give it a try when I finish the plan I'm doing. What kind of speed are you doing them?
As mentioned, your body , imo, quickly adapts to rep ranges.
At most rep ranges I use 422, 4 secs on the negative, 2 on the hold and 2 on the positive.
I’d be interested to see how much difference it made for you if you reversed that and slowed down the eccentric phase rather than doing the reverse.

Nonetheless, slow and controlled is the way to go.
I agree , slower on the eccentric phase
And I nearly always use a slight incline.
Think it develops a better looking chest , and easier to keep form and keep your scapula retracted

Last edited:
You would think that would be the case, but the moment I got down to the weight point where I was getting low enough I could do mammoth sets and 5x5 at that weight didn’t even make me feel challenged at all (like I wouldn’t actually need any rest time between even sets), but as soon as I put the weight up, even by 2.5kg I was struggling for depth again. It was most likely a technique issue (or psychological) but since I switched my weight has progressed significantly whilst my form hasn’t suffered.

Last edited:
I'm of the opinion that your body gets used to what you do , so you need to change your rep range.
I've always had best results on a 3 day full body workout, changing rep ranges every 4 -5 weeks.
I do 2-5 reps , 5 sets, then 8-12 reps x 3 sets and then 15-20 reps x 3 sets.

Days in between I do mobility, like combat stretch etc, to inc my squat depth.

Its all good and well folk giving 4,5 6 day routines , but for most folk this isn't achievable.
Think how many times you can go a week, for the rest of your life!
you need to be consistent. We can all go when we're motivated , but its going when you're not that's the key!
the majority of people will be most successful on 2 or 3 sessions a wweek. Never 2 days in a row.
In a 2 or 3 day a week gym routine, do the big compound lifts every session

Shoulders - standing overhead press is imo, the best exercise or variations, like Arnold press, z press , seated press, or if you have shoulder mobility then maybe landmine press.

Back- pull ups , rows (barbell or dumbell) , dead lifts (trap bar if you're worried about form )

Legs. Barbell Squats, Barbell backward lunge , Bulgarian squats.

Chest, bench press (either barbell or dumbell)

I love to start or finish with farmers walks.

This is really all you need to do. One from each group, each time you go. Concentrating on form and full range of motion, with a good slow tempo, like 422, (4 secs on the negative, 2 secs on hold and 2 secs on the positive)

Check videos on you tube regularly to make sure you're doing things correctly.

Free weights over machines , depending what's at your gym, but if you're more comfortable on machines, then start with them, but you should always be trying to do dead lifts and squats , 2 of the best exercises for your body telling you you need to put on muscle, and therefore inc metabolism.

As mentioned, your body , imo, quickly adapts to rep ranges.
At most rep ranges I use 422, 4 secs on the negative, 2 on the hold and 2 on the positive.

I agree , slower on the eccentric phase
And I nearly always use a slight incline.
Think it develops a better looking chest , and easier to keep form and keep your scapula retracted
Solid post. I agree about the training splits. I do a 4 day split because I know that I can definitely commit to that over 7 days. It allows for enough flexibility that I can move workouts around if other things interfere, plenty of recovery time and if I’m feeling good and all goes well, I can squeeze an extra workout in at the weekend. I tend to find that the more days you have on your plan, it just means realistically, you’re going to end missing workouts at some point, because we’re not full time bodybuilders and even with the best motivation in the world, shit happens which will stop you getting to the gym. That’s how life works.

Also agree about inclines for bench. I get much more out of doing incline than flat bench.
You would think that would be the case, but the moment I got down to the weight point where I was getting low enough I could do mammoth sets and 5x5 at that weight didn’t even make me feel challenged at all (like I wouldn’t actually need any rest time between even sets), but as soon as I put the weight up, even by 2.5kg I was struggling for depth again. It was most likely a technique issue (or psychological) but since I switched my weight has progressed significantly whilst my form hasn’t suffered.
It’s likely psychological. I’ve encountered this before. Look to do a couple of extra reps and/or pauses at the weight you’re currently more comfortable at, and then you should blast through it pretty quickly. Doing a partial(s) at the heavier weight won’t really do you any harm either as long as it’s controlled and you know it’s not a weight which is going to completely crush you, it’s anathema in general gym culture to say this, but there’s a reason Olympic weightlifters do them. It gets you accustomed to the feel of heavier weights physically and psychologically.

