Great North Run

I had a quick ask around & it's the people who've ran every GNR since the 1st one. There's a woman in my running club was a member until she missed the 2010 race. They're entitled to start in zone A if they want to regardless of expected finish time.

why? fair play to them for doing them all but what benefit is it to them to be at the front?

nice one might sign up for that if the swelling in my knees dies down over the next couple of days. in all my training i never had a single problem with my knees, can barely walk today. calves and hammies and everything else is perfectly fine

It’s a really flat course mate and excellent for a PB. Be warned though, the wind along the coast can be tough.

As long as you don’t mind laps, the Town Moor half is canny

It’s a really flat course mate and excellent for a PB. Be warned though, the wind along the coast can be tough.

As long as you don’t mind laps, the Town Moor half is canny

sound, looks canny. only thing putting me off is that we are at home that day, and if i miss it then it'll be nearly 2 months without a saturday home match.

race starts at 1007 - would aim to finish by 1200, potentially home by 1330 and still get out for a pint like. i'm gonna register in a couple of days if me knees stop killing me. i'll be aiming to wipe 5 minutes off my GNR time like

sound, looks canny. only thing putting me off is that we are at home that day, and if i miss it then it'll be nearly 2 months without a saturday home match.

race starts at 1007 - would aim to finish by 1200, potentially home by 1330 and still get out for a pint like. i'm gonna register in a couple of days if me knees stop killing me. i'll be aiming to wipe 5 minutes off my GNR time like

Different days mate. Redcar is the Sunday

Thanks, i'm really chuffed with it to be honest.

I only started running in April 2018 aged 37, I couldn't even finish a 5k in 25 mins when I 1st started. Running has given a completely new lease of life. 2 stone lighter and met some great people along the way.
I'm at where you were last April. Started exercising and eating better a few months ago and have lost over a stone. I was watching yesterday as a few people I knew were doing it and I'm thinking about doing the next one.

My son did it for the first time. He’s 33 yrs old, he’s a fit lad but doesn’t do any running at all and didn’t prepare for this other than his normal gym routine.
It’s the first run he’s ever done. He told me he ran for 12 miles then walked for three minutes then ran again. His legs were aching when he was in a pub in Shields.
I was worried about him I don’t mind saying.

That's about my average difference between the 2 races although it's a bit skewed by 1 year when I had a tumoured lymph node removed the day after GNR & my Redcar time was consequently 28secs slower.

I'm a 19 stone, 56year old biffer. Started in the last pink block. Jogged the first 7km without a break other than dodging lots of walkers. After that it was a jog/walk to the end. Mostly jogging. My 5k splits were pretty even. 36, 39, 48, 49.

I shuffled along with the walking dead from mile eleven to twelve and finished in 3hr 1minute. First time I've done it for 8 years, tenth time I've done it in total. Enjoyed every minute of it and I'm going to apply next year. I'm even going to do a bit more training.

GNR isn't about PB hunting unless you are up in the elites. It's a social event made up of experience tickers who just want to do it once. If you want to brag about how fast you can do a half marathon, choose a different event. My pb is 104 minutes achieved 32 years ago, it's a meaningless number.

Enjoy it for what it is and let the shufflers and walkers enjoy it too.

I used to work for the council down the sea front, 6 o'clock start and usually about an 8 finish. It's a long day, even when the runners are finished you still had to go into the tents to tidy up.
All I got was a medal and a bloody t-shirt:)

Back