Gym nuggets

There was a bloke who used to go to x4l who clearly used to train as he was big but not in good shape and all he used to do was give unsolicited advice to people. He never approached me but I always used to think what a twat. Just get on with your own training man. I then saw him at jd one Saturday and I could see him just looking around shaking his head at folk training as if he disapproved of what they were doing . They reckon every gym has one knob who tries to impose their knowledge be it right or wrong and this bloke is definitely one of them.
Bloke in his 50’s (I’m not good at guessing ages mind), always chewing, only ever trains back?

Bloke in his 50’s (I’m not good at guessing ages mind), always chewing, only ever trains back?
Could be mate - he’s got a bit of a
Southern accent if that helps. I’m sure he got barred out of x4l and I haven’t seen him in jd for ages either

Ah no, this fella is from Sunderland.
There’s obviously a few of these types about! Your initial description matched him though mate. Clearly seem like the older failed bodybuilder / aged bitter doorman who don’t like seeing the young lads in better nick than them (not that I include myself in that category I’m just observant 😂😂)

Thankfully my main gym has a low amount of bellend in this respect. Anyone with bad gym etiquette is usually self policed. My other gym I do some sessions at is full of bellends. People who aren't by any means new to the gym, but will come and take/put plates on the rack you're using mid set, or walk right in front of your face mid set of squats or deadlifts, despite there being no logical explanation. I usually just tell these people why they shouldn't do whatever they're doing if it's directly effecting my set/session), because I'd like to think it isn't intentional bellend behaviour.
This happens all the time when I go to Pure Gym and it really grinds my gears. It happened the other night when I was in the middle of a set and was made all the worse by the fact I go at eleven o clock at night when the gym is largely empty.

The other things that annoy me in there are people constantly on their phones and surprisingly, considering I’m not remotely against powerlifting or the big compound lifts, the amount of douchebags doing deadlifts and squats and going for one rep maxes. It’s the latest fad. Mainly because these people are never going to compete in powerlifting, and it just strikes me as a really inefficient form of training. What are they trying to achieve? The odds are against achieving any kind of significant hypertrophy by just doing a single rep, and they’re not going to get stronger either because there’s evidently no structure or plan. It’s just vaguely annoying to see.

This happens all the time when I go to Pure Gym and it really grinds my gears. It happened the other night when I was in the middle of a set and was made all the worse by the fact I go at eleven o clock at night when the gym is largely empty.

The other things that annoy me in there are people constantly on their phones and surprisingly, considering I’m not remotely against powerlifting or the big compound lifts, the amount of douchebags doing deadlifts and squats and going for one rep maxes. It’s the latest fad. Mainly because these people are never going to compete in powerlifting, and it just strikes me as a really inefficient form of training. What are they trying to achieve? The odds are against achieving any kind of significant hypertrophy by just doing a single rep, and they’re not going to get stronger either because there’s evidently no structure or plan. It’s just vaguely annoying to see.
The ones who do one deadlift rep, grunt, then drop the bar onto the floor - :evil:

At the budget gym that I attend there are quite a few people who prance around full flow in phone conversations.

One word... Instagram.

Let them continue their concord speed flight to snap city.

The ones who do one deadlift rep, grunt, then drop the bar onto the floor - :evil:

At the budget gym that I attend there are quite a few people who prance around full flow in phone conversations.
This to me is the height of pointlessness. I’ve always found with really big muscle groups like the legs and back, if you want to get jacked which I presume most people do, then the more reps and volume the better. Thus, you’ll actually get better results by decreasing the weight. If you want to train to compete in powerlifting do something like Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 where he advocates doing a 1 rep max every 3 weeks, not every frigging workout.

A single ridiculously heavy deadlift is just going to have a higher chance of injury, and if you don’t even do the eccentric phase of the lift you’re going to achieve absolutely nothing in the way of building muscle. This is also the reason you can practically count the number of Olympic Lifters who have ridiculously muscular physiques on one hand. The ones who do — see some Chinese weightlifters or Dmitry Klokov — do some additional ‘bodybuilder style’ work i.e doing lifts through a full range of motion (concentric and eccentric) for 8-12+ reps.

Tits who shave their chest hair in the showers. The dick even shaved his arms. No running water. Finished and left. Promptly told him it was disgusting and unhygienic. Ignore me, walked off and swiftly reported. Hate dirty gym bassas

This to me is the height of pointlessness. I’ve always found with really big muscle groups like the legs and back, if you want to get jacked which I presume most people do, then the more reps and volume the better. Thus, you’ll actually get better results by decreasing the weight. If you want to train to compete in powerlifting do something like Jim Wendler’s 5/3/1 where he advocates doing a 1 rep max every 3 weeks, not every frigging workout.

A single ridiculously heavy deadlift is just going to have a higher chance of injury, and if you don’t even do the eccentric phase of the lift you’re going to achieve absolutely nothing in the way of building muscle. This is also the reason you can practically count the number of Olympic Lifters who have ridiculously muscular physiques on one hand. The ones who do — see some Chinese weightlifters or Dmitry Klokov — do some additional ‘bodybuilder style’ work i.e doing lifts through a full range of motion (concentric and eccentric) for 8-12+ reps.
I just do 5x5 compound lifts with 1x5 deadlifts but I concentrate on maintaining good form.

There are a lot of people who do half reps on the bench.

Also I don’t see the point of lifters getting a mate to help them squeeze out more reps on the static machines. I would lower the weight and do it through the full range of motion, like you said, a lot of gym users are going for egotistical reasons.

Even 5/3/1 doesn't have you do a 1RM. Fuck, even Bulgarian methods don't have you do 1RMs. But as you say there's people who go in there and will do max and even above max (spotters and failed reps etc) almost every f***ing session.

Even lifters working up to a daily max, will be nowhere near a true max.

Yup. Plus much better range of motion and overall form.
I just do 5x5 compound lifts with 1x5 deadlifts but I concentrate on maintaining good form.

There are a lot of people who do half reps on the bench.

Also I don’t see the point of lifters getting a mate to help them squeeze out more reps on the static machines. I would lower the weight and do it through the full range of motion, like you said, a lot of gym users are going for egotistical reasons.
Yeah in some training groups it looks more like somebody is deadlifting rather than spotting their mates bench press.

Last edited:

Mainly the Pure Gym staff doing this

Back