Guardiola pleads with City fans to make some noise

Is there anything more soul sapping than a debate about"who/what is a big club", number of fans, etc?

Who gives a fuck? It's so subjective to the point of being ridiculous.

What I do know is is that I've had a season ticket uninterrupted for nigh on 30 years and I wouldn't be attending all the matches City have had the last few seasons if it had been us. Simple reasons would be cash and couldn't be arsed with it all. If that would make me a shit fan then I'm a shit fan.

Last edited:
Man City have some really good fans but it looks like winning becomes boring after a while

I wonder if some of them would genuinely quite like to be shite again?

Is there anything more soul sapping than a debate about"who/what is a big club", number of fans, etc?

What I do know is is that I've had a season ticket uninterrupted for nigh on 30 years and I wouldn't be attending all the matches City have had the last few seasons if it had been us. Simple reasons would be cash and couldn't be arsed with it all.
Probably this

What I do know is is that I've had a season ticket uninterrupted for nigh on 30 years and I wouldn't be attending all the matches City have had the last few seasons if it had been us. Simple reasons would be cash and couldn't be arsed with it all. If that would make me a shit fan then I'm a shit fan.

You'd go to this one alright.

You'd go to this one alright.
Would I? Might have used all my money up for the other semi's and finals I'd already been to. Would hate to have to miss out on the semi final or final of the champions league just for a poxy quarter final against an English team we are playing again on Saturday? In an arguably bigger game. There's plenty with worse personal circumstances than mine as well.

Last edited:
So one of the best managers in the game is saying the fans can have an influence on the players.

Can't be true, I heard it on here :rolleyes:

You only have to look at Charlie Wyke's performances away from home when the away end gave him non stop support to realise we can have a huge influence on our final league position.

Those who boo individual players blow my mind. What do they think is going to happen? Our 2 centre halfs suddenly become Vidic and Ferdinand.

Would I? Might have used all my money up for the other semi's and finals I'd already been to. Would hate to have to miss out on the semi final or final of the champions league just for a poxy quarter final against an English team we are playing again on Saturday? In an arguably bigger game. There's plenty with worse personal circumstances than mine as well.

I think you're kidding yourself. They're 1-0 down and one breakaway goal from Spurs and its score 3 or there is no final/semi-final/quadruple. It's that which makes it a much bigger game than the weekend imo.

Also, it's the f***ing Champions League. Sell a couple of your season ticket entitlements to the tourists - there's more than a big enough market for that. You'd find a way. I refuse to accept this deliberately contrarian argument that if it were us - and they're not too distant history comes with as much pain as ours - we'd now be bored of Champions League quarter finals. Bored of the F.A Cup, bored of the League Cup, bored of crunch league games, plausible. But not this.

If you're bored of this, you're bored of football. And I don't think, judging by the fact you're on a Sunderland message board chatting crap about football in the middle of the day, that you would be.

Last edited:
I think you're kidding yourself. They're 1-0 down and one breakaway goal from Spurs and its score 3 or there is no final/semi-final/quadruple. It's that which makes it a much bigger game than the weekend imo.

Also, it's the f***ing Champions League. Sell a couple of your season ticket entitlements to the tourists - there's more than a big enough market for that. You'd find a way. I refuse to accept this deliberately contrarian argument that if it were us - and they're not too distant history comes with as much pain as ours - we'd now be bored of Champions League quarter finals. Bored of the F.A Cup, bored of the League Cup, bored of crunch league games, plausible. But not this.
It's a cup quarter final. Where are you getting the money for the semi final and final from? What about going to the fa cup final after the semi final the other week? If I was having to give up a match to do the other ones then this is the one I'd pick. It's a quarter final against a side i'll be seeing at the weekend anyway in a competition I have less affinity to than the other ones we are still involved in. This game is the obvious choice tbf. I can watch it on the telly anyway. Some people simply can't afford it all and that is fair enough. We aren't talking small numbers either as it's f***ing expensive unlike our games.

A lesser example is that I had a mint blow out weekend for the checkatrade but will be just going down for the day for the play off final if it comes to it. All down to expense and the novelty of Wembley not being the same.

Last edited:

You’re bang on about the debate about who is bigger than who or what defines a club’s size, it’s like playground ‘my dad’s bigger than your dad’ crack mostly and I’m surprised so many give a fuck. I only care about SAFC and couldn’t give a toss how it’s compared in size to other clubs because in my eyes it’ll always be the biggest club to me personally and that’s all that matters.

