Grigg man, ffs ...

IMO Wyke is suffering from the other extreme, to Grigg, in that he's trying too hard.

Once he scores a few and really gets the crowd behind him I think he'll settle down and show his old form.

The Sunderland crowd will forgive a lot, providing they see some effort, and Wyke is testimony to that.
neither wyke or grigg are getting the ball in the box though. Wyke put a good shift in today holding things up but he was waiting 5-8 seconds before anyone appeared near him. Grigg reminds me of marcus stewart when he first arrived... and look how good he was when we actually gave him service. I know we want him sprinting around without the ball , but its obviously not his game. Ross failing to bring in players to provide service to our forwards or back them up makes Grigg effectively useless, and Wyke too to some extent.

... do yourself a favour.

92 minutes, you're fresh on and Portsmouth are passing it along their back line.

So you're strolling between them with no urgency when we're defending a slender lead.

Your manager has put his neck on the block by defending you, including you and putting you on the pitch.

And the supporters clapped you onto the pitch which, on recent displays, you've barely deserved.

If you don't want to be here just spit it out and we can have you gone in January.
I wasn’t there and couldn’t watch on tv but I can see it in my minds eye. Infuriating is the politest way to put it.
Altidore did the same thing more than once, I remember him standing stock still behind their man on the ball about six foot away from him. He’d come on in the 80summit minute anarl. Imagine if Rooney had come on in the same situation? I remember Rooney announcing himself on the world stage by running from behind zidane and nicking it off him then running off with it at a WC or Euros? That’ll nivver be Grigg or Altidore. Lazy and spoilt and not half as good as they think they are.
Can we swap him for Defoe?

It worked the first time...
As above!

Last edited:
... do yourself a favour.

92 minutes, you're fresh on and Portsmouth are passing it along their back line.

So you're strolling between them with no urgency when we're defending a slender lead.

Your manager has put his neck on the block by defending you, including you and putting you on the pitch.

And the supporters clapped you onto the pitch which, on recent displays, you've barely deserved.

If you don't want to be here just spit it out and we can have you gone in January.

Iam not known for targeting players, but frankly he’s not a team player. There is no such thing as a goal poacher these days. Teams need 11+defenders and strikers who are fit enough to close down with intensity and then be able spring into action with an attack.

He’s not moved his family into even a rented house in the area so he’s travelling up and down from Cheshire. Sorry but you may as well drink every day because of the effect that has on you. Without your support structure around in terms of your family this effects your performance.

He’s trying to have his cake and eat it and he just looks lost with no idea what to do next.

Work hard and the crowd will get behind you, simple as that, as long as we can see they are putting the effort in, it’s not a lot to ask really.

He was the same in the home friendly game, gentle little jogs to close the defenders down, let them pass it without putting any real pressure on, once they’ve passed it, it’s like, well it’s someone else’s job to sort now I’ve done my bit.

There was a couple sat behind me in the friendly game, the lass said to her partner, “that player with the beard looks ever so sad, I think he’s depressed” 😂😂

Not as depressed as we will be if we have to keep watching him!!

I think it’s low confidence. I bloody hope he’s not finished here because for the fee we need to get a tune out of him
Anyone can put themselves about marra. Even any of us could until we ran out of breath. Fans, team mates, coaches, owners etc see it and appreciate it. It’s team game, everyone knows players have bad patches and bad form but hiding away is selfish. His team mates won’t be happy. JR won’t either but as long as it’s kept in-house he can be as unhappy as he wants.

neither wyke or grigg are getting the ball in the box though. Wyke put a good shift in today holding things up but he was waiting 5-8 seconds before anyone appeared near him. Grigg reminds me of marcus stewart when he first arrived... and look how good he was when we actually gave him service. I know we want him sprinting around without the ball , but its obviously not his game. Ross failing to bring in players to provide service to our forwards or back them up makes Grigg effectively useless, and Wyke too to some extent.

I like you analogy to STEWART, I can see that. But hat was over 15 years ago.....even in that time football has changed enormouslly.
I do see in Wyke and McNulty players who get stuck in and unsettle defenders, creating enforced errors that lead to goals. One in each of the last two league games actually. It’s good enough for Man City it’s good enough for us

Don't think even Wyke will score many goals this will be our biggest problem this season

You may be right and I suggested recently that our goals will come from midfield with someone like Wyke as the pivot.

We have plenty who can strike a ball, McGeady, Gooch, Power, Leadbitter, etc, and, with Wyke, Maguire, McNulty pulling defenders around we should create gaps to get shots away. Wyke has to learn to go down, at times, if he's fouled so we can exploit our dead ball players.

And I still think Watmore has a part to play in all this, getting behind defenders and doing what Grigg failed to do yesterday ...
... he'd have harrassed the Portsmouth back line until the last second.

Iam not known for targeting players, but frankly he’s not a team player. There is no such thing as a goal poacher these days. Teams need 11+defenders and strikers who are fit enough to close down with intensity and then be able spring into action with an attack.

He’s not moved his family into even a rented house in the area so he’s travelling up and down from Cheshire. Sorry but you may as well drink every day because of the effect that has on you. Without your support structure around in terms of your family this effects your performance.

He’s trying to have his cake and eat it and he just looks lost with no idea what to do next.
When is he doing all this travelling? He's been living in Roker.

Complete charlatan. Even Jozy made an effort now and then. He's the new Rodwell, lazy and disinterested. Not even sure the abject knacker is a real footballer, reckon he's conning everyone and is actually a plumber from Hemel Hempstead.

" I know we want him sprinting around without the ball , but its obviously not his game."

At that stage of the match that should've been his game, his whole game and nothing but his game.

When he was allegedly warming up he stopped in the corner, walking around and only occasionally excercising.
Really want the lad to come good, but it’s becoming clear his attitude is not great.

Back