Last edited:
Strange that!
BTW, weights can always make you feel challenged , you can do them really really slowly !
Sometimes I do that , especially now I'll be gymming it at home, so have less weights. I can do a 5x5 on the same weight as 3x10!
Take about 20 seconds on a push up or 1 leg squat, it's f***ing hard!
I like to do this once in a blue moon.
Been thinking about this mick!
It seems that you struggle at the bottom of the squat when you're squatting, but find the top bit easy, so don't feel challenged.
To make the top bit harder, not sure if you're gym has chains, or put resistance bands on.
This fella explains it all in the first 90 seconds and shows you how to do it.

Suppose the other option would be partial reps, so do the weight you can do a full range of motion in, and do them from the ground, to half way up.
Then do a heavier weight for top part, perhaps box squats?
Box squats are great for improving form.

Last edited:
Out of interest, I've shifted from 5x5 to this routine every other day:

Day 1

3x8 pullups
3x25 pushups
3x15 back squats
5x10 bench press
5x12 barbell row
4x8 bench fly
3x12 reverse grip barbell row
4x8 incline dumbbell bench press
5x15 barbell shrugs

Day 2

3x12 dips
3x15 front squats
3x10 overhead press
4x10 deadlifts
3x12 bicep curl
3x12 lying triceps extension
3x12 shoulder press
3x10 barbell curl
3x12 triceps extension

And then each session either increase the weight or reps of everything, even by a tiny bit so always increasing.

There anything obviously wrong with this?

Day 1

3x8 pullups
3x25 pushups
3x15 back squats
5x10 bench press
5x12 barbell row
4x8 bench fly
5x15 barbell shrugs

Day 2

3x12 dips
3x15 front squats
3x10 overhead press
4x10 deadlifts
3x12 bicep curl
3x12 shoulder press
3x10 barbell curl
3x12 triceps extension

And then each session either increase the weight or reps of everything, even by a tiny bit so always increasing.

Are you doing 2 sessions a week or doing them more than once each?

I do one every other day so Day 1, rest, Day 2 rest, Day 1 etc.

I would split it up in to - Push - Pull - Legs, and start with your heavier exercises.
Just so you're getting the maximum benefit from each exercise, hitting the harder ones when you have the most energy, and making sure you're getting enough out of each without having to hold back.

Personally, I would have less sets in total on those days as well as I think it becomes hard to push yourself enough on each set. I usually like the last set of an exercise to be a drop set or just to failure to make sure the work's been done.

My routine at the minute is

Push (5-8 rep range)
Pull (5-8 rep range)
Legs
Push (8-10)
Pull (8-10)

Set range differs, I think it's just what you feel you need to feel like you've got what you want from that particular exercise

Day 1

3x8 pullups
3x25 pushups
3x15 back squats
5x10 bench press
5x12 barbell row
4x8 bench fly
5x15 barbell shrugs

Day 2

3x12 dips
3x15 front squats
3x10 overhead press
4x10 deadlifts
3x12 bicep curl
3x12 shoulder press
3x10 barbell curl
3x12 triceps extension

How long are you in the gym for????

I only have time for 3 or 4 exercises in a 45-60 minute session.

Usually something like:

Day 1:
Bench 5x5
Pull-ups 3x10
Deadlift 1x5

Day 2:
OHP/shoulder press machine 5x5
Chin-ups 3x10
Single leg barbell lunges 3x8

If I have time I ponse around with some dumb-bells.

We are back next week :cool:

the home dumbells have served me well though,

how has everyone been managing?
Alright to be honest but not my usual routine. Been doing a few crossfit type workouts as i have a heavy cast iron barbell, been doing AMRAPs whilst running 5 mile every other day. Done nowt today for the first time in ages feel goosed.

Alright to be honest but not my usual routine. Been doing a few crossfit type workouts as i have a heavy cast iron barbell, been doing AMRAPs whilst running 5 mile every other day. Done nowt today for the first time in ages feel goosed.
How heavy are the weights you've been using?.

Day 1

3x8 pullups
3x25 pushups
3x15 back squats
5x10 bench press
5x12 barbell row
4x8 bench fly
5x15 barbell shrugs

Day 2

3x12 dips
3x15 front squats
3x10 overhead press
4x10 deadlifts
3x12 bicep curl
3x12 shoulder press
3x10 barbell curl
3x12 triceps extension

I think that's fine.
I personally prefer to do equal stuff every workout , I see you do mainly chest/back in routine 1 and shoulders and a lot of arms in 2.

