Gutted

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

APB

Managed to pick up a scratch on my Canon G11's lens when we were in Thailand, cost a bloody fortune to replace the lens alone, Wouldn't care but the scratch is tiny and you only really notice it in direct sun light.

Still here's a few pics I thought I'd share, not really set up fantabulous photos or owt, just a few on the move :lol:

http://img141.imageshack.us/g/16368410150110483415656.jpg/

On a different note, anyone got any experience with similar cameras? Pana LX5 etc? Cheers

Why worry then? Scratches are a much overrated hazard to a performance of a lens. Smudges are far more potent

As you say, the only visible effects are usually more flare when shooting into the sun

Why worry then? Scratches are a much overrated hazard to a performance of a lens. Smudges are far more potent

As you say, the only visible effects are usually more flare when shooting into the sun

Exactly - in most cases you won't notice any effect. In theory you could get more flare shooting into the sun but you're probably going to get some anyway, so I wouldn't worry about a bit more! I have an old (40 years old) lens which has fungus growing in it (not a lot, admittedly) and it still produces great images. Theoretically a little less contrasty than they should be, but I'd challenge anyone to notice. Unless you have an ultra-short focal length, all the blemishes in the lens are totally out of focus. Some old lenses even have bubbles in the glass, and they have almost no effect either. Think of your scratch as a benefit: you'll be less bothered about getting the lens scratched now it's already got one!

Exactly - in most cases you won't notice any effect. In theory you could get more flare shooting into the sun but you're probably going to get some anyway, so I wouldn't worry about a bit more! I have an old (40 years old) lens which has fungus growing in it (not a lot, admittedly) and it still produces great images. Theoretically a little less contrasty than they should be, but I'd challenge anyone to notice. Unless you have an ultra-short focal length, all the blemishes in the lens are totally out of focus. Some old lenses even have bubbles in the glass, and they have almost no effect either. Think of your scratch as a benefit: you'll be less bothered about getting the lens scratched now it's already got one!

Yep. My workhorse camera is a mess. The lens ain't scratched but I regularly use filters that are. Still produces sharp images as the lens is good quality to begin with

Kinell.... If I can't convince you's I've got nee chance of convincing the wife to let me buy a new camera! :lol:

I read some article where someone trashed a lens and used it to take pics through various degrees of damage - it was surprising how much damage you can get away with.

Dropped one of my (Hasselblad, no less) lenses a couple of years back and there's a hairline crack in one of the elements. Was gutted at the time but I've put hundreds of rolls through it since and no sign of any damage whatsoever.

I badly scratched the rear glass on a 18-200 lens (stone in the camera bag) and thought it was ruined. Used it since, and while the auto focus hunts a bit more than it used to, it's otherwise fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back