Guidelines and Protocols

Monkey Hanger

Central Defender
This is one for Admin/Moderators:

Seriously have had enough of racist , homophobic, sexist and Islamaphobic rhetoric on this board.

May I suggest zero tolerance on such?

It is a tricky one though, what is zero tolerance? Clearly the latest "racist" thread shows a wide difference in opinion between what is racist and what isn't and I am sure the moderation team also have differing views on this. What one person sees as racist/sexist etc another person doesn't.

I do actually agree that there is far too much racist , homophobic, sexist and Islamophobic rhetoric on this board. However, whilst I have never claimed the board allows free speech, I do think it is important that these things are discussed here rather than just brushing them under the carpet.

The 'handbags' from the people in both camps is tedious, but I do think we should be aware of each others views whether we agree with them or not. I am probably living in an ivory tower here, but I hope that some people are actually educated from the responses they receive.

This is one for Admin/Moderators:

Seriously have had enough of racist , homophobic, sexist and Islamaphobic rhetoric on this board.

May I suggest zero tolerance on such?

In the case of Islam do you think criticism of all religions should be banned ? I think all religions are perversions of the human mind. Should I not be allowed to say this ?

The 'handbags' from the people in both camps is tedious, but I do think we should be aware of each others views whether we agree with them or not.
This, it just goes round and round in circles and I doubt anybody ever changes their mind.
I would personally ban calling anybody racist as threads get derailed with the 'Islam is not a race' and 'show me an example' nonsense. It achieves nothing. If somebody says something that is out and out racist, report it and let the mods deal with it.
If you feel like you have to challenge something, by all means prove that what they've said is nonsense, but once you put a label like 'racist', 'lefty', 'snowflake' etc on it, you let them off the hook and allow them to argue the label rather than what they've actually said.

It is a tricky one though, what is zero tolerance? Clearly the latest "racist" thread shows a wide difference in opinion between what is racist and what isn't and I am sure the moderation team also have differing views on this. What one person sees as racist/sexist etc another person doesn't.

I do actually agree that there is far too much racist , homophobic, sexist and Islamophobic rhetoric on this board. However, whilst I have never claimed the board allows free speech, I do think it is important that these things are discussed here rather than just brushing them under the carpet.

The 'handbags' from the people in both camps is tedious, but I do think we should be aware of each others views whether we agree with them or not. I am probably living in an ivory tower here, but I hope that some people are actually educated from the responses they receive.
Reported.

This, it just goes round and round in circles and I doubt anybody ever changes their mind.
I would personally ban calling anybody racist as threads get derailed with the 'Islam is not a race' and 'show me an example' nonsense. It achieves nothing. If somebody says something that is out and out racist, report it and let the mods deal with it.
If you feel like you have to challenge something, by all means prove that what they've said is nonsense, but once you put a label like 'racist', 'lefty', 'snowflake' etc on it, you let them off the hook and allow them to argue the label rather than what they've actually said.
I disagree, I think racists such as MBH should be called out as such and there is no need to try to educate them because they will never change. Might as well have fun with their ridiculous views instead.

If you think 'Islam is not a race" is nonsense does that mean that you think it is a race ?

Back