Gym rant - Condescending “PT”s

There's one in my local that looks like a fat slob. You'd be forgiven for thinking he'd shat himself and the staff gave him the uniform as something clean to wear.

Other than maybe correcting your form - which is hard to judge on your own, even if you know what you should be doing - there's not much you can't find out on the internet, programs, diets etc.

The one I had for a very short while - tbf he gave me pointers on form building my core, which have helped - tried to give very vague nutritional advice which just boiled down to him listing various in-vogue foods, misspelled. No suggestions of how many calories, macros, anything.

Joined David Lloyd’s last week and was told you get 4 free PT sessions. I then found out it’s actually 4 30min introductory sessions after I’d booked in for tonight.

conversation went like this:
PT: what do you want to get out of these sessions

Me: I’ve been doing the Stronglifts program for the last 10 months or so in my garage, and now I’ve joined a proper gym I’m looking for something to do in an extra session or 2 on top of my compound lifts. I like the look of the Synrgy equipment but the times of the classes don’t really suit me.

PT: What are your aims? Bulk up? Get more toned?

Me: I’ve been looking to get back down to 14 stone - I’ve lost a stone already and about another to go.

PT: You need to be doing cardio then.

Me: I’m really more interested in “functional” type exercises, like with the Synrgy equipment.

I’ve come away with a 100% cardio programme and asked to book in with her again in 10 days time. I think I’ll book my son into the 11AM kids class a week on Saturday, book into a Synrgy class and jack in the sessions.
Is she a wad?

I find that the PTs are not that good tbh, they’ve done a bit course but I see them on their phones when in a PT session (not all mind)

I found that online ones are good, Mike Thurston in particular, sets you up meal plans, videos, workouts and you can email or chat with him.

I just find the gym PTs lack a bit of knowledge and don’t look all that great themselves

I’m now a bit embarrassed about this thread because the trainer in question is my usual HIIT circuits instructor and she’s great at that.

It also makes it a bit baffling that she wouldn’t show me any HIIT exercises as part of this induction.

They are almost certainly using a set script for these and I doubt the instructor has the authority to include HIIT. You say they are intruductory sessions, these will clearly be aimed at newbies, and it would not be sensible to get them doing HIIT from the off. Would not be the first time a membership salesman has offered X number of "personal training" sessions, when they clearly are not.

Back