Greggs Vegan Sausage Roll

Greggs make much more money from the vegan roll than the meat roll which is good because it allows them to plough the profits into the breakfast menu meaning they can now afford to give us an extra sausage or rasher of bacon in our sandwiches.

Greggs make much more money from the vegan roll than the meat roll which is good because it allows them to plough the profits into the breakfast menu meaning they can now afford to give us an extra sausage or rasher of bacon in our sandwiches.

Vegan breakfast options will be next on the list. That's a bit gap in the market.

Vegan breakfast options will be next on the list. That's a bit gap in the market.

Porridge pots are very popular amongst the modern hipsters I've noticed. Although why anyone "right on" enough to be vegan would even be seen dead in a shit hole like Greggs is the bit I don't get. Is there not Organic Café next door that sells avocado ice cream, Egg plant and hummus wraps, lentil soup, free trade coffee with soy milk and modified biscuits for the lactose intolerant.

Last edited:
Porridge pots are very popular amongst the modern hipsters I've noticed. Although why anyone "right on" enough to be vegan would even be seen dead in a shit hole like Greggs is the bit I don't get. Is there not Organic Café next door that sells avocado ice cream, Egg plant and hummus wraps, lentil soup, free trade coffee with soy milkairy milk and modified biscuits for the lactose intolerant.

You'd have to be a snob to avoid Greggs. I think the stereotype of that sort of vegan is way off the mark, I don't know anyone like that and I know plenty vegetarians and vegans, and I live in vegan-central of Hackney. Those people are health and gym freaks.

every bugger jumping on the vegan bandwagon, trying to get some of the greggs attention

Even batter than the real thing? Fish and chips goes vegan

They have had fish fingers out for ages so this was a natural progression, everyone brings new products out in Jan for Veganury, Greggs have won the mainstream PR war for sure though, theres some "fish" goujons that are pretty good as well in Tesco and Harverster pubs use them. Asda bringing a range of similar vegan fish, along with vegan checken kiev and other things. Tesco brought out a range of pasties and sausague rolls this month as well and have never got any real mainstream PR attention.

The bandwagon has been in place for a year or more to be honest most chain pubs, restaraunts and supermarkets have been expanding vegan option rapidly, Dominos launched vegan pizza for example, Iceland have added a decent range tharts expanding and even places like Toby Carvery and Nandos that are very meat focused has multiple vegan options.

Some companies keep quite about moving to vegan as well for example Guiness changed their receipe last year to remove the fish gut filtering and suspect outside the vegan community most people dont know.

Seitan sausages, Tempeh bacon, and scrambled tofu.

Beans, tomatoes, mushrooms and hash browns remain largely unchanged, except perhaps for cooking method.

Roll on the vegan revolution...

Some companies keep quite about moving to vegan as well for example Guiness changed their receipe last year to remove the fish gut filtering and suspect outside the vegan community most people dont know.
They do know. Barnivore is your friend.

There you go

Company email (January 2019)
"All Guinness Draught produced in St. James’s Gate Brewery for bottle, can and keg format is brewed without using isinglass to filter the beer and vegans can now enjoy a pint of Guinness. This includes Guinness Hop House 13, Guinness Golden Ale, Dublin Porter and West Indies Porter."

Last edited:
Seitan sausages, Tempeh bacon, and scrambled tofu.

Beans, tomatoes, mushrooms and hash browns remain largely unchanged, except perhaps for cooking method.

Roll on the vegan revolution...

They do know. Barnivore is your friend.

There you go
You can get a Vegan breakfast in Sunderland, Bojangles do it on Sea Road and Good Apple Cafe.

Yeah know Vegans know but they didnt make a mainstream PR thing out of it like Greggs have.

Unlike Greggs, vegans don't have sausage rolls to sell !

Good Apple Cafe is nice. May try Bojangles next time I am up.
They tried to go fully vegan few months ago, only lasted couple months though as they lost too many of their morning regulars, think outside of Newcastle is a hard slog to be a fully vegan place. Another new Vegan cafe opens up Newcastle next week.

You'd have to be a snob to avoid Greggs. I think the stereotype of that sort of vegan is way off the mark, I don't know anyone like that and I know plenty vegetarians and vegans, and I live in vegan-central of Hackney. Those people are health and gym freaks.
Or someone who likes food.

Had one today, they are lovely. No grease, pastry holds together better and the filling is just as nice as the normal one. I don't eat sausage rolls often but i'll be getting them instead of the normal ones going forward.

Had one today, they are lovely. No grease, pastry holds together better and the filling is just as nice as the normal one. I don't eat sausage rolls often but i'll be getting them instead of the normal ones going forward.

I tried one earlier also. Was ok, only difference I noticed was the texture of the filing was more pasty. Flavour was similar and as you say, pastry wanwas as greasy.

I quite like idea of going vegetarian, even vegan but it's just the extra work oi doing so. Would have to be fully committed and need to do a lot more prep.

I tried one earlier also. Was ok, only difference I noticed was the texture of the filing was more pasty. Flavour was similar and as you say, pastry wanwas as greasy.

I quite like idea of going vegetarian, even vegan but it's just the extra work oi doing so. Would have to be fully committed and need to do a lot more prep.

Vegetarian is a doddle if you can cook.
Vegan is much, much harder work, not necessarily with cooking, but finding stuff when you're out, particularly abroad. You've got to be prepared.

This.

If you're a vegan/vegetarian then stop eating stuff that "tastes" like meat !!!

Who are you like?

Back