There's nothing wrong doing what you're doing.
I think you'd get better results making each routine more equal

So take push ups or bench press out of 1 into 2.
Take a row or pull ups out of 1 into 2
Add Shoulder press into 1

Then take one of bi and tri from 2 into 1.
I would split it up in to - Push - Pull - Legs, and start with your heavier exercises.
Just so you're getting the maximum benefit from each exercise, hitting the harder ones when you have the most energy, and making sure you're getting enough out of each without having to hold back.

Personally, I would have less sets in total on those days as well as I think it becomes hard to push yourself enough on each set. I usually like the last set of an exercise to be a drop set or just to failure to make sure the work's been done.

My routine at the minute is

Push (5-8 rep range)
Pull (5-8 rep range)
Legs
Push (8-10)
Pull (8-10)

Set range differs, I think it's just what you feel you need to feel like you've got what you want from that particular exercise
I much prefer all over 3x a week then push pull legs, push pull legs, but each to his own.

I'm actually doing push /pull atm in the garage atm for a change and it works better with my garage gym (have no weights, just trx/bands and pull up/dip bsr) and can't wait to get back to all over body in the gym. At my age I like to do lots of mobility stuff on the days in-between which I find I can do best with this workout, and I definitely see more muscle/strength growth
How long are you in the gym for????

I only have time for 3 or 4 exercises in a 45-60 minute session.

Usually something like:

Day 1:
Bench 5x5
Pull-ups 3x10
Deadlift 1x5

Day 2:
OHP/shoulder press machine 5x5
Chin-ups 3x10
Single leg barbell lunges 3x8

If I have time I ponse around with some dumb-bells.
Steve , good workout but even with 3 min rests, the first workout has 27 mins of resting and no way 20 mins of pushing weights , unless you're going super slow!
If you've been going to the gym a bit, I'd certainly be increasing dead lifts from 1x5 to 3 or 5 sets.
I think you could add shoulder press in routine 1 and incline chest in 2 and you would be no where near over training
I assume these 2 workouts aren't on subsequent days?

Day 1

3x8 pullups
3x25 pushups
3x15 back squats
5x10 bench press
5x12 barbell row
4x8 bench fly
5x15 barbell shrugs

Day 2

3x12 dips
3x15 front squats
3x10 overhead press
4x10 deadlifts
3x12 bicep curl
3x12 shoulder press
3x10 barbell curl
3x12 triceps extension

I think you'll see a difference after shifting from 5x5.
It will definitely be worth going back to 5x5 in a few months though.

Last edited:
Steve , good workout but even with 3 min rests, the first workout has 27 mins of resting and no way 20 mins of pushing weights , unless you're going super slow!
If you've been going to the gym a bit, I'd certainly be increasing dead lifts from 1x5 to 3 or 5 sets.
I think you could add shoulder press in routine 1 and incline chest in 2 and you would be no where near over training
I assume these 2 workouts aren't on subsequent days?

I think you'll see a difference after shifting from 5x5.
It will definitely be worth going back to 5x5 in a few months though.
Alternate days. I like resting a lot, it’s where gainz are made and it gives the women in the gym an opportunity to admire me.

Alternate days. I like resting a lot, it’s where gainz are made and it gives the women in the gym an opportunity to admire me.
That's same as me ! I really like my rest days (but like I said I generally use these for mobility/stretching)
I think you could and should add where I said then marra.
If you're like me , I sometimes miss days, that's why splits and stuff never worked as well for me, as I may do say your workout 1, then rest then the next day something comes up and I can't get to the gym , or I may go out boozing and miss the day after too as I'm hungover, then thats 5 days without shoulders or back or chest.
But then you may be more consistent than me!

Even on a 8 sec rep though, which most of us do it far faster , you are doing weights for less than 10 mins a day, not sure what your rest is Inbetween, I usually change mine intermittently from anywhere from 30 secs to 2.5 mins max, so your workouts atm will be far less than 30 mins.
You'll easily get shoulder in 1 and chest in 2.
I think you're talking and goggling at the lasses too much if you say your workout lasts for 45 to 60 mins!

Last edited:

Back