Gym Equipment at home

Keawyeds

Striker
I know what you're going to say "Just go for a run". Well, I would, but it's not always that simple.
New puppy, a 4 year old, working from home, Mrs K out by 6:30am for work - LIFE! It gets a bit complicated.

I had been to the gym earlier this year, ironically that's where I picked up Covid. Charming.

Anyway I'm thinking that it'll be easier to power away for 15 minutes (or more) when I (or Mrs K) can fit it in and still be on site as it were to manage potential issues!

I was looking at RingFit for the Switch rather than potentially getting some kind of exercise equipment but I'm not sure.
I'll have a go on almost anything at the gym, but if it's good for cardio and helps shift the timber I'm keen to hear suggestions. Mrs K doesn't like cross-trainers. I think it's an inner-ear thing, but other than that I think suggestions are welcome!

What do you have, if anything?

Depends what you're trying to achieve but you probably don't need a load of equipment. I was doing circuit type workouts during lockdown; you could start with just bodyweight exercises (squats, lunges, press ups, burpees etc) then add in some weights.

Depends what you're trying to achieve but you probably don't need a load of equipment. I was doing circuit type workouts during lockdown; you could start with just bodyweight exercises (squats, lunges, press ups, burpees etc) then add in some weights.

Not a bad shout. Need to clear a space to do it I think. I think I like a machine because it tells me a result although realistically I should be able to see it for myself in time

We are the same, both used to go to the gym every day (she did CrossFit), but since having the bairn and changing jobs we simply don’t have the time or the disposable income to justify gym membership right now. Im going to clear our garage out and try do some circuits in that space and over time maybe add a exercise bike, pull up bar, free weights to the space.

Not a bad shout. Need to clear a space to do it I think. I think I like a machine because it tells me a result although realistically I should be able to see it for myself in time
If you do a circuit you can see progress in the number of reps you can manage or the number of times you can go round the circuit or the weight you're using if you add them in.

A few of my mates have bought rowers, treadmills, bikes etc and without fail they've all ended up as expensive clothes horses.
You can get suspension trainers and resistance bands cheaply, you'll get a good workout and they take up no space.
Or kettlebells. You can get an excellent workout in less than 15 minutes

Strength exercises are good but will do less for your cardio fitness. You could take your 4 year old out on bikes on a weekend? If you work from home it would actually do your puppy good to begin to be left for short periods and I'd strongly suggest starting doing this anyway if you not already .Re equipment, the hardest workout I find at the gym is the rowing machine (if you do it properly) so much so that I avoid it 🤣. However if you do go for cardio equipment you need to spend decent money for it to be any good in my opinion.
Good luck by the way.

I have a squat rack, bench, deadlift matting, Texas power bar and a safety bar, as well as weights. Probably cost me a couple of grand all told.

You’d be surprised at what you can achieve cardio wise with free weights as well.

I know what you're going to say "Just go for a run". Well, I would, but it's not always that simple.
New puppy, a 4 year old, working from home, Mrs K out by 6:30am for work - LIFE! It gets a bit complicated.

I had been to the gym earlier this year, ironically that's where I picked up Covid. Charming.

Anyway I'm thinking that it'll be easier to power away for 15 minutes (or more) when I (or Mrs K) can fit it in and still be on site as it were to manage potential issues!

I was looking at RingFit for the Switch rather than potentially getting some kind of exercise equipment but I'm not sure.
I'll have a go on almost anything at the gym, but if it's good for cardio and helps shift the timber I'm keen to hear suggestions. Mrs K doesn't like cross-trainers. I think it's an inner-ear thing, but other than that I think suggestions are welcome!

Bought a rowing machine. Barely used it. Gave it away.

Rowing machine. JTX Ignite Air. Love mine.

Last edited:
Use my stuff all the time.

My pride and joy is the Rogue Echo bike, it’s a rancid bit of kit.

If you’re just trying to get back into it I’d start with some adjustable weight dumbbells and mix in some body weight stuff too

If the primary goal is shifting some timber, that's done in the kitchen. You can't out-train a bad diet. If you're short of time & space you could maybe do a HIIT bodyweight circuit?

My mate who takes boxing quite seriously swears this on the oculus.

he is super fit, runs marathons and trains for them uber long runs. He is paggered after playing thrill of the fight.

Last edited:
I think I'd rather have a punch bag and a picture of Boris Johnson
That would definitely work. You could mix it up and have Boris one day, mogg/gove the next etc

Boxing bags are great, the don't take up a lot of room and are excellent for exercise. I would say the same for a weight bench but the price of dumbbells is insane at the minute and makes mixing it up costly.

Back