Grim lloking pubs

The Hearts of Oak at Peterlee was always nice.
hearts of oak was canny. used to go in every tuesday when i was younger.
had a spell of about 5 years away from the place and when i returned it had the same people sitting at the same chairs taliking about the same shite.
The Black Diamond in Easington Colliery used to get a bit hairy in the 80's IIRC, no idea if it's still going but I wouldn't have thought so.

I lived down Hendon for nigh on 10 years and only went in there the once, the Hendon Grange and Blue House were also out of bounds, the Vicky Gardens was always canny and I liked the Tap n Spile for a pint of real ale and a game of Bar Billiards.
the diamond was where a bike club i used to be in had it's meetings. had some quite interesting clientele. never thought of it as particularly rough though, just folk getting monged.

Last edited:

the diamond was where a bike club i used to be in had it's meetings. had some quite interesting clientele. never thought of it as particularly rough though, just folk getting monged.
I only went in a couple of times from college days and it always had a very bad name, no idea if the name was justified but I reckon its fair to say it'll have had its moments:)

The Windsor in Kingston Park has done pretty much the same thing.

I lived there in the early 90s and we went for a beer and 'No Limits' came on and the place went Radge - some old granny was gyrating around hanging onto a pole and slipped went crashing down a few steps and I was sure she had broken a hip.... she just bounced straight up and carried on dancing

Ones next to stations are usually grim. I think this is one I popped into in Dover while waiting for a train:
Logon or register to see this image

Growing up in Blackfell, I didn't go to the local pubs and would either head through to Sunderland or walk up to the Bowes (and the Mill House after they did it up). The Honest Boy was pretty friendly once you got inside but I only ever went there a couple of times:

I suppose its problem is for attractiveness it always had stiff competition from The Whitehouse on the other side of the path:

Something about square 70s build does not really sell a place to you.
Seen some great bands in the whitehouse, seen All About Eve in the honest boy.

Never go in a pub with a flat roof!

Wise words ! All shitholes and potentail death traps , and nothing to do with the flat roof either
A lot of these type of pubs have closed over last 20 years, thankfully
Not sure if sarcastic but its just been done out and looks quite nice now.:lol:
I nominate the Sportsmans in Horden. It doesn't even have a sign to say its calls the Sportsmans, or even a pub for that matter.

Isnt that just a converted house?
Its a horror show, no question.
Fun fact, Wetherspoons looked to buy the whole place to be one of their Wetherlodges. But decided it would cost too much to sort it out. So they bought a unit in the old Fine Fare instead.

Working in a hotel down South in the late 80s, the Head Chef knowing I was from County Durham asked me what I knew about the Norseman in Peterlee ( as it was then called) he was thinking of buying it. I warned him off, and looking back it wasnt that bad then, he owes me big style, I could've ruined his life

Last edited:
Ran by an ex lads player though.
Well, he was on the bench, once (I think)

Oddly, I've never been in.

Knocked down years back.
Only went in once - our school leaving do
Mate got bottled on the way out.

Yeah it is. I live nearby and on a sunny day you can often see him sunbathing on the flat part of the roof :lol:
Wise words ! All shitholes and potentail death traps , and nothing to do with the flat roof either
A lot of these type of pubs have closed over last 20 years, thankfully

Isnt that just a converted house?

Working in a hotel down South in the late 80s, the Head Chef knowing I was from County Durham asked me what I knew about the Norseman in Peterlee ( as it was then called) he was thinking of buying it. I warned him off, and looking back it wasnt that bad then, he owes me big style, I could've ruined his life

Aye.

The Top House at Wingate was, and as far as I know still is, an entertaining night out.

When I worked on some house renovations at Station Town 20 odd years ago it was lovely seeing the breakfast club going into the Corner House.

Aye. It was where thornbury care centre is now. The thorndale was opposite side of the field.
I always got those mixed up. They didn't seem to try and hide the fact either. Maybe the police preferred knowing where everyone was.

It was actually nice in the 80's. Someone who knew what they were doing would have done a fine job with it, and it wouldn't be the absolute mess it is now

Back