Greggs £300 staff bonus

You mean people like Gordon brown that deregulated the industry? That charlatan. You really have no idea about banking do you?

Just because something is legal, it doesn’t make it right. The greed of the banks caused the recession. The recession caused austerity and austerity has fucked society. You could even say austerity is what gave us Brexit.
Life is what you make it , some have the drive and are prepared to risk everything to succeed, some like to be supported by the state.

Theres plenty of folk between those two extremes , some have strong views either way , deal with it.

Having the drive to succeed does not mean you get to trample on those below you.

Just because something is legal, it doesn’t make it right. The greed of the banks caused the recession. The recession caused austerity and austerity has fucked society. You could even say austerity is what gave us Brexit.

Having the drive to succeed does not mean you get to trample on those below you.
The greed of people that took mortgages was the root cause. If you want to be factual.

Really? We’re going to blame the little guy and absolve the banks? Okay.

Lots of people had their part to play. Clearly high level banking figures can shoulder a large proportion of it, but plenty of others played their part.

For example there were the people applying for mortgages way beyond their capacity to afford it despite reasonable properties and mortgages being easily within their reach.

Another example would be call centre mortgage sales staff in the north east who were fully aware the applicants weren’t being entirely truthful on their applications but wanted the sales bonus anyway.

Greed was at the root of it all. But it wasn’t solely the high level bankers who were being greedy.

Really? We’re going to blame the little guy and absolve the banks? Okay.
Nope that's not what I said. I'm highly critical of the behaviour of banks. I always have been.

I've been even more about human greed.

Let's face it everyone is now a cds expert because they saw margot Robbie in a bath.

For me if I was a director or whatever of Greggs I would of put it to staff would each of you rather have a £300 bonus or would you all rather go into a draw for the chance of winning a £70000 bonus so 100 people would win a massive amount. I reckon if I was an employee I would of voted for the draw

I would guess a large percentage may be on less than the personal allowance of £12500 so they would get it tax free. They deserve every penny because anybody living below that doesn't have a lot of spare cash.

A £300 bonus to Greggs workers will be clawed back by the state, but bonuses of hundreds of thousands to bankers will be paid via shell companies in the f***ing Cayman Islands and the state won’t see a penny.
Yeah but the majority of the British public are happy with this. They voted to leave the organisation that voted to clamp down on this shit.....then voted in twice a govt that revels in looking after those at the top end.

Some of the bonus they will see and still be better off than the previous month, but when you on a means tested benefit of course earnings will be taken into account in some way.
They should maybe give the staff the option of receiving the bonus monthly over the year. They'd see more of it that way I think. Or maybe it wouldn't make much difference on a small bonus like that.

They should maybe give the staff the option of receiving the bonus monthly over the year. They'd see more of it that way I think. Or maybe it wouldn't make much difference on a small bonus like that.

Yeah they would as UC simply takes into account earnings in a given month/assessment period.

I would guess a large percentage may be on less than the personal allowance of £12500 so they would get it tax free. They deserve every penny because anybody living below that doesn't have a lot of spare cash.
They wouldn't be taxed on it, but will probably lose a good 60 percent of whatever the taper rate might be.
Yeah they would as UC simply takes into account earnings in a given month/assessment period.

I've heard of people struggling because they get paid every 4 weeks rather than every month so could end up with 8 weeks pay in one assessment period.

Last edited:
Lots of people had their part to play. Clearly high level banking figures can shoulder a large proportion of it, but plenty of others played their part.

For example there were the people applying for mortgages way beyond their capacity to afford it despite reasonable properties and mortgages being easily within their reach.

Another example would be call centre mortgage sales staff in the north east who were fully aware the applicants weren’t being entirely truthful on their applications but wanted the sales bonus anyway.

Greed was at the root of it all. But it wasn’t solely the high level bankers who were being greedy.
Well the buyer is buying one house every 15 to 20 years
The mortgage lender is serving 15 buyers a day
I'd put the latter in the driving seat as far as being more aware of possible pitfalls and policing it

Well the buyer is buying one house every 15 to 20 years
The mortgage lender is serving 15 buyers a day
I'd put the latter in the driving seat as far as being more aware of possible pitfalls

No one in work should need benefits.

instead of benefits to those in work, reduce the tax bill to greggs and increase the minimum wage. The company is no worse off, neither is the employee and the government doesn’t have to manage a broken system anymore.

Agree. For each person on UC there is probably a part timer paying no tax at all.

And there will be plenty others not on UC as well.

No one in work should need benefits.

instead of benefits to those in work, reduce the tax bill to greggs and increase the minimum wage. The company is no worse off, neither is the employee and the government doesn’t have to manage a broken system anymore.

This would leave some people in poverty.

Back