Grigg - proxy striker

Not defending him as such, just stating he isn't shit. If Wyke had have left on loan at Christmas he would still be deemed as 'shit' on SMB. Its just not true.
Sometimes it's just the wrong club at the wrong time. Like many on here I'm convinced he didn't want to be here. As a pro should you let that affect the way you perform, id say no, but the reality is we are all human. We just arent the right club for him. He let us and himself down by not doing his job properly.

He never seemed up for it here and missing an open goal after rounding the keeper on his debut didn’t help, he never seemed to recover from that.
If you look at his previous clubs Walsall, Brentford, MK Dons and Wigan he’d probably never been under the scrutiny that he was here.
Some players can’t handle that, I honestly think that was also an issue.

Either way he isn't "shit" is he.
He had plenty of chances in various formations and missed many easy opportunities. I think he started quite well in terms of effort and movement but that slumped with his confidence and clearly Johnson wasn’t impressed. Is Grigg absolutely shit, probably not. Has he been shit for us- definitely and has to take responsibility for a large part of that although undoubtedly management didn’t help.

No he isn't he's a lazy. spineless bastard who just couldn't be arsed to do the job he was being paid handsomely to do. I wish people would stop making excuses for him.

I wish I could like this more than once. Grigg's whole demeanour since he signed has been absolutely pathetic. He didn't want to be at Sunderland but wanted the money more, and wasn't professional enough to just get his head down. Instead he just sulked about giving absolutely nothing in return and diminished his value to the point we will have to give him away, and probably pay him for the privilege if it's earlier than his contract end.

Would love to see his career flitter into nothing when he leaves Sunderland.

I have no idea when his contact ends.

Last edited:
He was struggling at Wigan before we signed him, Wigan played Donald like a fiddle once they realised our other targets had dropped out.

The problem with him not really wanting to be here was that once it started going wrong he could claim that the move wasn’t his idea so his poor form wasn’t his fault.

I’m not going to say he started feigning injuries but there did seem to be some constant doubts about his availability in the last phase of his time here.

Walsall Wigan Brentford MK Dons and Sunderland which is the odd one out and why

the bloke is small time and was probably happy to be until our stupid ex owner forced him to move to our massive club

Back