Guitarists and arthritis

Dave Herbal

Striker
Have any of the major players had to pack it in due to arthritis? All the greats seem to be able to play into their 70s. What’s their secret?

I was messing about with the bairn’s guitar the other day and I couldn’t even hold the neck properly, let along press on the strings.

You were just taking the piss out of one of the best guitarists on here me, so stick your thread up your arse you have got no chance sorry mate your attitude is all wrong. Have you ever thought about learning how to make Christmas cards I’ve heard that’s easy..

Have any of the major players had to pack it in due to arthritis? All the greats seem to be able to play into their 70s. What’s their secret?

I was messing about with the bairn’s guitar the other day and I couldn’t even hold the neck properly, let along press on the strings.
Choke the chicken more to strengthen thy grip.

My mate is one of the best musicians I've ever seen but chose to do it for fun rather than seriously. 24, but has suffered tendonitis as a result of strenuous guitar playing since around 17. Shame as well as he's f***ing incredible and he's produced a couple of songs I've written beyond anything I would ever be capable of.

I should imagine that after a lifetime of dedication, practice and repeated movements, a great guitarists hands and fingers are strong, fast and nimble.

This might lessen the risk of arthritis.

(This is my hypothesis. I welcome informed opinion from someone with greater medical or guitar playing expertise if that gets us closer to the truth.)

Last edited:
like Keef they cheat and detune to open g or smething
Keith was doing that back in the 60s man.

He has some form of arthritis I think - his knuckles have taken on a life of their own.

Logon or register to see this image

I don't think they're swollen - I'm sure I read it's actually bone growth.
I should imagine that after a lifetime of dedication, practice and repeated movements, a great guitarists hands and fingers are strong, fast and nimble.

This might lessen the risk of arthritis.

(This is my hypothesis. I welcome informed opinion from someone with greater medical or guitar playing expertise if that gets us closer to the truth.)

I think the old adage use it or lose it is appropriate here.

Last edited:
Nah, I'm alright so far into my callow 3-0.

We should upload our fingertips on here for callus-comparison.
Arthritis would be a pain, like.

Last edited:
Don’t know about arthritis but quite a few of the first generation of rock guitarists are less dexterous these days through various health issues or just age. Clapton and Knopfler are both pretty limited these days, Frampton has had to pack in. Blackmore is nowhere near what he was. Having said that they all seem to get to their 60s with no drop off in ability.

My mate is one of the best musicians I've ever seen but chose to do it for fun rather than seriously. 24, but has suffered tendonitis as a result of strenuous guitar playing since around 17. Shame as well as he's f***ing incredible and he's produced a couple of songs I've written beyond anything I would ever be capable of.
If he’s got tendonitis at 24 he was doing something wrong or more likely he’s been unlucky. You don’t get it by playing too much.

Not arthritis but Alex Lifeson (Rush) has psoriasis and that causes him problems.

Well, they've wrapped in now so not as big a problem now I imagine!

Back