Guardiola pleads with City fans to make some noise

Not sure I agree with the rest of the post but as someone living in Manchester now this is definitely the case imo. I would say 70/30 is probably harsh on united and closer to 80/20 really. I expected more like 50/50 before I moved here based on what I had heard.

It's certainly up nearer your mark if we're talking Greater Manchester I'd say. But even in the city - and I used to live close to what used to be Maine Road - United had more.

It's a cup quarter final. Where are you getting the money for the semi final and final from? What about going to the fa cup final after the semi final the other week? If I was having to give up a match to do the other ones then this is the one I'd pick. It's a quarter final against a side i'll be seeing at the weekend anyway in a competition I have less affinity to than the other ones we are still involved in. This game is the obvious choice tbf. I can watch it on the telly anyway. Some people simply can't afford it all and that is fair enough. We aren't talking small numbers either as it's f***ing expensive unlike our games.

A lesser example is that I had a mint blow out weekend for the checkatrade but will be just going down for the day for the play off final if it comes to it. All down to expense and the novelty of Wembley not being the same.

Think its mad like to suggest you'd pile down to Wembley to see a cup semi versus Brighton rather than a home game in a must-win Champions League quarter-final, but each to their own.

Last edited:
I think that with the quality of footballers they have supporters are just sitting back expecting to win every match. Encouragement is not forthcoming, unless they are up against it. Some off the home matches played by the top six are over by halftime and the atmosphere is much like attending the theatre.

It's certainly up nearer your mark if we're talking Greater Manchester I'd say. But even in the city - and I used to live close to what used to be Maine Road - United had more.

Think its mad like to suggest you'd pile down to Wembley to see a cup semi versus Brighton rather than a home game in a must-win Champions League quarter-final, but each to their own.
Somethings got to give was my point. Some will choose a semi final, some a quarter final.

Plenty didn't choose our semi final against Man Utd over nothing much else which I found more bizarre.

Last edited:
People are missing the point Guardiola is making. He is on about noise levels. No matter how good they do they simply don't have a support with a singing culture like the likes of Man Utd do.

Blows the stupid myth that people from Manchester support City and Utds support is outsiders.

United fans sing loud and clear away from home - but at home they struggle to create an atmosphere - Mourinho constantly complained about this.

A catalan friend of mine went to the Barça game in Old Trafford last week and he said he was very disappointed with the atmosphere - the only ones singing being the Barça fans.

So much for those people who say players aren't affected by the crowd and should be professional enough to just get on with it.

I know- unbelievable- completely gets to the players- hence liverpool doing well in europe and celtic doing better than they should in champs league games(ish).

United fans sing loud and clear away from home - but at home they struggle to create an atmosphere - Mourinho constantly complained about this.

A catalan friend of mine went to the Barça game in Old Trafford last week and he said he was very disappointed with the atmosphere - the only ones singing being the Barça fans.

And Barca fans are known for being quiet.

I know- unbelievable- completely gets to the players- hence liverpool doing well in europe and celtic doing better than they should in champs league games(ish).

Yup, which is what is bizarre about wanting away fans back down close to the pitch to cheer their side on/give our players shit.

Yup, which is what is bizarre about wanting away fans back down close to the pitch to cheer their side on/give our players shit.

Double edged sword- we did our best when aways in the south as the needle between fans created atmos- silence plays into hands of away team-

Double edged sword- we did our best when aways in the south as the needle between fans created atmos- silence plays into hands of away team-

We never lost to the mags as soon as they were shifted.

We also recorded our worst top flight totals with 19 and 15 point with them behind the goal.

Last edited:

That is not the point. And actually I went last night to the Camp Nou and the noise and singing was continuous throughout the 90 minutes. Never heard it so good there. They set up a kind of singing section with drums, a guy with a microphone and flags & tbh it was suite impressive.

That is not the point. And actually I went last night to the Camp Nou and the noise and singing was continuous throughout the 90 minutes. Never heard it so good there. They set up a kind of singing section with drums, a guy with a microphone and flags & tbh it was suite impressive.

It is the point, I'm backing you by saying if Barca fans thought it was poor it must have been dire.

"The players are proud of what they have achieved, but they are human beings. At this stage, without supporters, we cannot go through. We need it. I am interested to see how the supporters can react".

Apparently Pep has concerns about lack of atmosphere, particularly for Champions League games, where ticket sales are down and fans boo the champions league anthem befote kick off.

What's this about? I know a Huddersfield fan who has been to all of the CL games cos his City mate refuses to go and gives him his tickets. He's even going to go to the semi-final away at Ajax assuming they get through.

Back