Gyan

They wanted rid. He was being a bad influence and came back that season looking like he didn't give 2 fucks and unfit. Quinny asked about to gauge reaction if he let him go and they said they wouldn't give 2 fucks with the state he was in at the time and playing like shite. So he let him go.

Didnt he promise the Foundation a shit load of cash and then never donate?

Yes . He did though...right?

Asomoah Grant has announced his retirement from football, he'll be able to sit and count all his money now, the greedy bastard. Was all about the dosh for him which is a shame, he could have been a legend for us

Like many players just wanted to use Sunderland as a shop window and take the money. They fell into two camps.
1. Shit and sat tight and took money
2. Great and jumped at first chance of a better offer

Would not swop any of them for the current squad

I’m not sure who’s telling the truth on this one. Remember some quotes from Quinn that Gyan had been unsettled all summer, they thought they’d got him to stay, then the day after our window closed Gyan turned up at the training ground with his agent and a couple of Arabs (or awabs) wanting to push the deal through there and then.

The strange thing was, the night before Gyan was tweeting how he was looking forward to playing with bentdner who we’d just signed on loan. I suspect all parties just saw the money and then it’s been a case of finger pointing and saving face.

Didn't Quinn say the same about Bent and Fenebache?

Quinn also kept bemoaning the money we lost out on when we eventually sold Phillips and how we wouldn't do it again. I would imagine Gyan and Bent were probably happy to leave because of the amounts on offer, but I think in both cases we were quite happy to give them a helping hand on their way for various reasons.

Didn't Quinn say the same about Bent and Fenebache?

Quinn also kept bemoaning the money we lost out on when we eventually sold Phillips and how we wouldn't do it again. I would imagine Gyan and Bent were probably happy to leave because of the amounts on offer, but I think in both cases we were quite happy to give them a helping hand on their way for various reasons.

Quinny was deffo the one to push through the deal. As you said there was interest over the summer but nothing happened and Gyan was apparently being a distraction and looking like he didn't give a fuck (we all remember how unfit he looked and was playing bad) and then they came back in again. Quinny gauged the reaction of some of his footballing friends (this is how I know) and they said they would be happy to see him go as it looked like he didn't want to be here.

^ that's from someone very close to him and a business partner of his.

Should have had loyalty to our fan base who had loved him for sbout 14 months. Folk who stay loyal to us like honeyman and Catts become legends and always get our backing

We were paying him 30k a week = £4.7m total. Minus tax = £2.6m in 3 years. Compare this to £200k a week tax free for 3 years = 31m. So you are saying he should give up £28m for 'loyalty' and become a catts

Back