Guitar Advice

Flip

Winger
Hi firstly I'm shite on guitar but make up for it with my enthusiasm - much like my love making.

I'm looking for the following:

Acoustic ~£400
A pedal for my guitar so that I can drop it down to sound like a bass
A reasonable looper pedal

Any thoughts or advice?
Cheers

Hi firstly I'm shite on guitar but make up for it with my enthusiasm - much like my love making.

Acoustic ~£400

Any thoughts or advice?
Cheers
Don't buy a £400 guitar if you're "shite"! You can get very good acoustics at less than half that price, check out the Vintage A300 (I think its called). However, I guess you're looking at an electro acoustic if you're talking pedals and loopers which can still be had at decent prices. Good luck!

Well when I say I'm shite I/ve been playing a couple of years and can play 90% of songs from a rhythm perspective, I have an epiphone J-200 (Jumbo) but its enormous, so was looking for something a bit smaller. Yes its an electro acoustic I'd be looking for.

Ovation. Not a great acoustic sound but top drawer through an amp.

Get the narrow back one so you don’t feel like you’re hugging a fat bird when you try to play it.

Well when I say I'm shite I/ve been playing a couple of years and can play 90% of songs from a rhythm perspective, I have an epiphone J-200 (Jumbo) but its enormous, so was looking for something a bit smaller. Yes its an electro acoustic I'd be looking for.
While high end guitar prices have gone up. You can now get more guitar for your buck at the lower end of the market as production techniques have improved remarkably over the last ten years or so. If you're going electro acoustic, then Tanglewood are very good and plentiful on the second hand market too. When buying an acoustic, the most important thing is to try it out in the flesh because I can guarantee you something. You could pay £2,000 for an acoustic and if it has a poor action you won't play it, so please try to avoid mail order if possible as there's much less leeway in making an acoustic playable as opposed to a solid body electric.

Acoustic ~£400

Any thoughts or advice?
Cheers

You’ll get a decent acoustic for a lot cheaper if you look about.

Best guitar advice I can give is get a Bass.
Not much cop at a party or campfire or country pub singalong though are they?
“Hang on till I plug in me amp ... oh we’re out in the country ... anyone got a really long extension? ... ah there we are, now everyone can sing along to this old standard!” [bomp boom boom bomp boom boom bomp boom boom bomp].

Not much cop at a party or campfire or country pub singalong though are they?
“Hang on till I plug in me amp ... oh we’re out in the country ... anyone got a really long extension? ... ah there we are, now everyone can sing along to this old standard!” [bomp boom boom bomp boom boom bomp boom boom bomp].
Its a wonderful instrument :)

Don't buy a £400 guitar if you're "shite"! You can get very good acoustics at less than half that price, check out the Vintage A300 (I think its called). However, I guess you're looking at an electro acoustic if you're talking pedals and loopers which can still be had at decent prices. Good luck!
Indeed, A cheap guitar set up properly possibly with a few mods can be really decent.

While high end guitar prices have gone up. You can now get more guitar for your buck at the lower end of the market as production techniques have improved remarkably over the last ten years or so. If you're going electro acoustic, then Tanglewood are very good and plentiful on the second hand market too. When buying an acoustic, the most important thing is to try it out in the flesh because I can guarantee you something. You could pay £2,000 for an acoustic and if it has a poor action you won't play it, so please try to avoid mail order if possible as there's much less leeway in making an acoustic playable as opposed to a solid body electric.

Yeah for my previous purchases Ive tended to go to Guitar guitar and then try a few out I avoid mail order wherever possible - sound advice

Yeah for my previous purchases Ive tended to go to Guitar guitar and then try a few out I avoid mail order wherever possible - sound advice
Glad to hear that mate. Especially with acoustics, you can get two of the exact same model (even the very expensive ones) and their actions/playability can vary massively because of the very nature of the instrument. And if they're both hanging on the same shop wall, guess which one gets mailed out!

Glad to hear that mate. Especially with acoustics, you can get two of the exact same model (even the very expensive ones) and their actions/playability can vary massively because of the very nature of the instrument. And if they're both hanging on the same shop wall, guess which one gets mailed out!

I have an absolute peach of an epiphone les paul standard and I tried a Gibson les Paul standard (granted I'm hardly pushing them to the limits) but I honestly preferred my Epi.

Cheers everyone for your help - I'll have a look out for Tanglewoods / Yamaha's on the second hand page on facebook - Ta

Back