Gym nuggets

Some moron has just been doing snatches for half an hour, with 5 plates either side of him acting as a platform. They're the 20 plates that people use all the time.

You’re right, it’s nothing but laziness and arrogance in some cases. I’ve been asked by females on more than one occasion to take 25 plates off a barbell in a squat rack or a leg press because they simply can’t lift them. If you’re able to load a barbell or a machine with 25 plates you should show a little common sense and realise that some people aren’t able to remove them.

I can’t be arsed with confrontation that’s why I took the route of emailing the manager. I’m sure when I used to go to Pure they threatened to cancel memberships of repeat offenders.
I don't know the name of it :lol: but the angled bar that fits into a pivot bracket that people squat over and lift for back exercises; a few times I've been over to use it and it's got about 150kg on it and I've struggled like buggery to get all the plates off. Hugely irritating.

Two things that used to grind my gears were (mainly) women reading magazines while ambling on the treadmills and those with a cloud of perfume round them choking everyone else in the gym.
Some bloke had an overpowering fake Creed on recently and it was making me feel properly sick. Why wear scents for the gym? Weird.
T bar for bent over rows
That's the one.
Not much really pisses me off apart from the people mentioned who will put their bag / coat on or near a piece of equipment and then go chat to someone doing something else - but rush back over to say they're on the kit if you go on it.

There's a bloke at Puregym who does it all of the time. You know who you are !!!
Two older blokes in Pure get me. If you're on a machine they'll just hover behind you without asking how many sets you've got left making you feel uncomfortable and like you have to rush through just to appease them. One of them dropped a bar near me once as well and nearly caved my skull in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the name of it :lol: but the angled bar that fits into a pivot bracket that people squat over and lift for back exercises; a few times I've been over to use it and it's got about 150kg on it and I've struggled like buggery to get all the plates off. Hugely irritating.
Funny you should mention that. I was in about 4pm and went to the deadlift platform next to it. It had about 4 bumper plates on it. Now, I may be wrong here, but I assumed the bumper plates are for the deadlift station only. I’ve certainly never seen them on the T-bar. The hex bar was also right next to it with 4 plates on it. That pissed me off straight away but I managed to do what I needed without having to take any of the plates off. Then a lad came over and asked if I was using either, to which I replied no. He then started taking the plates off the T-bar but was struggling like fuck cos he was about 9st wet through. So ended up helping him.
f***ing lazy twats.

Last edited:
Funny you should mention that. I was in about 4pm and went to the deadlift platform next to it. It had about 4 bumper plates on it. Now, I may be wrong here, but I assumed the bumper plates are for the deadlift station only. I’ve certainly never seen them on the T-bar. The hex bar was also right next to it with 4 plates on it. That pissed me off straight away but I managed to do what I needed without having to take any of the plates off. Then a lad came over and asked if I was using either, to which I replied no. He then started taking the plates off the T-bar but was struggling like fuck cos he was about 9st wet through. So ended up helping him.
f***ing lazy twats.
I've probably elicited similar feelings of pity, yet no one has ever helped me when I was in need. :lol:

The worst people are the ones who act the hero on social media pretending to fight fatshamers in a gym, when infact they are the biggest fatshamers going behind closed doors.

Bloke in the gym this morning wearing blue latex gloves. That’s taking Coronavirus prevention a bit far (and will surely be bad for his grip?)

Bloke in the gym this morning wearing blue latex gloves. That’s taking Coronavirus prevention a bit far (and will surely be bad for his grip?)
My gym has advised people to bring hand sanitiser with them if possible, to stay away if they are feeling unwell and to keep at least 1m away from people. Not sure how it will work like with all the group sessions they do and how close all the machines are to each other.

Bottles of dettol and paper towels all over the shop in Pure Gym at the moment. Definitely a big drop in number of gym goers too.

I would imagine gyms are going to be a place to avoid in a week or two

Mine was pretty much empty today bar the usual hardcore who are there every day
I was at mine today but I think I'm going to give it a miss for a while. As far as I could see I was the only person in there using the roll and spray. Not worth the risk with my dad recovering from a heart attack currently.

I was at mine today but I think I'm going to give it a miss for a while. As far as I could see I was the only person in there using the roll and spray. Not worth the risk with my dad recovering from a heart attack currently.

This is my concern. Not fussed about myself, I'll be fine but relatives and friends won't be. I work retail, so I'll be at more risk than others anyway so I think I'm gonna request advice from one of the staff and just can it off and focus on diet for the foreseeable. No point in me increasing the already serious risk.

There was a bloke who used to go to x4l who clearly used to train as he was big but not in good shape and all he used to do was give unsolicited advice to people. He never approached me but I always used to think what a twat. Just get on with your own training man. I then saw him at jd one Saturday and I could see him just looking around shaking his head at folk training as if he disapproved of what they were doing . They reckon every gym has one knob who tries to impose their knowledge be it right or wrong and this bloke is definitely one of them.

Back