As for City, it’s become fashionable to knock their support but history shows they’re a well supported club with a good core fan base. Their sudden rise to a serious player on the international stage and dominance domestically has happened so quickly with the money they’ve spent that their fan base hasn’t had the time to swell with the numbers of glory supporters from all over the country and even world that your Man United’s, Arsenal’s and Liverpool’s have over the years, so they have a much smaller pool of fans to rely on attending all these extra matches they’re having to cough up serious dough for whereas the other clubs mentioned would have plenty waiting at the side to take the place of someone who can’t afford it.

You’re bang on about the debate about who is bigger than who or what defines a club’s size, it’s like playground ‘my dad’s bigger than your dad’ crack mostly and I’m surprised so many give a fuck. I only care about SAFC and couldn’t give a toss how it’s compared in size to other clubs because in my eyes it’ll always be the biggest club to me personally and that’s all that matters.

As for City, it’s become fashionable to knock their support but history shows they’re a well supported club with a good core fan base. Their sudden rise to a serious player on the international stage and dominance domestically has happened so quickly with the money they’ve spent that their fan base hasn’t had the time to swell with the numbers of glory supporters from all over the country and even world that your Man United’s, Arsenal’s and Liverpool’s have over the years, so they have a much smaller pool of fans to rely on attending all these extra matches they’re having to cough up serious dough for whereas the other clubs mentioned would have plenty waiting at the side to take the place of someone who can’t afford it.
Agree with all that. The second paragraph is basic common sense really.

Everton definitely bigger.

Would be tempted to say us and the mags are too.

Villa as well. West Ham maybe too.

But that's definitely the group they are in. Can't compare them to likes of United, Liverpool, Spurs even.

People who've lived in Manchester know the locals split there about 70-30 United. Maybe a tad harsh, but not far off.

Yes, but the point surely is that's its absolutely gobsmacking they need to do this to attract people to a European Cup quarter-final?
Not sure I agree with the rest of the post but as someone living in Manchester now this is definitely the case imo. I would say 70/30 is probably harsh on united and closer to 80/20 really. I expected more like 50/50 before I moved here based on what I had heard.

This. Some really strange posts on this thread.

Lived in Manchester in the 90s and City are a very well supported club within the City, particularly the southern half, but like most clubs have never had much support from elsewhere.

People are missing the point Guardiola is making. He is on about noise levels. No matter how good they do they simply don't have a support with a singing culture like the likes of Man Utd do.

Not sure I agree with the rest of the post but as someone living in Manchester now this is definitely the case imo. I would say 70/30 is probably harsh on united and closer to 80/20 really. I expected more like 50/50 before I moved here based on what I had heard.

Blows the stupid myth that people from Manchester support City and Utds support is outsiders.

Last edited:
Man City have some really good fans but it looks like winning becomes boring after a while

I wonder if some of them would genuinely quite like to be shite again?

I often wonder the same. When you are nearly sure of winning 90% of your games, does the excitement wane?
Was hoping against hope that Shaun Goater might grab a last minute equaliser against Huddersfield more exciting than turning up against Huddersfield knowing you are going to win 3 or 4 nil?

All seater stadiums are not the problem......see other countries for proof of this.

Difference is we have an obsession with sitting/standing in allocated seats as opposed to just standing where you want like in other countries (this only happens behind the goal generally)

Whats this bullshit with ckubs booing the champions league anthem???

Its absolutely class

When I went to aroma they were singing along to it, I found it bizarre

Started when Kiev stadium was closed after City fans had paid a lot of money for travel and accommodation. It was not refunded.

It was Moscow. Few city made it in but their own club got them chucked out

Last edited:
Now doing a lot of work in that sentence.

I mean of course they are if contemporary success comes into, global standing and all that. Kids in Shanghai are not arsed about the us or the mags, I fully accept that. But I think in terms of their pre-emirati history, domestic fanbase, standing, all that difficult to measure stuff? You think they're a bigger club than Everton? Really? Ok.

It's still unbelievable they can't sell out a Champions League quarter-final without giving the tickets away. Hope Spurs send them packing.

Besides, do you mean any club I mentioned? Like United, Spurs, Liverpool? My main contention is that they are not in this top echelon and they aren't.

Globally, the big clubs in England are Arsenal, Liverpool, United and - at a push - Chelsea. They are not in that league and I think they are probably behind Spurs too, because Son is a huge star and Spurs are bigger historically.
Chelsea are everything you accuse City of being.

Back